Preview 2023 Rd 11 Carlton vs Sydney Friday May 26 7:50PM @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in:-

IN:
Tom De Koning, Brodie Kemp
OUT: Ed Curnow, Jack Silvagni, Lewis Young

After starting last weekend as sub, George Hewett has been elevated to the starting 22.

Backs:Sam DochertyJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Half-backs:Brodie KempMitch McGovernAdam Saad
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsOliver Hollands
Half-forwards:Matthew KennedyHarry McKayTom De Koning
Forwards:Corey DurdinCharlie CurnowJesse Motlop
Followers:Marc PittonetGeorge HewettSam Walsh
Interchange:Jordan BoydAdam CerraMatthew Cottrell
Matthew Owies
Emergencies:Ed CurnowLachie FogartyJack Silvagni
Lewis Young

Last edited:
You mean Sam "long bomb to no one" Docherty play mid/fwd. That'll fix the connection issues.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Snapped a nice goal recently, and we do need more speed, agility and endurance through the middle

Just bring in Cincotta and back in the defensive group

Every time he gets the ball he’s a deer in the headlights. He can’t even push back after a mark aggressively to give himself space.
Young is very ordinary & his confidence is also super fragile, one little mistake & he's shot.
Weiters (runs on the board notwithstanding) has been worse than Young most of this season.

Every time he gets the ball he’s a deer in the headlights. He can’t even push back after a mark aggressively to give himself space.
Young is very ordinary & his confidence is also super fragile, one little mistake & he's shot.

I thought he'd make good sub for tonight as pretty versatile (back, forward, ruck) but maybe he's better to have a run around in the twos and get his hands on the ball.

The melts will be off chops if we lose this and rightly so IMO. Season over if we don't win.

Bookmark this & get the popcorn ready...

I mentioned in 2 or 3 post game threads that I think Young is close to being dropped and probably got lucky that Durdin got injured.

What he does well, he does well. He's a good read of the ball and mark, I like his intercepting. However, he completely falls apart at a sign of physical contact, he's one of the softest KPP I've seen. If he's on a KPF that likes to play physical he's helpless - ala Taylor Walker. He's a finesse defender through and through. Also his disposal has fallen away. Used to think he was quite a safe and sound kick, didn't take on hard ones but hit the simple passes efficiently, however now suddenly he's slow and somewhat iffy with disposal.

He hasn't been bad, he's just limited. I would like to see Durdin in the team as I'm not sure about Kemp as a no.2 KPD, he's more a 3. Shame Durdin isn't fit.

Honestly, I just hope they don't give Ed the sub vest. He is - like Hewett - the worst choice for tactical sub.

Jack or Fog. I'd give JSOS the spot as the best choice for it. Offers more effort and energy than any other player on out list + has the ability to play just about every role.

I mentioned in 2 or 3 post game threads that I think Young is close to being dropped and probably got lucky that Durdin got injured.

What he does well, he does well. He's a good read of the ball and mark, I like his intercepting. However, he completely falls apart at a sign of physical contact, he's one of the softest KPP I've seen. If he's on a KPF that likes to play physical he's helpless - ala Taylor Walker. He's a finesse defender through and through. Also his disposal has fallen away. Used to think he was quite a safe and sound kick, didn't take on hard ones but hit the simple passes efficiently, however now suddenly he's slow and somewhat iffy with disposal.

He hasn't been bad, he's just limited. I would like to see Durdin in the team as I'm not sure about Kemp as a no.2 KPD, he's more a 3. Shame Durdin isn't fit.
Throw him in as the 2nd ruck and TDK down back.

Weiters (runs on the board notwithstanding) has been worse than Young most of this season.
That's just wrong.

Young with ball in hand is a chain ender. A movement stifler. Regardless of their ability to negate opponents (which I'd still have Weitering ahead anyway), Young's offensive deficiencies are just too great to overcome.

Weiters has been well below his best, but even then he's comfortably ahead of Young.

QUOTE="SkyhorseTamer, post: 79368265, member: 173434"]
maybe his kicking but defensively no and it's not close. Weiters is still punching and beating his opponent at the higher standard
[/QUOTE]

That's true. For all the criticism Weitering has been okay defensively. He just hadn't provided anything offensively. No intercept marking and garbage with ball in hand.

Young has been the opposite. Okay offensively (though not as good as last year) but a liability defensively.

I feel like Young is a confidence player and when he's not confident his form suffers. Probably the type that will benefit from smashing it in the 2s for a few weeks before coming back in.

He will need to as I don't think Kemp as 2nd tall is sustainable against the teams with bigger forwards. That said, getting him in for a few weeks allows him to audition against Gov for the 3rd defender spot. If Gov continues to play like the last few weeks he will go out for Young not Kemp.

Given the above (and I'll probably get laughed at) but could Young play that high half forward/wing roll - the hitup player coming out the backline that JSOS has been trying to play and allow H and Chuck to stay deep. Leave McGovern and Kemp down back.

Edit: If he had the endurance then in that role he might also drift back as the intercept on occasions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

QUOTE="SkyhorseTamer, post: 79368265, member: 173434"]
maybe his kicking but defensively no and it's not close. Weiters is still punching and beating his opponent at the higher standard

That's true. For all the criticism Weitering has been okay defensively. He just hadn't provided anything offensively. No intercept marking and garbage with ball in hand.

