Player Watch Izak Rankine Part II - Welcome to Adelaide

Pick 5 and a swap of 3rd/4th round picks for Rankine was...

• Massive overs

• Moderate overs

• Slight overs

• Fair value

• Slight unders

• Moderate unders

• Massive unders

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Chayce Jones hurts the most IMO. Jones is generational for being a dud. :think:

Of all the Top 10 picks in that draft, we nailed the worst.

At least Meesen and Angwin were from a completely different era where the draft was not as sophisticated as it is today.View attachment 1533110

I haven’t given up on Jones, he has some attributes to work with.

I think there was some arrested development due to when he came in but there are players from the previous draft only just hitting their straps.

More highly rated players (Dow) who have yet to hit theirs.

Next season will be a big season/test for Jones.

That Thomas talk didn't last long.
He would have been a great get.
no thanks that interview was enough for me

more interested in being a social media influencer or gangster rapper wannabe than playing footy

shocking feel sorry for north they are stuck with him

So is Luko next or are we not into him anymore because he's been soft the first 3 years?

I've noticed no Luko posts in a while..

Free agent in 3 years, and considering we should be pushing up the ladder by then, I could see us tabling a pretty convincing offer for him.

Now that this is all done and dusted and I've had time to reflect, I actually can't believe we got Izak Rankine to the club.

Sure, I'm disappointed that we didn't get JHF, but I've never wanted a player more in their draft year than Rankine. I want to see him play like the player in that mix tape which is perhaps the greatest AFL mix tape ever produced and I can't wait to see what he can do for our side.

I can't wait for the start of the season.
This is a good point.
If you told last year that we were getting Rankine I wouldn’t have believed you.
Felt like he’d be one of those players we talk about trading for decade but it never happens.

Ofcoarse we get stung by the academy again as we did actually bid on him. AFL changed the rules just in time for us to miss out on our best academy prospect
The Saints are likely to miss out on a top 10 prospect this year in Cam McKenzie (unless he somehow slides to them), and Melbourne missed out on Mac Andrew last year. We're not the only club getting shafted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Saints are likely to miss out on a top 10 prospect this year in Cam McKenzie (unless he somehow slides to them), and Melbourne missed out on Mac Andrew last year. We're not the only club getting shafted.
No issue with the new rule as it was last year, can’t match in top 20, but changing it to 40 is crazy. There will struggle to be 40 live picks this year, so basically no advantage in an academy.

Hands up those that made fools of themselves on the main board maintaining that pick 5 would definitely not be part of the Rankine deal and that we'd use the PSD threat?

Thought so, a lot of sheepish posters out there. Clubs generally behave in a far more cooperative way.

We've done very well here, just a pity that Port have done even better.

Hands up those that made fools of themselves on the main board maintaining that pick 5 would definitely not be part of the Rankine deal and that we'd use the PSD threat?

Thought so, a lot of sheepish posters out there. Clubs generally behave in a far more cooperative way.

Yep, on paper it's better. Well done to them and they seized the opportunity.

I still think it's only 70:30 in likelihood of JHF being better than Rankine though.

Depends who we draft with 23 and our 2023 1st..as thats what they have given up to get jhf, rioli and no doubt ratugolea

Happy to own that i didn't believe that Pick 5 would be part of the deal, considering the multitude of other options available to us. At no stage did i ever believe he was going to the PSD though.

I’d suggest there were far more people who thought pick 5 shouldn’t be used given both clubs positions.

Take us to the holy land Izak.
He is going to need a few helpers which includes a better midfield and delivery. I don't buy into Matt Rendell's notion Rankine is all we need and our midfield is stacked. ''Rankine is all we need'' is one of the most ridiculous thing I have heard in a while.

Have they actually done better though?

Here's a challenge for you......

Which list would be longer?

A list of elite midfielders in the AFL or a list of elite small forwards?

I would argue that getting your hands on an elite midfielder via the draft is easier than finding an elite small forward. So while it was disappointing to miss out on JHF, I honestly think that Rankine is a much rarer piece of the puzzle to find.

Personally I will back the club in to be able to draft/recruit/develop an elite midfielder in the next couple of years, I don't think they're that difficult to find IMO.

Last edited:
I was driving the "Tankin for Rankine" in 2018. Stoked we got him home, I was expecting not to ever get him home after luko signed.

Feel like he's going to be the player my little boys idolise like I did with Andrew McLeod.

Franchise player

Just one thing I'm loving we are getting alot of players that are die hard crow fans growing up and really proud to wear the jumper. Thilthorpe, fogarty, Rankine, Cook, Schoenberg (I think) I really like that.

Interested in the impact the shoulder reco will have on Rankine in his first year with us.

Look noticeable slimmer, which I think will help his pace up fwd but slow the progression to the midfield, he was looking really bulky for a small fwd at Gold Coast.

Muscle memory, comes back fast, but might be a good thing being little slimmer.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

He is going to need a few helpers which includes a better midfield and delivery. I don't buy into Matt Rendell's notion Rankine is all we need and our midfield is stacked. ''Rankine is all we need'' is one of the most ridiculous thing I have heard in a while.

Rendell also said that getting Rankine for Pick 5 is an absolute bargain.

He's definitely been very bullish about our list and trading.

Even though he's a bit of a loose unit, it's still refreshing to hear someone talking us up.

Back