• Andrew McQualter

Votes: 87 37.8%
  • Adem Yze

Votes: 146 63.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing has changed drastically tactically but I've noticed players are playing back in their normal roles.

Cotch back in the middle, Dusty playing a lot more minutes in the midfield, Short at half back.
Though Bakes has gone forward which has really worked well, and is Graham tagging.
Need to watch the game again but caught up watching Usman K picking the Poms apart

The McQualter effect

R1-10 (Hardwick)R11-14 (McQualter)
Points for77.915th88.07th
Points from forward half intercepts 23.115th33.34th
Score per inside 50%38.5%18th49.0%3rd
Kick inside 50 retention%41.8%17th48.0%7th
Disposal differential-11.014th+9.35th
Uncontested possession differential-13.514th+9.06th
Mark play on%29.3%1st24.0%11th
Clearance differential-3.616th+0.88th
Pressure applied17714th1867th

Yeah .... Nah it feels so good when we win despite all the corruption.

Let's keep Benny at Tigerland and win a threepeat anyway-

A real Dynasty is 5 Cups not this 3 and we are happy rubbish.

If Dermie is a 5 time premiership player, Dusty and the lads still have work to do
hawks only started winning flags back then cos they got our zone

3 wins in 4 games is great, but again we must ensure that we've gone through the full process to find the next coach. Don't want a David Teague situation where he came in a caretaker at Carlton when Bolton got the sack, went on to win 6 of the last 11 games and they got caught up in the hype generated from those results. 50 games later he was gone.

Then there is our own history with getting carried away by caretaker results when Gieschen was appointed after a strong run of results from his caretaker stint and 2 years later was gone.

If McQualter is the man after a thorough process then so be it.
The club knows what it's doing.

Remember our last caretaker coach? Jade Rawlings. He was so poor he should've been the first caretaker sacked!! Then he cracked the sh!ts he wasn't given the gig when the club appointed Dimma.

With quality assistants around him, the key prerequisite of the head coach is relationship building. Mini appears to very much tick this box.

There's still a fair chunk of the season to go, but from the evidence so far, we could do a lot worse than give Mini the reigns.

One thing that is evident the culture through the playing group is still right at the pointy end.

I do believe the club have this in mind and their is a train of through that we really do not want to upset the apple cart and get someone in who may feel the need to stamp the impression on the joint.

This will definitely hold Mini in with a high chance of landing the gig
Samurai Pizza Cats! I forgot about that cartoon. Just hit me with a wave of nostalgia

Seems like the players like McQualter. I’m a fan of him tbh. However, it’s also important to not rush the process.

On a side note, is there a caretaker coach that took their side to finals? Has that happened before?

Last edited:
The club knows what it's doing.

Remember our last caretaker coach? Jade Rawlings. He was so poor he should've been the first caretaker sacked!! Then he cracked the sh!ts he wasn't given the gig when the club appointed Dimma.

With quality assistants around him, the key prerequisite of the head coach is relationship building. Mini appears to very much tick this box.

There's still a fair chunk of the season to go, but from the evidence so far, we could do a lot worse than give Mini the reigns.
Don't disagree that Mini is doing a lot right at the moment, but outside Paul Roos, I don't think there has been a caretaker to come in, then retain the role, and then go on and be successful in the last 30 years.

Prior to that Alan Joyce at Hawthorn is the only other caretaker who achieved success as a caretaker, but took over at a time when they were winning or playing in the Grand Final every year, had initial success in 1988 when Jeans missed a year and then took over once Jeans finally left at the end of 1990. He won in 1991, then despite making finals in 92 & 93 was sacked.

That is why I want to see the club go through the full process before they rubber stamp McQualter

So basically we were playing too fast...

we have slowed our play down, by not playing on from marks as much and it has resulted in us being able to set up our structures, leading to more uncontested possession, greater efficiency inside 50, greater ability to force intercept and to force stoppage and get numbers to clearances.

Interestingly that was what Buckley said we needed to do in his commentary in the first half of the Port game.

The McQualter effect

Would love to know the change in % of ball going around the boundary

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So basically we were playing too fast...

we have slowed our play down, by not playing on from marks as much and it has resulted in us being able to set up our structures, leading to more uncontested possession, greater efficiency inside 50, greater ability to force intercept and to force stoppage and get numbers to clearances.

Interestingly that was what Buckley said we needed to do in his commentary in the first half of the Port game.

Would love to know the change in % of ball going around the boundary
Interestingly I thought the Doggies V Port match was a frantic fast affair...doggies were going super fast but just could not open up a lead on Port and eventually lost the game.
Thought that speed kills/wins games...seems not!

I've got to give Mini some credit. I have been whinging and moaning about our structure all year and Mini has fixed it. Dimma had been trying to fit all our midfielders into the team by resting some forward but it had rooted our forwardline mix. We needed more small forwards to pressure the opposition half backs, create space in our F50 to run back into and link up with the midfield to free up our tall forwards...and he did it. I think part of it was through necessity with Hopper injured but most of it was getting back to what works.

Cotch and Dusty need to predominately play as mids.
Pickett forward works - pressure, speed, smarts, leap and X-Factor
Ross on the wing has embraced the role
Taranto relishes the responsibility of being our number one midfielder
Short and Rioli are excellent half backs

I'm happy to have Hopper back in the team as long as they replace him with a like for like player. If they try and do the forward resting shuffle again, expect similar results to the beginning of the year

The McQualter effect

WOW they are some pretty compelling stats.

Thats an ouch by Jacky Boy

Asked on Triple M Footy what had turned the Tigers season around, as it now sits ninth on the ladder, half a game back to the Western Bulldogs and Adelaide Crows, Riewoldt quipped: “We got rid of Dimma. He was in the crowd tonight, carrying right on, wasn’t he. The crowd was going ballistic when he started doing his little handshake. It’s all about him.

“But I think for us, we’ve just got back to playing the Richmond brand of football. I couldn’t put my finger on one thing but guys are probably playing a bit better as individuals and I suppose that just turns into a better team performance.”

Riewoldt also paid tribute to Cotchin.

“He means a lot to me but I think it’s more about what he means to the Richmond faithful,” Riewoldt said.

mind you I reckon he was taking the piss on the journos
Of course he bloody was ,,, if you recall Dimma said he called jack and he thought it was all about him

Seems like the players like McQualter. I’m a fan of him tbh. However, it’s also not important to rush the process.

On a side note, is there a caretaker coach that took their side to finals? Has that happened before?
i like the tigers when we create new ground and make our own rules, that's when we are at our best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back