Young has been the opposite. Okay offensively (though not as good as last year) but a liability defensively.

I feel like Young is a confidence player and when he's not confident his form suffers. Probably the type that will benefit from smashing it in the 2s for a few weeks before coming back in.

He will need to as I don't think Kemp as 2nd tall is sustainable against the teams with bigger forwards. That said, getting him in for a few weeks allows him to audition against Gov for the 3rd defender spot. If Gov continues to play like the last few weeks he will go out for Young not Kemp.
[/QUOTE]
how many teams actually have 2 gun talls to stop?

geelong/bris - play young for those

the rest kemp could be enough

That's just wrong.

Young with ball in hand is a chain ender. A movement stifler. Regardless of their ability to negate opponents (which I'd still have Weitering ahead anyway), Young's offensive deficiencies are just too great to overcome.

Weiters has been well below his best, but even then he's comfortably ahead of Young.
Also, Weiters gets the no.1 job every week.

Weiters has been down, but not awful. It just stands out more when Weiters is down as his watermark is so high.

Cripps hasn’t extracted the ball out the middle for 5 weeks, Kennedy is the only one looking likely.
Bollocks. Cripps hasn't been great but he's still been our best inside mid. He's averaged 15 contested possessions (and 2nd career high in CPs over the season, at 17 per game) and 5 clearances a game in the past 5 games, which is down on his career average but still elite for a mid.

There's no doubt Cripps is down on form and impact outside the contest but he's still an elite inside mid and our best mid. His number are far better than Kennedy, who has 1 game this season with more clearances than what Cripps averages over the past 5 weeks (which as stated before, is a career low period) and only has 2 games for the season with double digit CPs (both 11), while Cripps is averaging 17 per game.

Cripps destruction is being massively overblown, as evidenced by the nonsense statement that Kennedy is looking more likely than him. He's not in Brownlow form and his dynamism outside the contest has dropped a lot, but he's still in the top handful of inside mids in the game and leads the comp in CPs.

Last edited:
The only players that should have a license to do these "long bombs" are:

Doc
Saad
Newman
Cottrell (redheads are an exception)
Kennedy
Charlie

Lets talk again when we see these other players kick efficently beyond 20m..

Bollocks. Cripps hasn't been great but he's still been our best inside mid. He's averaged 15 contested possessions (and 2nd career high in CPs over the season, at 17 per game) and 5 clearances a game in the past 5 games, which is down on his career average but still elite for a mid.

There's no doubt Cripps is down on form and impact outside the contest but he's still an elite inside mid and our best mid. His number are far better than Kennedy, who has 1 game this season with more clearances than what Cripps averages over the past 5 weeks (which as stated before, is a career low period) and only has 2 games for the season with double digit CPs (both 11), while Cripps is averaging 17 per game.

Cripps destruction is being massively overblown, as evidenced by the nonsense statement that Kennedy is looking more likely than him. He's not in Brownlow form and his dynamism outside the contest has dropped a lot, but he's still in the top handful of inside mids in the game and leads the comp in CPs.

100% true. I think Cripps would be top 3 in our b & f at the moment

Ive not seen a hard McGovern since he came to Carlton. I assume it's because he's got no confidence in his body to withstand going all out. He can rebuild that confidence in the twos because he's been pretty soft all year

The odd blind side tackle doesn't make someone tough either. They're the simple ones. He's just not body lining the ball, not crashing packs and he's been dropping too many marks.
He was never hard. He was the 4th or 5th fiddle in that Adelaide forwardline behind Walker, Jenkins, Betts & Cameron. He never did much more than offer the odd highlight reel mark, but aside from that he was barely sighted (as are his highlight marks with us, all but vanished as soon as he arrived in Melb). It worked in that team as he was a cream player that could use his dynamism on occasion as a point of difference but was never really relied upon to consistently be a reliable forward target as he had 4 ahead of him to do that.

Ricciuto was exactly right when he publicly questioned us for paying so much for him. He was criticised at the time, especially on this board, but he was right.

He only played 6 games last season so maybe the problem is he cannot play consistently good football over the course of an entire season. His career output supports this view. IMO he is a grossly overrated footballer and the sooner he is gone from our club the better.

Either way if he puts in another game like the one he played against the Pies then he is gone as Marchbank surely isn’t too far away from senior team selection. I’d actually prefer to see Plowman back in the side than watch Gov play the way he has the last few games. Embarrassing the jumper.
McMerc has been playung like there is a games played bonus in his contract. Piss weak, avoiding running too fast in case his hammies go, squibbing to avoid any other collision based injury. Was really confident in him coming back this year and dominating, like those 6 games last year. More disappointed in him than anyone else in the team and there are lots!

Maybe a part (and only a part, because there is more to it) for the Young omission has to do with a Weiterbot reboot. "Weiterbot, you're it. You get to command backline. Get to it." Just a random thought...
I think Young does a good job on the monster KPF’s but some of the more mobile forwards have really belted him this year. There’s no way in hell he was the right matchup for Buddy Franklin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back