Review Cats defeat Lions by 71 points to make 2022 GRAND FINAL

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure there's a perfect ratings system, but I did raise an eyebrow with the ratings of a few of our players:
  • Bews as our lowest rated player doesn't feel right; I know it wasn't a big disposal night for him, but he really did a good job on Cameron & not letting him get into the game
  • That brings discussion to Charlie Cameron; how the hell did he rate higher than Cam Guthrie, SDK & Jed Bews? If discussing those 4 players alone, I know who I'd list as having the least influence on the contest, and it's the guy wearing the Fitzroy guernsey that kicked his only goal from a dubious free kick
The rating system is seriously flawed and favours disposals way to much which makes defenders who defend seem bad some times.

SDK and Bews were brilliant all game and should not of been anywhere near the bottom.

Last edited:
My favourite part was when their barometer bumped Danger late and then stood over him expecting a response.

Danger didn't even make eye contact. Just stood up, dusted himself off, and continued calmly on his way. It was very symbolic of our entire night--cool, calm, and collected.

I understand why neutrals hate us. We were f**king terrifying. We have no business contending year after year, and we have no business being this terrifyingly clinical in a prelim.

I would love to know if Eddie has also worked closely with Close and Miers, because those two boys have grown so much since we landed Eddie at the club. Our fleet of smalls is just as iconic as our three headed monster of talls.

Wouldn't be surprised if Gazza plays the game of his life next week against the Swannies. Players tend to go up a level against their old team. That said, Jezza is primed for an insanely brilliant final's performance--as is Tyson.

To think Tyson could be a premiership player a year after he was delisted.

To think Zuthrie could be a premiership player after years of struggling to build his craft.

To think Selwood might be a premiership captain.

So many stories. So many emotions.

Go Cats!!

I'm not sure there's a perfect ratings system, but I did raise an eyebrow with the ratings of a few of our players:
  • Bews as our lowest rated player doesn't feel right; I know it wasn't a big disposal night for him, but he really did a good job on Cameron & not letting him get into the game
  • That brings discussion to Charlie Cameron; how the hell did he rate higher than Cam Guthrie, SDK & Jed Bews? If discussing those 4 players alone, I know who I'd list as having the least influence on the contest, and it's the guy wearing the Fitzroy guernsey that kicked his only goal from a dubious free kick

No model will be perfect, rather than think of it as lowerest score = worst, you can be a little more flexible

The system just doesn't consider standing next to someone for an evening while the team defence does its thing to be above expectation. Players get valued for things they do. It likes players that blanked other and then win their own ball even more. There aren't too many pure lockdown match ups, when they occur you can try to look at the next affect

Bews was on Cameron, Cameron averages 11.6 points a game, he scored 0.6 on the game. Bews averages 5.8, he scored 0.5. Brisbane lost twice as much from the match up compared to the expected amount.

De Koning was on Daniher, Daniher averages 9.73 a games, he scored 2.8on the game, De Koning averages 8.63, he scored 4.4. Brisbane lost around 50% more from the match up compared to the expected amount.

According to the stats we only had 13 more inside 50s so it was very much our whole ground defence that stopped them scoring

Inside 50 count 46-59
What was it before the last quarter? Feel like we let them pile on some inside 50s late.

The kicking style may be unique, but he knows how to hit teammates on the chest:

That kicking action is very effective off a wing or HFF. The way he steps out to the right in his kicking action takes him away from the tackler, making him quite slippery to get a hold of. And the flat trajectory is very difficult for a defender stuck behind the leading forward to spoil. Hawkins must absolutely love seeing Miers in the midfield.

That kicking action is very effective off a wing or HFF. The way he steps out to the right in his kicking action takes him away from the tackler, making him quite slippery to get a hold of. And the flat trajectory is very difficult for a defender stuck behind the leading forward to spoil. Hawkins must absolutely love seeing Miers in the midfield.

I laughed at this post on FB during the week - I get that not everyone's a fan of Miers, but felt like this person hasn't watched him play much:

"Miers as a linking player ?, turns the ball over and can't kick straight, if you were a leading forward you wouldn't know which way to run, a definite weak link, Parfitt has got grunt and is a better option and if you want a linking player, Menagola is a proven performer."

