Collingwood-Richmond, is it a one way or two way rivalry?

Remove this Banner Ad

You are probably thinking about it in the context of your lifetime.

Carlton and Collingwood always seems to have been the biggest rivalry because there is a bit of class hatred mixed in with all the football stuff probably.

But through the ages Collingwood and Richmond has been the second biggest rivalry, between two neighbouring working class suburbs. And of course Carlton and Richmond is also a huge historical rivalry that was forged is class warfare and in many finals and grand finals. I may be wrong but I suspect the 23 finals in which Carlton and Richmond have met is the highest number of finals any two teams have played against each other. Actually just checked that and Collingwood have met Geelong in 25 finals which I am sure is the most frequent finals match-up in VFL/AFL history. But the Cats were not part of the Melbourne suburban landscape of course.

These rivalries were and are very real. They are just hidden from view in the modern context. But they will soon spring back to life if there is a run of finals between any of the big four clubs. You have to remember that while Collingwood and Richmond despise each other in one way both clubs have very similar roots, working class Irish Catholic left leaning football clubs. Carlton and Essendon fox hunting faux aristocratic tory voting protestant namby-pamby clubs who think it is their privilege to rule. So historically Richmond and Collingwood have been bitter rivals on one hand but respected each other at the same time.
Nailed it. End thread.

My grandparents (long deceased) grew up in the area, and said there was such a locals culture (reflected in footy zones) that young blokes couldn’t walk on the wrong side of Vic Parade.

There was real parochial rivalry, but bred from class/religious similarity rather than sectarian difference. Hence my grandparents being married for 65 years and deeply in love except for 3 hours on Sat afternoons when they couldn’t be in the same house 🤣

To be perfectly honest I don't care whether fans of other clubs regard the Tigers as rivals or not. At the moment our biggest rivals are Brisbane. They are the ones standing in our way.
What Soggy said above is correct. The Big 4 rivalries wax and wane dependent on who is firing. EG lots of Tiges currently take Essendon for granted since we have been beating them with monotonous regularity...but wait til we get our asses handed to us by Essendon and then that rivalry will re-emerge. We have been beating Carlton with ease lately but lost in Round 1....that stung. We learned what losing to the Blues is like....not nice.
If some C'wood fans don't regard us as rivals that is fine by me. Perhaps that's why they kindly allowed us take up some of their ticket allocation last time the sides met in a final and hopefully their indifference to poor little Richmond allows us outnumber them again this year if both clubs get far enough to meet each other!!!

To be perfectly honest I don't care whether fans of other clubs regard the Tigers as rivals or not. At the moment our biggest rivals are Brisbane. They are the ones standing in our way.
What Soggy said above is correct. The Big 4 rivalries wax and wane dependent on who is firing. EG lots of Tiges currently take Essendon for granted since we have been beating them with monotonous regularity...but wait til we get our asses handed to us by Essendon and then that rivalry will re-emerge. We have been beating Carlton with ease lately but lost in Round 1....that stung. We learned what losing to the Blues is like....not nice.
If some C'wood fans don't regard us as rivals that is fine by me. Perhaps that's why they kindly allowed us take up some of their ticket allocation last time the sides met in a final and hopefully their indifference to poor little Richmond allows us outnumber them again this year if both clubs get far enough to meet each other!!!
If this is your view you clearly do not understand a true rivalry.

As a Collingwood supporter, I friggin love beating Carlton, and have loved every minute of their mediocre past two decades.

Meanwhile, I'm happy to wear a Richmond guernsey on multiple occasions to support my Richmond supporting mates, including most recently at the round 23 game against Essendon.

I reckon between Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon, it has a lot to do with the 15, 16, 16 premiership tally. Richmond aren't in the same stratosphere.

I probably hate Carlton the most out of the 4 big Melbourne clubs. I reckon Essendon more dislikable than Collingwood as well.

Geelong is another club I dislike more than Collingwood.

I probably hate Carlton the most out of the 4 big Melbourne clubs. I reckon Essendon more dislikable than Collingwood as well.

Geelong is another club I dislike more than Collingwood.
Enough of this well wishing from other clubs. I demand we be hated above ALL else. We need to systematically rort the salary cap or implement a club wide doping regime and hold the competition to ransom while claiming we've been hard done by after getting a smack with a feather and a cover up from the AFL or something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton are just a vile putrid arrogant cheating entitled campaigner of a club, you cannot help but hate them.

