Draft Review 2010 - Revisit the 2010 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Darling and to a lesser extent Lynch are being underrated significantly. AA forwards who play over 200 games are locks for top 5 in this draft especially when Parker, Gaff and I.Smith have been the only consistent midfield guns of the draft.

My list broken up into tiers:

Tier 1 - Star of the competition
McGovern

Tier 2 - Consistent guns/High level KPFs
Parker
Darling
Lynch
Gaff
Smith

Tier 3 - High level players who’ve had 1 or 2 gun seasons

Heppell
Prestia
B.Smith
Guthrie
T.McDonald
Libba
Howe
Jonas

Tier 4

Menengola
Seedsman
Lyons
Swallow
Dalhaus
Johanisen
Hibberd
Lycett
Jenkins
Polec
Cripps
Caddy
Wallis
Puopolo

My thoughts are:

- You could argue that Parker and Darling deserve to be in a tier 2 by themselves given Darling will kick over 500 goals and Parker is no question the best mid in the draft.

- I have Menengola, Seedsman and Lyons as likely to jump into tier 3 given they were late developers and are only separated from some of the players in tier 2 because they’ve played significantly less football.

Darling and to a lesser extent Lynch are being underrated significantly. AA forwards who play over 200 games are locks for top 5 in this draft especially when Parker, Gaff and I.Smith have been the only consistent midfield guns of the draft.

My list broken up into tiers:

Tier 1 - Star of the competition
McGovern

Tier 2 - Consistent guns/High level KPFs
Parker
Darling
Lynch
Gaff
Smith

Tier 3 - High level players who’ve had 1 or 2 gun seasons

Heppell
Prestia
B.Smith
Guthrie
T.McDonald
Libba
Howe
Jonas

Tier 4

Menengola
Seedsman
Lyons
Swallow
Dalhaus
Johanisen
Hibberd
Lycett
Jenkins
Polec
Cripps
Caddy
Wallis
Puopolo

My thoughts are:

- You could argue that Parker and Darling deserve to be in a tier 2 by themselves given Darling will kick over 500 goals and Parker is no question the best mid in the draft.

- I have Menengola, Seedsman and Lyons as likely to jump into tier 3 given they were late developers and are only separated from some of the players in tier 2 because they’ve played significantly less football.
Good list. Seedsman plays another year like 2021 and yeah definitely tier 3.

The difference for Menegola is that he had only previously been rookied and had not been continuously on a list.
Actually Podsiadly had a similar background to Menegola having been rookie listed by 2 clubs prior to getting to Geelong some years later.

Lyons wasn’t a real delisting the second time round though. GC had a contract in front of him but Brisbane made an offer to him after the trade period was finished so to look after Lyons they delisted him as they weren’t willing to come close to matching Brisbanes offer

1. Jeremy McGovern
2. Luke Parker
3. Andrew Gaff
(Steven May)
4. Jack Darling
5. Tom Lynch
6. Dyson Heppell
7. Dion Prestia
(Charlie Dixon)
8. Isaac Smith
9. Brodie Smith
10. Cameron Guthrie
11. Jeremy Howe
12. Michael Hibberd
13. Jarryd Lyons
14. Tom Liberatore
15. Tom Jonas
16. Tom McDonald
17. Josh Jenkins
18. Luke Dahlhaus
19. Jason Johannison
20. Jamie Cripps

Fairly deep draft with a few quality players missing (Swallow, Polec, Caddy, Atley, Wallis, Lycett, Puopolo, Seedsman, Menegola), but the top-end isn't that much to write home about. Not sure how happy non-West Coast fans would be with the draft.

1. Jeremy McGovern
2. Luke Parker
3. Andrew Gaff
(Steven May)
4. Jack Darling
5. Tom Lynch
6. Dyson Heppell
7. Dion Prestia
(Charlie Dixon)
8. Isaac Smith
9. Brodie Smith
10. Cameron Guthrie
11. Jeremy Howe
12. Michael Hibberd
13. Jarryd Lyons
14. Tom Liberatore
15. Tom Jonas
16. Tom McDonald
17. Josh Jenkins
18. Luke Dahlhaus
19. Jason Johannison
20. Jamie Cripps

Fairly deep draft with a few quality players missing (Swallow, Polec, Caddy, Atley, Wallis, Lycett, Puopolo, Seedsman, Menegola), but the top-end isn't that much to write home about. Not sure how happy non-West Coast fans would be with the draft.
Luke Parker at 2? You're joking.

