U18 Champs Allies vs Victoria Country, Gabba, Bris Vegas, Queensland, Sunday July 3 @ 11.30am

Remove this Banner Ad

Can’t see it with Madden with his inability to get around the ground

If Sam Hayes can’t get a game when Port have no other rucks for same reason then I think Madden will struggle more

I am with Jeff on this one.

I can't see one AFL quality with Madden, sure he is a lump of a kid who gets his spot in the team simply due to the fact he has size.

His lack of mobility and athleticism renders him NQR for the AFL in my opinion.

I don't get the hype behind Jhye Clark? He seems to have no elite traits at all. Basically a Tanner Bruhn clone at best.

And Aaron Cadman basically looks like a worse version of Daniel Mcstay. a far worse kick. average mobility. I don't see the appeal.

And Olivier Northam, I also don't see the appeal. Unathletic, slow and poor skills. He's also undersized for a ruckman at 195cm.

Are my eyes deceiving me?
you are free to your opinions and should stick to your guns with them :thumbsu:

any elite traits there? looks to have no burst from stoppage, not an elite kick. basically Tanner Bruhn.

Each to their own, agree to disagree.

Hard to teach kids how to read the play and know just where to go.

He held his own very well, against a much touted SA midfield.

you are free to your opinions and should stick to your guns with them :thumbsu:
lol, nah im not a follower of this draft. it's only my first time watching them play. But I wasn't impressed. But what position would Northam even play? He is too short for ruck and too slow for basically any other position..?

Allies 42 V Vic Country 75

a dominant display from Vic Country, very defensive game and some poor skills from both sides, but Vic Country remain undefeated

Allies:
Marlin Corbett - was 1 of a few Allies who played well today
Tom McCallum - was again a really impressive defending performance, got put onto Konstanty in the last to quell his influence
Jed Walter - went goaless, but worked into the contest especially early
Brandon Leary - being in the right spot and taking his chances with 3 goals

Vic Country:
Mitch Szybkowski - i thought he was the best player on the field, his work in close in the midfield the whole game was great, didnt make many errors and teamed up with Clark and others to control the midfield all game
Jhye Clark - again a fantastic display from the Geelong midfielder, his forward entries were the best from VC and he set up plenty of opportunities to score
Ted Clohesy - played a solid role through defence and the midfield, i thought he showed composure and skill
Jaxon Binns - even though he made a lot of errors, he was just so busy and won a tonne of poss, not his best game but still worked hard
Jacob Konstanty - kicked 3 goals and was a dangerous leading small forward, couldve kicked 4-5
Aaron Cadman - kicked a couple of goals couldve been 4 a bit inaccurate, also set up others for 3-4 scoring chances and the run off the mark on 50 to then miss on an angel from 15m was buddy-like with that big contested mark in the goal square just before 3/4 time screams potential star, exciting talent

mentions: Mitchell, Long, Hollands, Burgiel, H.Reid, Vickery, Bond, Hustwaite, Van Es

lol, nah im not a follower of this draft. it's only my first time watching them play. But I wasn't impressed. But what position would Northam even play? He is too short for ruck and too slow for basically any other position..?
I'm not high on Northam, showed a bit as a KPF last year because he's got some good evasion skills and is very aggressive at the footy, hasn't played there much this year though

you remind me of the guys on the Hawks board who expect the new draftees to be the end result, they also called Hodge crap in his first couple years and maybe you also didnt like Petracca in his first couple of seasons? maybe? just a guess?

what im saying is you have to see the bigger picture and give them time.

PS did a quick look and you hated Petracca in 2019, didnt look further back, but wowee yep........

Last edited:
I only care about the Tasmanians :straining:

Tom McCallum: Allies best defender, took some good marks and never lost a 1v1. Likes to run with the ball out of defense. Usually makes decent decisions. Would be close to BOG for Allies. Sneaky chance to be drafted imo!

Lachie Cowan: Not his best game, but had some good moments. He won some contests and is able to break away from them and take a run and bounce but made weird decisions sometimes with the ball. Is a good kick just needs to take better options with the ball.

