Prediction Changes v Hawks in Tassie

Remove this Banner Ad

I was not to fussed about selection as long as McComb was not in and Martin and McNeill was out. I missed Roarke being in as he was sub last week. Bloody hell Bevo giving another one of your favourite battlers a game for no reason. I did not mind West getting getting dropped he has been very quite for the last few weeks but for Roarke give me break.

Again, they aren’t like for like.

Even with Martin in the side last week, we played the two prong key fwds for majority minutes. The two ruckman had almost no impact up fwd.

We’ve clearly made the decision to remove two smalls from the side, to play 3 genuine tall fwds. English will play majority ruck.

The structure isn’t the same as last week. It’s obvious in the changes the coaches have made.

Thats my point exactly. We don't do "like for like"

It's the revolving door of selection and moving players into different positions.

You could probably argue that theres about 10 players who would be pretty confident they know their role week in week out.

The rest we play selection bingo with. Forward/Back/mid could be any position.

We must be going pretty bad when laying a few hard tackles and dishing out a couple of clean handballs guarantees a spot in the side.

Isn’t this kind of shitty return what McComb was hounded for when his output was similar?

If we want selection integrity across the board, then West can’t be handed games either.

Wait are you talking about West here? That's pretty much been his output recently.

We’ve dropped two small fwds. I think that’s enough to tell us the strategy is to go taller.

Nothing to do with like for like selections.
McNeil played majority wing last week, Roarke will take his spot, Martin played majority forward even if he had zero impact he still played there and Doc will slot in back and Treloar go forward would assume.

Structures exactly the same.

VDMs the one that makes no sense over West, I get he’s been quietish but he’s still much much better than VDM, and wouldn’t we want to back him in to turn it around as there’s possibly finals next week - I sure as hell want West out there if we play in a final, would be a disaster to not play him in a final

Anyway, Tis what it is - hope he dominates the VFL today

McNeil played majority wing last week, Roarke will take his spot, Martin played majority forward even if he had zero impact he still played there and Doc will slot in back and Treloar go forward would assume.

VDMs the one that makes no sense over West, I get he’s been quietish but he’s still much much better than VDM, and wouldn’t we want to back him in to turn it around as there’s possibly finals next week - I sure as hell want West out there if we play in a final, would be a disaster to not play him in a final

Matting played bench and Ruck was hardly ever forward

Martin didn’t play majority forward.

He played half game minutes with the majority of that in the ruck.

We played 2 tall fwds last week. This week we’ve dropped two smalls and a ruck to play 3 tall fwds with one ruckman.

Even if Rourke replaces McNeil who you say played wing, it’s the extra defender in Duryea for Martin and Bruce replacing West.

The structure isn’t the same.

Really hasn’t even been given a sniff has he? Has he even been an emergency?

The only theory I can think of is that they’ve already ruled him out of AFL level since his return and have instead ensured he can get a good chunk of VFL games in so he can attack the preseason in full.

Yeah, I was just hoping for the Bruce and Maclean A grader versions to return and improve our team to challenge this year. We'll see what happens tomorrow 🙏

Martin didn’t play majority forward.

He played half game minutes with the majority of that in the ruck.

We played 2 tall fwds last week. This week we’ve dropped two smalls and a ruck to play 3 tall fwds with one ruckman.

Even if Rourke replaces McNeil who you say played wing, it’s the extra defender in Duryea for Martin and Bruce replacing West.

The structure isn’t the same.
He took about a 3rd of all RCs and played 60% TOG so spent a decent chunk up forward, Timmy took two 3rds of RC and spent close to 90% TOG so between both of them they spent about half a game forward as the 3rd tall.

Of course Bruce over Martin will spend more time forward than ruck - but even with the 3 fwds most of the time there will only be two up there which is how we setup.

We haven’t dropped two smalls for a defender and a tall, we’ve swapped two smalls for two smalls - McNeil for Roarke, West for Treloar with Doc the 7th defender now, we never play 8 defenders. And Martin for Bruce.

There will of course be a bit of a difference between the position split between English/Bruce compared to English/Martin, but overall the structure is very similar - this isn’t even a bad thing though, I’ve been critical of us changing our structure from week to week, I’m much happier with us keeping the same structure week in week out.

But I also agree with Dogsman that changing roles for multiple players every week can’t be a good thing, id much rather see us replace like for like than switch multiple players out of their roles. It’s just not a good environment for players to find their feet and gel with their teammates when they’re constantly moving around - the thing that takes a team of champions to a champion team is the chemistry they have with their teammates, I just don’t see why we’re so persistent with the constant rope-a-dope selection.

It just really doesn’t make much sense

He took about a 3rd of all RCs and played 60% TOG so spent a decent chunk up forward, Timmy took two 3rds of RC and spent close to 90% TOG so between both of them they spent about half a game forward as the 3rd tall.

Of course Bruce over Martin will spend more time forward than ruck - but even with the 3 fwds most of the time there will only be two up there which is how we setup.

We haven’t dropped two smalls for a defender and a tall, we’ve swapped two smalls for two smalls - McNeil for Roarke, West for Treloar with Doc the 7th defender now, we never play 8 defenders. And Martin for Bruce.

There will of course be a bit of a difference between the position split between English/Bruce compared to English/Martin, but overall the structure is very similar - this isn’t even a bad thing though, I’ve been critical of us changing our structure from week to week, I’m much happier with us keeping the same structure week in week out.

