List Mgmt. 2022 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

We don’t pick until Tuesday night, so the AFL will clearly drag the first 20 or so picks on Monday night out for a solid 2 hours 😩

I'll only have it on as background noise on Monday. I know we now try and win games instead of dominate the draft but geez this was a fun time of year when we had 2-3 top 20 picks most years.

It seems we can expect the following to all be selected via points matching before our first pick:
Ashcroft
Fletcher
Alwyn Davey Jr
Max michelhenney

That means pick 30 will be 34. At the 34th best player in the draft pool, you can’t expect miracles let’s be honest.

True, but the club has picked some gems past 30 of late. Darcy, Cox, Shooter, Freddy and Ryan to name a few.

There is a good chance that we will get 1 or 2 long term players out of this draft. Walls is one of the best in the business IMO.

I think any forward we choose will have to have a point of difference from those we have. Be surprised if a pressure forward or pure lead/mark medium forward is best available at 30. They'd have to have some tricks like that Burgiel dude. Kind of hoping for a Bailey type there if its a forward.

Odds are it will be a mid or defender if best available.

From Twomey's Phantom

"By the time bids come in, Fremantle is set to enter the draft outside the top 30 for the first time since 2004 after it traded its first-round pick in the Luke Jackson deal. It will make for a quiet opening night before they use their four picks on Tuesday, with a couple of their choices set to move in on draft night after Brisbane's picks in the 30s get wiped out through bids. They may look at tall backs or rucks depending if available, with Harry Barnett a possibility to slip in the 20s but unlikely to get to Freo's first pick. Tom McCallum and Hugh Davies are defenders around this stage of the pool, while Geelong Falcons defender Oscar Murdoch has had some Dockers interest. Local Kaleb Smith could also be considered, wingman Caleb Mitchell could be worth a look late, while the Dockers have done work on former Melbourne and North Melbourne player Corey Wagner, who has starred in the VFL with Port Melbourne. If the Dockers look for a different young ruck to add to their group, Clay Tucker and Max Knobel could be weighed up, while Next Generation Academy pair Conrad Williams and Josh Draper appear likely to be listed as category B rookies if overlooked at the national intake."

Oscar Murdoch is an interesting link, pretty good defender but only 190cm so maybe a sign one of our mid-sized defenders could move to the wing if the clubs looking at him, the rest of the names just seem to be darts thrown by Twomey.

Looking at that Phantom draft, seems Cals got no idea what we’re up too.
Hopefully we take Ethan Phillips now and “best” KF with the next pick. And best local talent with remaining picks.
Instant backline depth, also like the idea even tho JL seems loath to try it, but if we do lose multiple forward options I’d like to see Cox swung forward while Phillips covers his role

From Twomey's Phantom

"By the time bids come in, Fremantle is set to enter the draft outside the top 30 for the first time since 2004 after it traded its first-round pick in the Luke Jackson deal. It will make for a quiet opening night before they use their four picks on Tuesday, with a couple of their choices set to move in on draft night after Brisbane's picks in the 30s get wiped out through bids. They may look at tall backs or rucks depending if available, with Harry Barnett a possibility to slip in the 20s but unlikely to get to Freo's first pick. Tom McCallum and Hugh Davies are defenders around this stage of the pool, while Geelong Falcons defender Oscar Murdoch has had some Dockers interest. Local Kaleb Smith could also be considered, wingman Caleb Mitchell could be worth a look late, while the Dockers have done work on former Melbourne and North Melbourne player Corey Wagner, who has starred in the VFL with Port Melbourne. If the Dockers look for a different young ruck to add to their group, Clay Tucker and Max Knobel could be weighed up, while Next Generation Academy pair Conrad Williams and Josh Draper appear likely to be listed as category B rookies if overlooked at the national intake."

Oscar Murdoch is an interesting link, pretty good defender but only 190cm so maybe a sign one of our mid-sized defenders could move to the wing if the clubs looking at him, the rest of the names just seem to be darts thrown by Twomey.
So of our 3 NGAs then scaife misses out?

i have not heard much about Tregenza-Cashell from Peel.

Is he worth a look?

I reckon of the rumors, that we will take Corey Wagner with one of the 40 picks; with Blake Acres going and us wanting to press further into the finals, a mature defensive runner with okay kicking skills will be more than useful backup on the wing from a list management perspective.