1. Jeremy McGovern
2. Luke Parker
3. Andrew Gaff
(Steven May)
4. Jack Darling
5. Tom Lynch
6. Dyson Heppell
7. Dion Prestia
(Charlie Dixon)
8. Isaac Smith
9. Brodie Smith
10. Cameron Guthrie
11. Jeremy Howe
12. Michael Hibberd
13. Jarryd Lyons
14. Tom Liberatore
15. Tom Jonas
16. Tom McDonald
17. Josh Jenkins
18. Luke Dahlhaus
19. Jason Johannison
20. Jamie Cripps

Heppell's a bit high I reckon.

Luke Parker at 2? You're joking.
IMO he's clearly the best mid of the draft. And has been rock-solid reliable for pretty much all of his career. I guess you can say that he's never been truly elite but he's held it together better than Gaff has and has been more consistent than Darling/Lynch.
Heppell's a bit high I reckon.
Yeah, possibly. Though he did have one really good year back in 2014 and was really solid for a number of years. Prestia and Smith at least definitely have cases to be ahead, though.

IMO he's clearly the best mid of the draft. And has been rock-solid reliable for pretty much all of his career. I guess you can say that he's never been truly elite but he's held it together better than Gaff has and has been more consistent than Darling/Lynch.

Yeah, possibly. Though he did have one really good year back in 2014 and was really solid for a number of years. Prestia and Smith at least definitely have cases to be ahead, though.

I'd have Prestia outside the top 10 and at least bring in Howe, Lyons and Hibberd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Jeremy McGovern
2. Luke Parker
3. Andrew Gaff
(Steven May)
4. Jack Darling
5. Tom Lynch
6. Dyson Heppell
7. Dion Prestia
(Charlie Dixon)
8. Isaac Smith
9. Brodie Smith
10. Cameron Guthrie
11. Jeremy Howe
12. Michael Hibberd
13. Jarryd Lyons
14. Tom Liberatore
15. Tom Jonas
16. Tom McDonald
17. Josh Jenkins
18. Luke Dahlhaus
19. Jason Johannison
20. Jamie Cripps

Dixon at 7? Jesus. That's about 20 too high.

If I can throw in another scud missile, swap Gaff and Darling.

Gaff has as much hurt factor in his usage than what Tom Mitchell does.

While he's not shown it this year, Jack Darling has shown himself to be more damaging and clutch worthy than Gaff.

If I can throw in another scud missile, swap Gaff and Darling.

Gaff has as much hurt factor in his usage than what Tom Mitchell does.

While he's not shown it this year, Jack Darling has shown himself to be more damaging and clutch worthy than Gaff.
Darling does have a couple of moments in important finals that he will not want his grandchildren to ever see.

Yeah I'd say Prestia and Issac Smith should be higher. At least above Heppell and maybe even Lynch

I'm taking Lynch ahead of Prestia then, now and forever.

No one can eclipse Parker though.

Also, Isaac Smith ---> Cameron Guthrie ---> Jarryd Lyons.

I'm taking Lynch ahead of Prestia then, now and forever.

No one can eclipse Parker though.

Also, Isaac Smith ---> Cameron Guthrie ---> Jarryd Lyons.
Probably true as Prestia just cannot get his body right. He's done a lot but let down a fair bit by injury.

Guthrie is having a late run but his last ~2 years have been a big improvement. Probably way too late to catch the top few but I'd have him creeping into the top 10

My best 22 of this draft:

Jeremy Howe - Jeremy McGovern - Tom Jonas
Brodie Smith - Josh Walker - Dyson Heppell
Andrew Gaff - Dion Prestia - Isaac Smith
Mitch Wallis - Tom McDonald - David Swallow
Jack Darling - Tom Lynch - Luke Dahlhaus
Scott Lycett - Luke Parker - Tom Liberatore
Cameron Guthrie - Paul Seedsman - Jarryd Lyons - Jason Johannisen

Stacked midfield, great tall forwards. Lack a second good key defender and a small forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back