I laughed at this post on FB during the week - I get that not everyone's a fan of Miers, but felt like this person hasn't watched him play much:

"Miers as a linking player ?, turns the ball over and can't kick straight, if you were a leading forward you wouldn't know which way to run, a definite weak link, Parfitt has got grunt and is a better option and if you want a linking player, Menagola is a proven performer."
I swear some people would play a team of 22 inside mids. No point getting the ball out if you don't have the pace and skill to use it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it fair to say that we beat better competition than Sydney did? I understand Collingwood had a better season and nothing to lose. List structure tells me Brisbane is better even if nobody rates them.

In particular the talls.

Geelong, Melbourne and Brisbane had the most to lose by not winning a grand final

My favourite part was when their barometer bumped Danger late and then stood over him expecting a response.

Danger didn't even make eye contact. Just stood up, dusted himself off, and continued calmly on his way. It was very symbolic of our entire night--cool, calm, and collected.

I understand why neutrals hate us. We were f**king terrifying. We have no business contending year after year, and we have no business being this terrifyingly clinical in a prelim.

I would love to know if Eddie has also worked closely with Close and Miers, because those two boys have grown so much since we landed Eddie at the club. Our fleet of smalls is just as iconic as our three headed monster of talls.

Wouldn't be surprised if Gazza plays the game of his life next week against the Swannies. Players tend to go up a level against their old team. That said, Jezza is primed for an insanely brilliant final's performance--as is Tyson.

To think Tyson could be a premiership player a year after he was delisted.

To think Zuthrie could be a premiership player after years of struggling to build his craft.

To think Selwood might be a premiership captain.

So many stories. So many emotions.

Go Cats!!
I think Eddie has brought some priceless knowledge to those boys which has made them improve out of sight.
But Eddie has brought something else to our club. An intangible that you can't measure or quantify.
That smile.
I think its infected the club this year somehow in the most positive way possible.
Whenever I see him I smile.
Its infected me too.

Is it fair to say that we beat better competition than Sydney did? I understand Collingwood had a better season and nothing to lose. List structure tells me Brisbane is better even if nobody rates them.

In particular the talls.

Geelong, Melbourne and Brisbane had the most to lose by not winning a grand final
Collingwood had momentum and pretty good form leading into the finals so based solely on that, Geelong & Sydney's wins against the Pies should give both teams some finals credibility.

I'm biased but I think Geelong's win against Collingwood was better than the Swans as it was done with the spectre of recent 1st week finals failures on our back and, lets be frank, we were playing Collingwood on their home deck in front of their rabid supporter base. Collingwood also had nothing to lose since no-one expected them to finish top 4 at the start of the year and they (like us) had the saftely net of the double chance. Unlike Sydney, who were hunted down by the Pies on their dungheap, we clawed the game back from Collingwood.

Brisbane beat Richmond, who many thought were a danger side from the bottom 4, and then beat Melbourne on the MCG after giving them a start. Brisbane's campaign went out with a whimper but the two games they won before the Prelim were against quality sides so their form shouldn't be brushed aside.

Sydney's win against the Demons in Melbourne was also bloody good.

Being a Cats fan I obviously think we had the slighter tougher progression but getting to a GF is tough and both teams have to beat good sides to get there.

Last edited:
View attachment 1511051

Thought this was cool and shows just how bloody good this club is. Since 2007, we’ve now made 6 GF’s with currently a 3-2 record, 07,08,09,11,20 & 22. We’ve made PF’s in 10,13,16,17,19 & 21, an EF in 2012 & 2018, a SF in 2014 and the only down year was 2015 when we finished 10th.

And all this while constantly rebuilding the list.

It’s an extraordinary effort and a flag next week would honestly cap off a remarkable last 15 years.
Great list build right there! (No Stengle last year so not sure all 22 were there in 2021)

VOTES PLAYER (CLUB)
10 - Patrick Dangerfield (GEEL)
8 - Gryan Miers (GEEL)
5 - Tom Hawkins (GEEL)
3 - Jake Kolodjashnij (GEEL)
3 - Tom Stewart (GEEL)
1 - Darcy Gardiner (BL)

1663567381918.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back