Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I agree with much of this there is one question that needs to be asked in response, why are we still playing the youngest and most inexperienced side 7 years into a full rebuild? JL aside our list management 'strategy' has been...interesting.

JL admitted that he ****ed up by not selling the future plan better to Logue, Acres and Tucker so we lost them, and Lobb shafted us so he could be with his missus and Mundy was 103. 5 mature aged players replaced with only 1 in JOM.

Last edited:
It’s not that we should be top 4 with our list as young as it is its how gutless, timid & generally insipid the way we’re playing that’s the issue.

The awful list management of losing Logue, Acres & Lobb plus selling the farm for Jackson is a whole other conversation.

I can't believe we paid two first round and 1 second round picks for Jackson.

He was uncontracted Freo and Jackson held the power not the Dees.

Our first plus our second would have been sufficient from last year. We are going to miss out on a much needed young gun top 10 pick or even top 5 pick.

Look at the 22 on the park this week. Who is playing as well or better as last year? Serong, Walters, maybe Darcy. Can't think of anyone else.

This isn't a bottom four list but it's a bottom four performance so far. I'm not accepting of these performances as a fan of the club.

We're still reasonably young so I'm reasonably confident we can turn it around... with a different coach.
So what period of underperformance are we talking here? Six games? Seven games? Are young players not susceptible to swings in form? Is there no value in players getting games together to develop cohesion? Do we rate a shorter period now higher than a prolonged period immediately proceeding it?

right - so off 1 game he's a bad coach? and off a bottoming out period when he's blooding youth he's a bad coach? On your methodology JL is a pretty bad coach right now.
Lyon is the only coach to take us to a GF, Minor Premiership and sustained success, yet you focus on 1 bad game (which happened to be round 22 in a season we were bottoming out) during a time when we had horrendous injuries and were blooding youth?

It was common knowledge Bell disagreed with Lyon because Lyone would actually stand up to the little white ant.
I don't think Lyon is a bad coach. I've said numerous times around here he is a good coach.

But he had four bad seasons in a row. Over those four seasons, his losing percentage was worse the Malthouse's tenure at Carlton. Both got the sack.

When you perform as bad as Lyon did over 4 years getting the sack us pretty inevitable. You dont need to blame it on a white ant.

That 2016 season was a truly diabolical coaching performance.

The game where we gave up 23 goals in a row... well that's a VFL/AFL record for shittiness.

I loved the run from 2012 to 2015. Was there at the 'G in 13, etc

But if you celebrate Lyon because of the good times of 2012-2015 it's hypocritical to ignore the bad times of 2016-2020.

Lyon has higher highs as a coach than Longmuir, but he also has lower lows as well.

(PS: I don't rate Longmuir anyway.)

Surely we can all agree that Lyon was good for the club, got us to our first GF etc, but was done by the end? Additionally he needed that time off to re access his coaching & reinvent himself with better management of his coaching staff & the ability to let them do their job?
As he said the other day ”I just watch training now”

I don't think Lyon is a bad coach. I've said numerous times around here he is a good coach.

But he had four bad seasons in a row. Over those four seasons, his losing percentage was worse the Malthouse's tenure at Carlton. Both got the sack.

When you perform as bad as Lyon did over 4 years getting the sack us pretty inevitable. You dont need to blame it on a white ant.

That 2016 season was a truly diabolical coaching performance.

The game where we gave up 23 goals in a row... well that's a VFL/AFL record for shittiness.

I loved the run from 2012 to 2015. Was there at the 'G in 13, etc

But if you celebrate Lyon because of the good times of 2012-2015 it's hypocritical to ignore the bad times of 2016-2020.

Lyon has higher highs as a coach than Longmuir, but he also has lower lows as well.

(PS: I don't rate Longmuir anyway.)

100% this. Lyon was taking us nowhere. He'd lost his mojo, his gameplan was behind the times, and couldn't give a heck.

The hiatus in the media plus, I'd suggest a strong deal put together by the Saints has renewed his vigor. He's got an amazing group of assistants something he never had with us, and he seems to be totally allowing them to do their job and actually help with the gameplan and strategy etc, again something he didn't do with us.

New coach please?
My gut feel (or maybe wishful thinking) is we will make a play for Hinkley under the same circumstances we got Lyon. Kochie has been non-commital about extending him and has undermined him and publicly aired ultimatums for a couple of years.

I know PA are flying at the moment but would not surprise me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

world louis GIF

if he isn’t sacked by the end of the year I don’t think I can renew.

we don’t have a ******* clue, playing like under tens….
same.

He so isn’t the guy .

What worries me tho is we ll move too late by which stage pyke will be off the table*
(Probably at wc)

We play the most boring, uninspiring football out of any team. Please f*ck this guy off, he's got no idea.

Sack him! Demons are looking at us & laughing at their luck.

Are Freo going to sit on their behinds & watch them give Demons pick 1 or 2?

leadership_lemmings.gif

1682753189243.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back