The interesting one is the ruck; I think we will probably take one, but whether we overlook Keeler is another question; he is mentioned in the space of being the later 30s. I like Barnett but agree it is unlikely he will be at our first. I think there is equally a good chance we might select Max Knobel who is much more a modern ruck size and a true ruck as opposed to being a tall utility if he is there with our first pick in the 40s (Draper is a tall utility so we might just avoid going a Keeler/Lemmey on that basis).

We have also clearly looked at small forwards in Konstanty and Burgiel, who fit the type of style we want (defensive with speed but able to shark a goal here and there) but it seems unlikely that we will get the chance.

So of our 3 NGAs then scaife misses out?

Yes I think so; it is sad because of those three he has put the most runs on the board, but at the end of the day the other two probably have much more AFL potential. Likewise, it is funny because I have done a bit of rewatching and I think although Jed Adams has done a lot more, Hugh Davies is possibly the better defensive product from WA, as he is more athletic and has a better offensive kick, whilst being roughly equal in terms of defensive nous (he reminds me of a more athletic, taller Brennan Cox).

There are so many variables given the late picks, but I feel like a plausible outcome could be:
  • Pick 30ish: Hugh Davies - athletic tall (197cm) defender with a good offensive rebound and skills. Suits well in terms of list balance and losing Logue.
  • Pick 40ish: Max Knobel - 206cm traditional ruckman with good athletic traits, gets forward and scores the odd goal. Successor to Lloyd Meek as perennial backup ruck.
  • Pick 40ishtoo: Corey Wagner - seasoned Wing/HBF with good endurance, defensive skills and much improved kicking. List balance associated with loss of Acres as a wingman.
  • Pick Attheend: Rookie Upgrade (Lachie Shultz)
  • Rookie Cat B: Joshua Draper - 196cm tall utility who can backup ruck, KP back or forward.
  • Rookie Cat B: Conrad Williams - wingman/hbf with real dash and tricks but needs to improve endurance and defence.
Yes that means we miss out on a small forward, but equally if there isn't a reasonable one at pick 30, why take one?

i have not heard much about Tregenza-Cashell from Peel.

Is he worth a look?

A perennial question that has come up on this board this year, but he was already a very unlikely chance when he didn't get any combine (state or national) invite. I think fitness is a major factor for clubs; it is a measure of both one's athleticism but also partly a reflection of one's drive to push towards the highest level.

I reckon of the rumors, that we will take Corey Wagner with one of the 40 picks; with Blake Acres going and us wanting to press further into the finals, a mature defensive runner with okay kicking skills will be more than useful backup on the wing from a list management perspective.

The interesting one is the ruck; I think we will probably take one, but whether we overlook Keeler is another question; he is mentioned in the space of being the later 30s. I like Barnett but agree it is unlikely he will be at our first. I think there is equally a good chance we might select Max Knobel who is much more a modern ruck size and a true ruck as opposed to being a tall utility if he is there with our first pick in the 40s (Draper is a tall utility so we might just avoid going a Keeler/Lemmey on that basis).

We have also clearly looked at small forwards in Konstanty and Burgiel, who fit the type of style we want (defensive with speed but able to shark a goal here and there) but it seems unlikely that we will get the chance.

Yes I think so; it is sad because of those three he has put the most runs on the board, but at the end of the day the other two probably have much more AFL potential. Likewise, it is funny because I have done a bit of rewatching and I think although Jed Adams has done a lot more, Hugh Davies is possibly the better defensive product from WA, as he is more athletic and has a better offensive kick, whilst being roughly equal in terms of defensive nous (he reminds me of a more athletic, taller Brennan Cox).

There are so many variables given the late picks, but I feel like a plausible outcome could be:
  • Pick 30ish: Hugh Davies - athletic tall (197cm) defender with a good offensive rebound and skills. Suits well in terms of list balance and losing Logue.
  • Pick 40ish: Max Knobel - 206cm traditional ruckman with good athletic traits, gets forward and scores the odd goal. Successor to Lloyd Meek as perennial backup ruck.
  • Pick 40ishtoo: Corey Wagner - seasoned Wing/HBF with good endurance, defensive skills and much improved kicking. List balance associated with loss of Acres as a wingman.
  • Rookie Cat B: Joshua Draper - 196cm tall utility who can backup ruck, KP back or forward.
  • Rookie Cat B: Conrad Williams - wingman/hbf with real dash and tricks but needs to improve endurance and defence.
Yes that means we miss out on a small forward, but equally if there isn't a reasonable one at pick 30, why take one?