But I also agree with Dogsman that changing roles for multiple players every week can’t be a good thing, id much rather see us replace like for like than switch multiple players out of their roles. It’s just not a good environment for players to find their feet and gel with their teammates when they’re constantly moving around - the thing that takes a team of champions to a champion team is the chemistry they have with their teammates, I just don’t see why we’re so persistent with the constant rope-a-dope selection.

It just really doesn’t make much sense

The flexibility mantra should more be a Plan B/Plan C in game move if things aren't working.

I'm the biggest Naughton as a forward supporter here but I even recognise that if he's not playing well or our defence is getting smashed, that moving him to defence just to steady the momentum is the right move. Then flick him forward again if need be.

But these week to week revolving door roles is a basket case. If anyone wants a gentle reminder, re-watch the sydney game when Hannan has played about 3 quarters of defence in his life and Treloar basically never has played half back. Both of them went on to get smashed in a must win game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The flexibility mantra should more be a Plan B/Plan C in game move if things aren't working.

I'm the biggest Naughton as a forward supporter here but I even recognise that if he's not playing well or our defence is getting smashed, that moving him to defence just to steady the momentum is the right move. Then flick him forward again if need be.

But these week to week revolving door roles is a basket case. If anyone wants a gentle reminder, re-watch the sydney game when Hannan has played about 3 quarters of defence in his life and Treloar basically never has played half back. Both of them went on to get smashed in a must win game.
100%, it’s really hard to comprehend why we’re so big on the flexibility mantra, will swing the axe changing players and roles all over the ground every week - yet come game day, the one time it actually makes sense to shift things around - we sit on our hands and do nothing?

I don’t really know what’s going on at this club right now mate honestly, we’re so far off the pace off field right now it’s not even funny. I really think people don’t understand how good this list is right now, and we’re gonna be lucky to even scrape into the 8?

It’s just sad tbh

West’s kicked 2 goals in the last 5 weeks, and besides a couple of nice assists in that time, hasn’t done a lot. His last two weeks have been particularly poor. For a small fwd, it’s a pretty poor return.

They’ve obviously decided to go taller up fwd, so a small’s missed out. VDM’s been poor for 1 week, West for multiple. It’s not really a controversial selection choice.

What makes it unusual is the non-like for like replacement and the selections the previous week.

Garcia out preformed McNeil, west and VDM then gets dropped against GWS.

Mcneil then performs to the same poor level against GWS, as does VDM. West have been average the last few weeks true but not as average as the above two.

On form west should have been dropped after the freo game not after the GWS game and both VDM and McNeil should have been out before Garcia.

Now Garcia is unsighted and west is out whilst we have McComb back in the mix and Roarke who doesn’t play as a forward.

The selection this week would suggest Roarke will play wing and either Williams goes back (Trelaor forward/Mid) or Hunter goes forward.

I could understand that if it were mid-season. It’s a must-win game and he is easily best 22. This isn’t Bevo looking after West, it’s Bevo being Bevo.

Good god, I hope there are some changes in our footy department at the end of the year.
This doesn't make any sense... of course you'd drop an out of form player for a must win game. If it were mid-season you're more likely to carry a guy like West through down periods of form.

3 under performers out, 2 of whom are in their first 2 seasons, 2 experienced campaigners in and the med sub promoted. The 2 ins are a tall forward and a lock down defender., glaring weaknesses. That's a conservative approach to selection. It's the last shot and a long one at that, experience in, inconsistent and underperforming inexperience out. The Selection Committee kept its head. Why the angst ?

Last edited:
This doesn't make any sense... of course you'd drop an out of form player for a must win game. If it were mid-season you're more likely to carry a guy like West through down periods of form.
He is not an ‘out of form player’ though.

My point was that sometimes players benefit from a week off. This is not the time to do it for West in my opinion.

So it does make sense, thanks.

Stats only two half the story. He hit a couple of GWS players bloody hard last week, shrugged numerous tackles and his hands were excellent. He is a very good footballer. Players like Roarke Smith are a dime a dozen.
The telling stats are tackles, one per centers, goal assists and goals. West's stats were well down for the last 2 weeks, he's in the side as a pressure small forward. His disposals and marks not down too far. I thought he was trying to play too outside last week. I'd say he was dropped for not following instructions.

He is not an ‘out of form player’ though.

My point was that sometimes players benefit from a week off. This is not the time to do it for West in my opinion.

So it does make sense, thanks.
"Out of form", "needing a spell", "tired legs". Whatever terminology can be applied, the result is the same. That is, a reduction in his output which has been clearly evident over the last few weeks. That is the reason he's been dropped for a must win game, rather than the underlying reasons behind the reduced output.

I agree you might give a guy a spell mid-season if he's tired, but you can't really afford to have little impact from a player in an important game too.

I think West is being managed. He’s a small, young guy and played over 10 games in a row now. His bash and crash style has got to hurt so a week to freshen up might be what he needs. He’s important to the team hence putting him as emergency just in case.

I think West is being managed. He’s a small, young guy and played over 10 games in a row now. His bash and crash style has got to hurt so a week to freshen up might be what he needs. He’s important to the team hence putting him as emergency just in case.
Prepping him for week 1 of the finals

Ludicrous decision to drop West. Honestly this season is cooked yet you play ppl who aren't in the future of the club. West hasn't even re-sighed yet. F Me this club selection decisions

West has been very quiet in the last 2 weeks. People can’t bang on about selection integrity, and then complain when an out of form player is dropped. I went to the freo and gws games, he did a few good things but was largely unsighted

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back