Play Nice Patrick Cripps v Marcus Bontempelli

Who would you rather?

• Patrick Cripps

• Marcus Bontempelli

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Based on the dip in form this year, I think it's safe to say Bont has gone past Crippa. That is of course, unless Cripps goes in for surgery on a nagging injury that he has been nursing in relative secrecy this year.

I really think that asking Cripps to drop weight was the dumbest decision I've see on player S&C management in recent years. He used to ragdoll everyone, whilst he is still the strongest midfielder in the comp, he doesn't have that same ability to make men look like boys. Yes, he is faster and more agile, but that is not his game.

Based on the dip in form this year, I think it's safe to say Bont has gone past Crippa. That is of course, unless Cripps goes in for surgery on a nagging injury that he has been nursing in relative secrecy this year.

I really think that asking Cripps to drop weight was the dumbest decision I've see on player S&C management in recent years. He used to ragdoll everyone, whilst he is still the strongest midfielder in the comp, he doesn't have that same ability to make men look like boys. Yes, he is faster and more agile, but that is not his game.

Yeah, it’s weird. Bont has gone the other way, absolutely bashing through contests and using his size to take big marks for fun.

Teague just said Cripps has had a couple of niggles this year but nothing out of the ordinary.

his stats probably are not as good because Carlton is performing much more even as a team.

it’s on Cripps now to prove he can be a great player and have an impact when others around him are also demanding the ball. Because he’s yet to prove he can have an impact on a team that is firing.

All well and good to get 30 touches, 25 of those handballs, in a 10 goal loss. But Carlton need more from him now and he hasn’t delivered in 2020 what is expected.

Cripps still producing amongst a group of plodders. Still has Bont covered just hasn’t got the support.

I agree. I was wondering why he needed to lose weight...his main strength was his power in the contest!

Bont for all-round ability. Cripps is a bit one dimensional. Sensational inside mid but not a complete footballer like Bont.

While Cripps is good at what he does, he doesn't have the kicking ability of Bont and is actually quite inefficient with his disposal given he mostly goes by hand. He can get the ball 30 times in close but if you shut down his options he isn't very effective.

Bont wins his own ball at an above average level, albeit not as much as Cripps, but has the ability to use it breaking from congestion, going inside 50 or kicking goals himself from the midfield or as a resting forward.

It’s almost like everything I was saying in 2016 was spot on

Dogs straight sets and out, Bont starts 2022 in poor form.

Cripps overcomes fitness issues, and is best on in 5 of the first 6 games and is a raging Brownlow favourite.

Thread gets bumped.

:drunk:

A very shallow look at it.

My tune on this comparison never changed and it looks like despite the biased parochialism about how good Cripps was, I’m a lot more right on the comparison than many

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Almost 60 per cent of bigfooty posts are some form of snarky retort.

This thread will be a haven for it because of how popular Cripps is with Carlton supporters even though most knowledgeable people could see where this thread would go simply based on the two players’ skill sets.

Essentially Bont is Cripps on the inside blessed with skill and poise on the outside, as I’ve always said. Had Beveridge parked Bont at the stoppages 100 per cent of the time like various Carlton coaches did Cripps then Bont would pick up similar numbers.

Don’t believe me? Look at cripps’ clearance numbers in his MVP season (2019) vs the player the Bulldogs play exclusively on the inside this year (Libba). Libba is winning more clearances than the apparent clearance beast did at his peak. Nobody who watches footy would believe bontempelli couldn’t do that role even better by virtue of his bigger frame and elite hands

Lel. This is a highly embarrassing post, but very much true to form. I guess if you want to say Bont is singlehandedly responsible for the Dogs sneaking into the 8, then is he responsible for the Dogs not showing up after half time in the GF last year and for the team being largely mediocre this year? Give yourself an uppercut.

Bont had a very good grand final no matter how you spin it. A bad quarter and a half by the team doesn’t change that. He’s also won one and played great finals

Cripps can only dream of being close to that. He’s going to be 28 and never even played a final.

What’s your opinion on the thread topic? I made an observation about the respective players and their careers which you may disagree with. But on topic what are your thoughts?

Last edited:
One is a champion premiership player, and a great leader who drags his team into finals.

The other hacks the ball around, has a team with two Coleman medallists and a no.1 pick key defender but gets caught with the ball to end his team’s season.

Bontempelli was, is and always will be better than Cripps.
Cripps does this far too often. Viney does it for Melbourne. Tries to take on 2-3 tacklers instead of sticking to basics. Cripps really cost his team today at crucial stages but at least he had a crack despite being injured. Bontempelli easily.

One is a champion premiership player, and a great leader who drags his team into finals.

The other hacks the ball around, has a team with two Coleman medallists and a no.1 pick key defender but gets caught with the ball to end his team’s season.

Bontempelli was, is and always will be better than Cripps.
One day I wish I am as committed to something as much as you are to hating Cripps. How you could watch yesterdays game and think that Cripps was the reason we lost and then decide to bump a thread that's been dead for over a year is something special. Hall of Fame ballot hater. Seek god.

Back