Brandon Leary: Kicked 3 goals from limited opportunities, he is sneaky player reading the play pretty well on a couple of occassions, pretty clean disposal when he gets it up the ground. Could maybe be the next Jye Menzie with a bit of a draft chance late/rookie! He has come from nowhere over the last two years!

Seth Campbell: Quiet game, looks small as he is like 3 or 4 days out from being not eligible to be drafted this year. Hit the gym hard and get some of McVeigh's "vitamins" into him and he might be alright :)

Ryley Sanders: Seemed to get a decent amount of the ball but a bit scrappy with it. Needs another year of development.

I don't get the hype behind Jhye Clark? He seems to have no elite traits at all. Basically a Tanner Bruhn clone at best.

And Aaron Cadman basically looks like a worse version of Daniel Mcstay. a far worse kick. average mobility. I don't see the appeal.

And Olivier Northam, I also don't see the appeal. Unathletic, slow and poor skills. He's also undersized for a ruckman at 195cm.

Are my eyes deceiving me?
Elite workrate
Elite football IQ / Feel

These are probably the two most important traits for modern midfielders

What is elite about Travis boak?

Those exact same two things.

I think Clark and Ashcroft are both great comparisons to trav, both are genuine footballers with high workrate.

If either of them busts I’ll eat s**t.

you remind me of the guys on the Hawks board who expect the new draftees to be the end result, they also called Hodge crap in his first couple years and maybe you also didnt like Petracca in his first couple of seasons? maybe? just a guess?

what im saying is you have to see the bigger picture and give them time.

PS did a quick look and you hated Petracca in 2019, didnt look further back, but wowee yep........
Well I watched Petracca at Eastern Ranges as a junior and he always had elite traits. Hence went at pick 2. Hodge also, hence went pick 1. None of the VC guys showed anything. With Clark, what are the elite traits that you see? a pure accumulator? A jack Steven without the pace?

I only care about the Tasmanians :straining:

Tom McCallum: Allies best defender, took some good marks and never lost a 1v1. Likes to run with the ball out of defense. Usually makes decent decisions. Would be close to BOG for Allies. Sneaky chance to be drafted imo!

Lachie Cowan: Not his best game, but had some good moments. He won some contests and is able to break away from them and take a run and bounce but made weird decisions sometimes with the ball. Is a good kick just needs to take better options with the ball.

Brandon Leary: Kicked 3 goals from limited opportunities, he is sneaky player reading the play pretty well on a couple of occassions, pretty clean disposal when he gets it up the ground. Could maybe be the next Jye Menzie with a bit of a draft chance late/rookie! He has come from nowhere over the last two years!

Seth Campbell: Quiet game, looks small as he is like 3 or 4 days out from being not eligible to be drafted this year. Hit the gym hard and get some of McVeigh's "vitamins" into him and he might be alright :)

Ryley Sanders: Seemed to get a decent amount of the ball but a bit scrappy with it. Needs another year of development.
I reckon McCallum gets drafted in main draft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Elite workrate
Elite football IQ / Feel

I think Clark and Ashcroft are both great comparisons to trav, both are genuine footballers with high workrate.

Bankables for sure

Elite workrate
Elite football IQ / Feel

Travis Boak has elite foot skills. Good kicking penetration too.

I've only seen clark play once but all he did was get the ball kick it 20m. And he also had some horrific turnovers by foot. Like other posters have suggested, if you want elite workmate and elite football IQ, they're everywhere. Charlie Spargo, Rhylee West etc. You don't pick them with high picks. I'd like to see vision of him slicing through a stoppage, kicking goals on the run from 50m or something along those lines. I didn't see any of that in guys like Clark or Hollands or Szybowski. At least a guy like Konstanty has a point of difference in their game.

