Review Cats defeat Lions by 71 points to make 2022 GRAND FINAL

Remove this Banner Ad

Desperately trying to keep my powder dry for next week.

First of all commiserations to Brisbane; very good Finals campaign from them, I didn't fancy facing either Richmond or Melbourne and they did 'em both.

Max Holmes could be the Dan Menzel of 2022. Menzel flying in the QF against Hawthorn in 2011, did a knee and missed a flag. Never got another shot at it.
Similarly, Holmes has been absolutely brilliant in the back half of the 2022 season, including Finals - his first half tonight was epic.

I've always been a huge Parfitt fan and if he gets an opportunity I'm backing him in to acquit himself well.

Sam De Koning's year has been scarcely believable - he is an old soul down back, a real craftsman above anything else. Just wonderful again tonight. I honestly reckon he's lowered his colours - slightly - in only maybe two games this year.

I was mighty surprised to see Joel Selwood only had a dozen disposals tonight - I thought he had a big impact.

If there's one enduring image I'll have of Jake Kolodjashnij it will be his ability to kind of walk back into an intercept mark - he has a very particular way of dropping into space to pick off an opposition foray. A career-high 23 disposals for Kolo tonight.

Blicavs and Stanley beat their counterparts; Stanley didn't get a lot of it but he showed grit and responded well to his poor showing against Collingwood. If we get Sydney next week he'd better be on his mettle against that curly-headed Sydney ruckman; he pantsed Stanley last year.

Zach Guthrie was magnificent and hard at it; wore a number of hard tackles in order to bottle up play at opportune times. Cam had a classic late-career Cam Guthrie game; little wins, territory.

Gotta win next week, just gotta.

I’m not a medical/conditioning expert, but if there was a mild/moderate concern about Holmes’s hamstring, why the hell wouldn’t they put some ice on it? Even though they won’t know the severity of the injury until scans come back, surely you’d just chuck some ice on it - there’s no harm in erring on the side of caution…?

Logically, having no ice on it either means:

a) it’s absolutely fine and medical staff are 100% confident he’ll play next week

OR b) medical staff have written him off and he’s no chance of playing so they didn’t bother with the ice

In Scott’s presser he said they’re optimistic that he’ll play, so can we rule out possibility b) and therefore assume that a) is correct?

How does Joe Daniher, get a player rating of 5 (out of 10) for tonight:

Had Sam De Koning for company. Barely sighted in the first half then fluffed a set-shot opportunity at the start of the third term that went out of bounds on the full. Had to work hard up the ground to get his disposals, but simply wasn’t a threat close to goal. 5

Dived about fishing for frees at least twice that I noticed too, C09 :mad:
SDK killed him.

I know we as a board normally do a really good job of promoting player milestones etc, and while I was going to start a thread for Jed's 150 I was also hesitant and decided to hold off:

Those two milestones were the:
Game #50: 2017 preliminary final
Game #100: 2020 QF vs Port Adelaide

Not sure we need reminding what happened in those matches

Happy to see the result reversed tonight, and congrats on Jed on 150 games in the hoops

I was a big doubter early on - but have been a big fan for years now.

Plays an unforgiving role, and is pound-for-pound our toughest player.

How does Joe Daniher, get a player rating of 5 (out of 10) for tonight:

Had Sam De Koning for company. Barely sighted in the first half then fluffed a set-shot opportunity at the start of the third term that went out of bounds on the full. Had to work hard up the ground to get his disposals, but simply wasn’t a threat close to goal. 5
SDK has more scalps this season than Custer's men lost at the Little Big Horn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wish I didn't. Every post is rotten. Not one redeemable comment, either slagging Geelong or peddling their conspiracies. As I said earlier, I swear they'd take more pleasure in us not winning it than their own success. Why are they so agitated by us? They won 3 flags and beat us.
They became our Bitchmond ever since Gaz snr first donned the hoops.
Kardinia park is their nightmare ground with regular 10+ goal floggings
We also ended many of their finals campaigns up until their 2017 to 2020 run.
They remain deeply scared by the sight of Blue and White hoops...
Now their worst nightmare is returning all over again... especially as they fade.

They became our Bitchmond ever since Gaz snr first donned the hoops.
Kardinia park is their nightmare ground with regular 10+ goal floggings
We also ended many of their finals campaigns up until their 2017 to 2020 run.
They remain deeply scared by the sight of Blue and White hoops...
Now their worst nightmare is returning all over again... especially as they fade.

They really are scum Richmond supporters.

Worst in the league by a fair margin.

I’m not a medical/conditioning expert, but if there was a mild/moderate concern about Holmes’s hamstring, why the hell wouldn’t they put some ice on it? Even though they won’t know the severity of the injury until scans come back, surely you’d just chuck some ice on it - there’s no harm in erring on the side of caution…?

Logically, having no ice on it either means:

a) it’s absolutely fine and medical staff are 100% confident he’ll play next week

OR b) medical staff have written him off and he’s no chance of playing so they didn’t bother with the ice

In Scott’s presser he said they’re optimistic that he’ll play, so can we rule out possibility b) and therefore assume that a) is correct?
I'm not at all 100% certain of this, but from a little experience of icing injuries I believe ice basically assist short terms inflammation, but may delay full recovery from a very minor injury. If you're out 4 weeks no matter what, ice it. If you may be available the next week, don't ice it.

So I think the lack of ice indicates it isn't a terrible injury, there is a chance he could play next week, and its better to keep the tight muscle loose (ice would tighten it up) to try have it right for next week, as opposed to icing it which would basically rule him out from playing next week regardless.

I think if it was round 14, it would have been iced.

Icing a slight hamstring isn't going to make a difference to long term prognosis, so err on the side of may be available next week and not ice it.

Happy to be corrected, I'm not a physio or in the medical field at all.

Fantastic win 4 quarter effort.

Shattered for holmes he has been amazing for a kid who didnt play much juniors.
I would be bringing menegola in for him as its the most like for like swap (winger for winger) that doesnt require moving other matchups. But we have a lot of guys who can play wing including duncan and blitz so it wouldnt surprise me if parfitt or oconnor come in.
Those guys will be training the house down early in the week.

We could also roll Tuohy up to the Wing, ot sure who drops out of the mids rotation to go down back.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Danger was amazing tonight, very good also considering his arm looked to have lost a lot of movement form the chicken wing tackle from ginnivan. Any wonder how upset he was about the tackle clearly impacted his arm. Ridiculous that he’s playing after doing that, even nrl rubs players out for that.

Cats unstoppable tonight... and gained more momentum.
Simply to quick and slick for the Lions to shut down..
Cats looked sharp from first bounce took total control.
Lions tried hard but struggled to hold on till half time.
They lifted a gear Q3... but the Cats lifted two gears
An open fast game served to run the Cats into top form
The game was fast but not a physical energy draining slog
Apart from unlucky Holmes most players remained bruise free.
Plenty to celebrate tonight

Hoping Swans v Pies is a tough bruising slog fest... with extra time.

-cat celebrate yo.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back