Review Dees v Lions Götterdämmerung: the Twilight of the Gods: good, bad and fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Good:
Avoid embarrassing ourselves in front of Geelong next week. Pretty sure they’ll pump Brisbane but surely the Lions are a better chance given how cooked we looked late.

Petracca, Harmes, ANB and Petty all busted their campaigners on a dirty night.

Bad:
12 goals to 5 from 28 points up with 16 seconds to go in the second. Every loss we’ve had this year bar Geelong has been similar. We get to a point of putting the game out of reach and then get really passive when the opposition gets a run on. At first we blamed loading and then it was injuries, surely the biggest factor is mindset?

Salem, Jackson, Viney, Brayshaw, Gawn, Oliver were passengers.

Fugly
The forward line
Undisciplined shit from Pickett and Lever in the last
Sparrow, Brown and Rivers were all mind bogglingly shit.

What on earth is wrong with Dogs supporters and why are they so keen to remind us about the Grand Final where we demolished them? Am I missing something? It's like reverse trolling
PTSD is treatable. Hope they get help.

Unfortunately time to move on from Hibberd I think. Maybe give him a one year deal for 'break glass in case of emergency' purposes Love the bloke but we're simply too slow across the park. Bring in Bowey.

Don't know what to do with Rivers and Salem though. Probably trade Salem and hope that Rivers can realise his potential instead of repeatedly shitting himself in clutch moments.

Harrison Petty was epic tonight.

Looked like our best back all night and our best forward of the night in the last 4 minutes

The only thing that could make this worse is if we didn't win it all last year... I know the players try their hardest but * me our forward line is s**t, our second halves are s**t and to lose to a team that hadn't won on the MCG in 8 years, was missing their ruckman and a CHF is a monumental * up
Yeah it's up there in all time finals losses. 1.20 faves against a team who haven't won at the ground in 8 years and have been walloped twice by us during the season. One of the all time monumental **** ups for sure. Will be hard to live this one down. Already copping a million messages from mates giving it to me. This is gonna be a long summer

But next year has to be different. You can't stay still in this sport - he's got to adapt.

Would say its become a habit now, we've seen this movie before with him. The good coaches dont do this. Always reinventing their teams year to year to stay ahead of the comp.

Hands down one of the dumbest plays from Lever at the end of the game too. A complete lack of common sense. Why he wasn't trying to keep that ball in with all of his power was mind boggling too.

Wait, is Goody the Field Marshal Haig of coaches? If we do exactly the same thing we've done the previous 23 games it will catch the watchful Lions off guard.

Petty forward should have happened way earlier, brown and jackson were useless.
A tall defender going forward briefly and making an impact just shows up his pig headed stupidity in not trying other tall options from the squad.

He basically illustrated he had neglected the forwardline all year.

Honestly, who here said that ANB should've been dropped? We lose by 50 without him tonight. He's literally one of the better players in our 22 as far as I'm concerned. When half of our team were applying a blow torch to the ball in front of goals he actually kicked them.
Thought he was pritty good around the ground tonight aswell.

What on earth is wrong with Dogs supporters and why are they so keen to remind us about the Grand Final where we demolished them? Am I missing something? It's like reverse trolling
Out of all the supporters on here I would of thought the dogs would be the last one to be laying into you guys. Makes no sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately time to move on from Hibberd I think. Maybe give him a one year deal for 'break glass in case of emergency' purposes Love the bloke but we're simply too slow across the park. Bring in Bowey.

Don't know what to do with Rivers and Salem though. Probably trade Salem and hope that Rivers can realise his potential instead of repeatedly shitting himself in clutch moments.

Id bring Pig back for another year if he wants to go on for sure

In his presser, Goody said that it is a long season, a marathon in fact.

Did he mention that we could have managed the team better? No.

He said we simply have to go harder longer.

Well done Goody, you keep running them into the ground with your high taxing, bullshit gameplan you dumb SOB.

Biggest concern for me isn't forward entries, it's our fitness, and our inability to hold onto leads.
I'm not sure its fitness related.?
I thought that mid-season, Re Petracca. I think hes been a bit injured all season.
Maxy as well.
TMc obviously, as well. GET McStay Melbourne.

Tonight we were cautious with the ball, moving it slowly and precisely. Then got a run going... Then following the first 18 odd minutes of decent footy, we went defensive and stopped taking chances, and went back into our shells from the back 50.

It was mostly Lever that I recall mucking things up and being over cautious, and that just let the Boot off the Lions neck.

Last edited:
In his presser, Goody said that it is a long season, a marathon in fact.

Did he mention that we could have managed the team better? No.

He said we simply have to go harder longer.

Well done Goody, you keep running them into the ground with your high taxing, bullshit gameplan you dumb SOB.
He said that tonight?

I do worry that he's too obstinate to adapt and take advantage of the list he's got.

I agree with Rivers soiling himself in big moments. Like, get rid of the pill mate, good god! But Hibberd has been fine. He's bathed up Charlie Cameron the last 2 times. The issue is our forward line, and only our forward line. Not the backs, not the mids, not the rucks, the forwards.

I agree with Rivers soiling himself in big moments. Like, get rid of the pill mate, good god! But Hibberd has been fine. He's bathed up Charlie Cameron the last 2 times. The issue is our forward line, and only our forward line. Not the backs, not the mids, not the rucks, the forwards.
Yep mids are fine. They never bomb it long to the pocket. They have 100% efficiency going forward.

Maybe its time to close the TM Bulldogs thread . It seem so long ago now .

From an outsider looking in for the first game, i agree & it looks kinda petty. It also has aged badly after tonight.

I have to give Melbourne credit, their commitment to following Richmond's Silk road to Power is very impressive. Your 21 & 22 seasons. Are startlingly similar to our 17-18.

Commiserations on the loss, It really sucks when you lose a final against a team you know you are better than. Not a fun night, was really hoping u guys would take the lions & cats out for us😔

Remove this Banner Ad

Back