A perennial question that has come up on this board this year, but he was already a very unlikely chance when he didn't get any combine (state or national) invite. I think fitness is a major factor for clubs; it is a measure of both one's athleticism but also partly a reflection of one's drive to push towards the highest level.
All signs point to Wagner being a rookie rather than a national draft pick, I think we have 1 or 2 rookie spots available?

If we take 3 picks, I reckon Knobel/whichever ruckman we take will be taken last with Pick 30/Pick 40-odd being used to take a Gilbey/Hagan/Smith etc

Wagner should last to the rookie draft

its his 3rd go at clubland

If we wanted him on the main list then I'm pretty sure he had lifetime DFA right? and we could have got him already? (Ala Ferg Greene from dogs 2020 delisting to hawks, signed a month ago)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’re taking four selections at the draft

Rookie upgrades will not replace any of our selections. Also Schultz is already on the senior list as recently confirmed by our list manager. In the same interview he specifically stated we’re taking four selections.

Our last selection will be at around pick 50-odd. IMO it’s a pick worth using rather than drafting an extra new rookie. People act like a pick after 45 is a guaranteed failure - it isn’t. Not saying it’s likely said player will make it but it’s likely they’ll be on our list longer than their initial two year contract.

Last edited:
Chris where would Raz and Johnston sit in this draft??

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Probably about the same I’d think. Reckon Erasmus would be the first WA player. Johnson again would be in the first round mix, but could slip again much like Hewett might.

Ruck is the one I can’t really pick. I think we’ll have one or two guys we’d pick if they were available - Barnett being one of them. But if our top preferences are gone, I think we’ll keep a spot open and trial a couple of young guys as well as Naismith and Free in the preseason instead.

I'd love for one of the top 30 to fall to us but can't see it happening even though there are surprises every year.

I think it'll be Harry Cole first up. Just have a feeling that we rate him highly and will see him as best available at 33 or so.

Then following Walls supposed plan, we take Harry Lemmey with a view of playing him as a defender and being the eventual Pearce replacement.

Next a ruck and I think we take Will Verrall.

With our last pick I think we won't be able to resist taking Jed Hagan who'll still be available.

One last wild stab at this thing:

1. Darcy Jones (lively small forward)
2. Harry Lemmey (as a defender)
3. Tom Scully (as a developing ruck)
4. Jaiden Magor or Harry Cole (med forward)

Last edited:
Seems to me that Lemmey and Scully will do well to get drafted at all. Not even remotely on the radar of the top 30 now

That's why I've picked them to go in the 40's.

The draft doesn't finish at 30, and most are predicting 50 odd selections.
Yeah there must be some major red flags or flaws in both of their games. Are they lacking pace of something I wonder.

Probably about the same I’d think. Reckon Erasmus would be the first WA player. Johnson again would be in the first round mix, but could slip again much like Hewett might.

Ruck is the one I can’t really pick. I think we’ll have one or two guys we’d pick if they were available - Barnett being one of them. But if our top preferences are gone, I think we’ll keep a spot open and trial a couple of young guys as well as Naismith and Free in the preseason instead.
Interesting that we picked Lloyd Meek at pick 69 in the 2017 draft. He didn’t
debut till 2021.
So we can pick well into the fourth round, but back then we were cellar dwellers.
So we may go mature aged, and have that ruck ready for an assault?
The reality is that if both Darcy, Jackson are available, it’s for a decade, so whats
the point of developing for trade?
I’d rather go the WC route of 2018, and still win a flag without NN.

Yeah there must be some major red flags or flaws in both of their games. Are they lacking pace of something I wonder.

Clearly they're not considered topliners but we don't have selections where the topliners are. I'm backing our team in to find some developing talent at our picks that'll turn out to be at worst, good strong depth whoever that is, and there's a very good chance that they'll be players not featured in the top 30, because they're not going top 30.

Last edited:
Seems to me that Lemmey and Scully will do well to get drafted at all. Not even remotely on the radar of the top 30 now

They’re the two biggest questions I have. If I had to guess, I’d say Scully goes 40-60 and Lemmey maybe as a rookie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back