Essendon is a club started by wealthy landowners and brewery magnates and the same fox hunters who introduced the feral pest to Australia for their own amusement, doing untold damage. And the club has never got one bit better for one millisecond of history since.

Collingwood are never going to evoke really strong emotions, they are just good for a laugh when you need cheering up. How could you possibly not laugh at a club that has won one single Grand Final in 63 years, soon to be 64. Fmd, that is hilarious. 🤣🤣🤣 They are more like rivals for Rodney Rude. 😁

If this is your view you clearly do not understand a true rivalry.

As a Collingwood supporter, I friggin love beating Carlton, and have loved every minute of their mediocre past two decades.

Meanwhile, I'm happy to wear a Richmond guernsey on multiple occasions to support my Richmond supporting mates, including most recently at the round 23 game against Essendon.

I reckon between Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon, it has a lot to do with the 15, 16, 16 premiership tally. Richmond aren't in the same stratosphere.

Surely you mean the 14 14 13 13 Premiership tally since Richmond entered the competition Fudge, placing us exactly in Collingwood’s stratosphere on that score, one pennant below the other pair.

And since Hawthorn entered in 1925 it is:

13 Hawks
12 Demons
11 Tigers Magpies Blues
10 Bombers
9 Geelong

So when you look at it like that you are not in any stratosphere at all. If you want to somehow elevate yourself above the pack I would pick a strong suit, Premierships is not Collingwood’s go. 😁

Surely you mean the 14 14 13 13 Premiership tally since Richmond entered the competition Fudge, placing us exactly in Collingwood’s stratosphere on that score, one pennant below the other pair.

And since Hawthorn entered in 1925 it is:

13 Hawks
12 Demons
11 Tigers Magpies Blues
10 Bombers
9 Geelong

So when you look at it like that you are not in any stratosphere at all. If you want to somehow elevate yourself above the pack I would pick a strong suit, Premierships is not Collingwood’s go. 😁
We lovingly call em Richwood or Collingmond these days.

The strange thing about these Collingwood V Richmond threads
We lovingly call em Richwood or Collingmond these days.

Remember a couple of years ago at the PF when they nicely allowed lots of Tiggers have their seats at the G because they understand that Richmond being outnumbered in a final at the MCG is against the law?
If we get past the likes of Brissy and the Dees I hope the maggies are waiting....after all many of us will need a seat and we'll want an opponent who'll oblige!!!!

How could you possibly not laugh at a club that has won one single Grand Final in 63 years, soon to be 64. Fmd, that is hilarious. 🤣🤣🤣 They are more like rivals for Rodney Rude. 😁
Your maths is a bit off there mate.1990 2010 are both in the last 23 years, let alone 63.

Your maths is a bit off there mate.1990 2010 are both in the last 23 years, let alone 63.

My maths is better than you are giving credit for. I would contend it is your maths that is astray. Collingwood did not win the Grand Final in 2010, they drew it. 1990 is their only Grand Final win in the last 63 seasons, soon to be 64. 😁

1 Grand Final win, 2 Premierships.

Reminds me of a mate who we congratulated on the birth of his twins after he had earlier welcomed their older brother to the family. His dry reply was that he was the only bastard in Victoria to ever have only 2 roots and get 3 kids out of it. 🤣

Last edited:
My maths is better than you are giving credit for. I would contend it is your maths that is astray. Collingwood did not win the Grand Final in 2010, they drew it. 1990 is their only Grand Final win in the last 63 seasons, soon to be 64. 😁

1 Grand Final win, 2 Premierships.

Reminds me of a mate who we congratulated on the both of his twins after he had earlier welcomed their older brother to the family. his dry reply was that he was the only bastard in Victoria to ever have only 2 roots and get 3 kids out of it. 🤣
A Grand Final Replay is still a Grand Final. That's why they give out a Norm Smith and Premiership medals at the end, along with the cup.

A Grand Final Replay is still a Grand Final. That's why they give out a Norm Smith and Premiership medals at the end, along with the cup.

They might give out all those things at the end of a Grand Final replay pz, but a Grand Final replay is no more a Grand Final than a Grand Final is a Grand Final replay.

I mean if they called this year’s Grand Final the Grand Final replay, wouldn’t you find that odd? So you can’t call a Grand Final replay a Grand Final, they are two separate things.

And the hapless Pies have won one Grand Final in 63 years. It isn’t very many. 😁

Speaking of maths being off, 1990 wasn't in the last 23 years. That was over 30 years ago, but you do have a point in the fact that both are within the 63 year timespan where you supposedly haven't won a grand final lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back