Well I watched Petracca at Eastern Ranges as a junior and he always had elite traits. Hence went at pick 2. Hodge also, hence went pick 1. None of the VC guys showed anything. With Clark, what are the elite traits that you see? a pure accumulator? A jack Steven without the pace?
well Clark isnt going to be number 1 or 2 in the draft

Jhye Clark is consistently good against his peers at the state level for over 2 years, thats an elite skill (he was the best vic country player against vic metro last year and in the champs this year)

he wins the hard ball and can run from clearances, whether you consider bravery or the ability to run away from midfield tacklers elite?

he seems to be really good at hitting targets inside 50 which i consider an elite talent

he is always in the top 2-3 in his teams bests from memory, do you consider consistency an elite talent?

if you're looking for a brain dead, he has speed, athleticism, accumulator, strength, blah blah blah blah then read an article from some journalist(i personally hate using those terms as they are so generic and can mean 100 different things, also a player like Billy Hartung has elite pace, but he has no backbone so whats the point? he will never be elite, so why call it an elite trait if they cant even make it in the AFL? seems dumb to me)

Paddy Dow had elite traits, except he is s**t at footy, pick 3 and is barely a fringe player at Carlton, would you want a player like Dow with elite traits or someone who can play footy at a good level?, if you want elite traits you should trade for Paddy Dow and let someone else take Jhye Clark? maybe? just an idea?

pace doesnt make a midfielder good and usually the faster they run the less courage they have and therefore fail in the contest, but yea calling Jhye Clark bad with no elite traits is an interesting take, thats for sure.

Last edited:
Surprised to see negative talk about Jhye Clark. You could have the best coaches in the world but you can’t teach the sort of Footy IQ that he has.

Elite footy IQ, elite vision, elite training standards, elite leadership and elite decision making make up for his apparent lack of athleticism (which is well and truly overstated).

I see no reason why he can’t carve a career like Travis Boak.

well Clark isnt going to be number 1 or 2 in the draft

Jhye Clark is consistently good against his peers at the state level for over 2 years, thats an elite skill (he was the best vic country player against vic metro last year and in the champs this year)

he wins the hard ball and can run from clearances, whether you consider bravery or the ability to run away from midfield tacklers elite?

he seems to be really good at hitting targets inside 50 which i consider an elite talent

he is always in the top 2-3 in his teams bests from memory, do you consider consistency an elite talent?

if you're looking for a brain dead, he has speed, athleticism, accumulator, strength, blah blah blah blah then read an article from some journalist(i personally hate using those terms as they are so generic and can mean 100 different things, also a player like Billy Hartung has elite pace, but he has no backbone so whats the point? he will never be elite, so why call it an elite trait if they cant even make it in the AFL? seems dumb to me)

Paddy Dow had elite traits, except he is s**t at footy, pick 3 and is barely a fringe player at Carlton, would you want a player like Dow with elite traits or someone who can play footy at a good level?, if you want elite traits you should trade for Paddy Dow and let someone else take Jhye Clark? maybe? just an idea?

pace doesnt make a midfielder good and usually the faster they run the less courage they have and therefore fail in the contest, but yea calling Jhye Clark bad with no elite traits is an interesting take, thats for sure.
He sounds like serong did pre-draft

Surprised to see negative talk about Jhye Clark. You could have the best coaches in the world but you can’t teach the sort of Footy IQ that he has.

Elite footy IQ, elite vision, elite training standards, elite leadership and elite decision making make up for his apparent lack of athleticism (which is well and truly overstated).

I see no reason why he can’t carve a career like Travis Boak.
He's got elite traits.

He's super clean and one touch, he's got good burst and high workrate both ways, he's classy and his vision is elite, his decision making and how quickly he reads the game is also really good.

He sounds like serong did pre-draft

I’ve got a feeling detractors of Clarke on here also don’t rate Serong either, because he supposedly similarly lacks burst.

Definitely can see the Serong, Boak and even IMO Selwood comparisons with Clarke.

Just a natural, tough and high IQ footballer.

I’ve got a feeling detractors of Clarke on here also don’t rate Serong either, because he supposedly similarly lacks burst.

Definitely can see the Serong, Boak and even IMO Selwood comparisons with Clarke.

Just a natural, tough and high IQ footballer.
Andy Brayshaw type.

Josh Cooper showed plenty for the allies, especially in the second half. He looks to be an elite left foot, who can definitely have a significant impact on the game when finding more of the footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back