Autopsy Should have Could have - but didn't. Down by 2 against Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Buddy is done. He's time has come to an end as an automatic pick. Getting beaten regularly, looking slow, lethargic & lacking confidence. We need to move on from him for the betterment of our future. Imo team functions better without him.

Cunnigham should go too, hardly sighted & when involved he was sloppy. Clarke is a direct swap for him. Clarke is a gun in his role.

Assume both McCartins will miss, these would be my changes:

Outs: P. McCartin, T.McCartin, Cunningham, Buddy
Ins: Fox, Gould, Clarke, Roberts, Mclean or Melican (sub). Whoever is our best tall in reserves.
I remember they put Ryan O’Keefe out to pasture about 4 or 5 weeks into the season. When it’s time it’s time.

He switched hands. That's all he did... He moved the footy from one hand to the other... Didn't move off the mark. Didn't jump or shift agressively in any direction... He shifted the ball (while Finlayson still, illegally, had a handful of jumper) then got called play on. Absolutely ridiculous call. Summed up the umpires for the night.

Why can't we have qctual professional full time INDEPENDANT umpires?

Hint: The AFL is too money hungry to pay more to make us an actual professional sport.

Done it twice in 2 weeks.
Thick as a brick, that one.

The good - Chad warner. Superstar he is, our point of difference that game. Dane Rampe. Brilliant, he could only do so much with both McCartins but he can hold his head up high, was very good in the contest. I thought our 3rd term was good. We seemed to front up to their pressure and convert our chances well.

The bad - These constant surges we give up of clearances, contested possessions, inside 50s and conceding goals in minutes. Same as last year, needs to be fixed ASAP, or that's top 4 or even 8 goodbye. Having periods throughout the game not being tough enough around the ball.

The Ugly - Florent not being able to kick 40 metres and no one blocking on the line to let it roll through. Had a good game though, heartbreaker of a finish.

+22 Inside 50s. Don't need to explain anything else really. Buddy is literally a liability.

Heartbreaking but we move on. I feel so bad for Ollie. One of our best players tonight and showed plenty of composure.

For anyone that attended the game, BloodRet might be able to give some observation but did our forward structure look poor or was the entries into the fwd 50 poor? (ignoring obvious leads, targets etc)?

Thoughts and I’ll try and be as rational as possible

1. Ridiculous squad selection. On a cold night with weather around why are we picking an excess of talls? Could have easily just played 1 ruck with another small.

2. Buddy he’s done cooked whatever you wish to call it. It’s been a great career but the call has to be made.

3. Our mids bar Warner tonight…what in the blind you know what was that…after being as soft as butter the week prior. This was WORSE. Make some calls Horse, picking the same next week that will do me.

4. Bombing the thing…we bombed it in over and over again it never works stop doing it. Lower your eyes. I don’t think it’s any surprise our best game was when Bud wasn’t there.

5. We are probably a 5-10 side this year and that’s at best.

We moved on from ROK and Maxfield quickly and unfortunately for JPK it took until that injury to realise that we were a better side moving on from him (not mentioning that GF). Father time can hit like a brick wall and maybe it is hitting Buddy now.

They persisted with Lloyd but heard he got a talking to by the coaching staff when he was well down on form instead.
I think as much as anything it's his inability to pressure as the ball comes out. And that is a liabilty

For anyone that attended the game, BloodRet might be able to give some observation but did our forward structure look poor or was the entries into the fwd 50 poor? (ignoring obvious leads, targets etc)?

Entries were ABYSMAL just bomb and hope. They rebounded it out the fat side all night long. Apart from Logan both Bud and Amartey were dreadful.

Doesn’t excuse Ladham’s for putting himself into that risky position to hand off standing right where the mark is. Can’t control the stupid umpiring decision but can control his own stupidity to hand off or baulk right on the mark.
He didn't baulk. He changed position to prepare himself to do so should he choose to... completely different action. Not a "play on" motion. If it is then when a player swaps hands before kicking for goal then it should be called too... but it's not (nor should it be).

A ridiculous call by an umpire who should be better coached, paid & managed. Our umpires should be independantly administered, promoted & managed. They should be full time. They should be constantly reviewed by a third party to ensure consistancy of application... the AFL is so unprofessional in how they employ, administer & manage the umpiring of the game it shows in the shoddy calls we saw tonight.... Yet noone will do anything about it. It's crazy to me that we all sit back & see the unprofessional nature of the umpiring in our sport & just let the AFL abuse that area for their own greed & image protection.

Done it twice in 2 weeks.
Thick as a brick, that one.
Sure... but it's not a free kick. You can change hands... Am I going crazy? Have I missed something? He got the ball, chanfed hands then got called to play on... WTF?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He didn't baulk. He changed position to prepare himself to do so should he choose to... completely different action. Not a "play on" motion. If it is then when a player swaps hands before kicking for goal then it should be called too... but it's not (nor should it be).

A ridiculous call by an umpire who should be better coached, paid & managed. Our umpires should be independantly administered, promoted & managed. They should be full time. They should be constantly reviewed by a third party to ensure consistancy of application... the AFL is so unprofessional in how they employ, administer & manage the umpiring of the game it shows in the shoddy calls we saw tonight.... Yet noone will do anything about it. It's crazy to me that we all sit back & see the unprofessional nature of the umpiring in our sport & just let the AFL abuse that area for their own greed & image protection.

He did Baulk as he shaped to handball but didn’t. You’re missing the point completely. Doesn’t matter about the incorrect call it’s on Ladham’s for getting pinged last game and repeating the action. Two steps back puts the defender out of reach. He then did it again in the next play. Defend him all you want but it’s completely on him to learn from his errors.

The lame arse excuses for umpires not being professional has driven me mad for years on end with the AFL. In the grand scheme of the billions the game gets, it would not be much.

But hey - the AFL would rather just take probably 50m+ in secret money from bookies through product fees and try to pretend they don't get that (or even show any transparency as to how much it is) and keep doing a half arse job on the umpiring instead.

Paddy's concussion is a real worry. Looked terrible afterwards as well. Hopefully there is nothing long lasting from it.
Not much to add panicked disposal , poor inside fifty delivery. Had enough chances to put it away but Port missed a few as well. Umpires were really poor but no team was really advantaged by it.
Bit deflated after that ...at least we get a chance to see some new faces next week , might force Horse to look at the set up and change it up.
He's done if we are serious.
We took a chance on him. Should have pinched a p'ship.
Now we go back to recruiting a defender.

Sure... but it's not a free kick. You can change hands... Am I going crazy? Have I missed something? He got the ball, chanfed hands then got called to play on... WTF?

That’s the rule this year, they have been hot on it all year. Don’t love the interpretation but it’s consistent

If Buddy is dropped then I want Heeney to play his role in the fwd 50, I don't want another 'Tall' replacing Buddy.
Yep, would be good to have 2 small forwards to add to the pressure.

If it came to it, I’d prefer to have the sub as a tall if it meant we could have a smaller forward line (if we were worried about only having two players that can ruck).

Buddy still takes the best defender every week and our 2nd and 3rd talls are so bad that it would be comedic seeing Mcdonald getting obliterated every week. Remember our 2nd best tall is probably Reid and if that doesn't scare you nothing will.

When Bud was suspended our whole forwardline functioned a million times better. Everyone will say “oh but it’s only Hawthorn”…it’s not the side it’s how it functions. Mids lowering their eyes, kicking through rather than bombing it because well Bud is there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back