Injury Fremantle 2023 Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Academic question (as past can’t be changed) re Tabs’ many injuries: anyone with sports medicine background-or intel- with theories why he’s had so many?

I would rather he learn to kick drop punts first.
For many though the snap-around-the-corner-kick is a more accurate kick. Apparently Harry McKay is an example of this. Used to kick the drop punt more frequently with his set shots, but his goal accuracy has increased substantially since he switched to using the snap-style as standard. A classic case of utility-over-romance.

For many though the snap-around-the-corner-kick is a more accurate kick. Apparently Harry McKay is an example of this. Used to kick the drop punt more frequently with his set shots, but his goal accuracy has increased substantially since he switched to using the snap-style as standard. A classic case of utility-over-romance.
That's because he couldn't kick a drop punt to start with. For guys who can, the snap-style is only required from the boundary line - Lockett was the exception, he routinely nailed drop punts from the boundary.

That's because he couldn't kick a drop punt to start with. For guys who can, the snap-style is only required from the boundary line - Lockett was the exception, he routinely nailed drop punts from the boundary.
Quite possibly. But if it's more accurate it's more accurate. I think I might've heard that it's just more accurate across the board than drop punts.

Actually looked it up and here's an article ‘Just seems illogical’: AFL greats don’t get snapping set shots — but the numbers prove it works and excerpt from it re Hawkins:

From the past two seasons, Hawkins has attempted 19 deliberate snap set shots – ranked third – and converted a goal 73.7 per cent of the time. Champion Data’s expected accuracy percentage from those 19 shots was 52.3 per cent, so Hawkins has gone 21.4 per cent above expectation when snapping.

Also the amount of running Lockett did compared to current-day KPF's, let alone more mobile forwards, is almost like comparing sprinters to long distance runners in athletics, they're in different timezones. Lockett was a freak with his accuracy (so there's not going to be many like him in any period), but also didn't have to deal with the same levels of fatigue anywhere near as often as current-day forwards.

I love kicking a checkside from straight in front with a slight breeze, curling it back from looking like it was going to hit the behind post to go straight through the middle. Looks sweeeeeeet. Buys me a lot of rep with the four year olds but apparently "dad is better at football"

*ing pffft.

I love kicking a checkside from straight in front with a slight breeze, curling it back from looking like it was going to hit the behind post to go straight through the middle. Looks sweeeeeeet. Buys me a lot of rep with the four year olds but apparently "dad is better at football"

*ing pffft.
Put Dad flat on his arse with a monster tackle then see who gets the cred 😁

Academic question (as past can’t be changed) re Tabs’ many injuries: anyone with sports medicine background-or intel- with theories why he’s had so many?
He had a stress fracture in his foot in 2016/17 and hasn't been able to get through a full season since.

That suggests something biomechanical, and given the amount of running he does for a player his size I imagine there's still something there to be addressed that for whatever reason hasn't been achieved. (Sometimes these things just don't change).

He had a stress fracture in his foot in 2016/17 and hasn't been able to get through a full season since.

That suggests something biomechanical, and given the amount of running he does for a player his size I imagine there's still something there to be addressed that for whatever reason hasn't been achieved. (Sometimes these things just don't change).
He played just about every game in 2020 no? Seemed to benefit a lot from the shortened game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy Joy GIF

He missed the last game due to a quad strain, ironically after a press conference where he talked about finally being injury free.
possibly the most tabs thing ever

That's crazy news with Amiss. I genuinely thought he would not be playing again this year. Could he be some sort of Bailey Fritch wildcard in the finals or am I dreaming?

That's crazy news with Amiss. I genuinely thought he would not be playing again this year. Could he be some sort of Bailey Fritch wildcard in the finals or am I dreaming?
Seems highly unlikely, you'd think Amiss would have a lot of game conditioning to do to catch up to where he was, let alone just pure development to perform at AFL level.
But it'd be nice if he had him as a pull cord in case of emergency situation behind Lobb, Tabs, Meek and Treacy.

Gee we're really going to hope Peel makes the finals if Freo get past the first week of finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back