List Mgmt. Luke Jackson - Yay or Nay?

Do you want to pay the high price tag for Luke Jackson?

• YAY

• NAY

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it was between Bray/Cerra/LDU and we wanted Brayshaw most and tried to figure out the best deal of the 3, take Cerra first and both the others are gone, so we picked Brayshaw knowing LDU would go but we still get Cerra
I think you are right, and it also highlights the problem with ranking players. All three projected well but also have different playing styles and attributes.

And the ranking dilemma is reduced with those three given they were all mids. Throw names like Jackson, Amiss or Andrew into the mix and rankings don't actually look like a pure art.

Reading JLO’s comments on the dockers website, it sounds like they want to start Jackson playing as a forward ruck, but a lot more time in the ruck than Lobb ever spent there, which is probably good for Darcy’s long term fitness. At a guess, I’d say the ruck split will be 60:40 with Darcy taking the 60.
Can see Darcy really becoming a handful in the forward line.
I think Jackson’s partnership with Sean will create an enormous
headache for opposition coaches.
It’s pretty hard not to get excited about next year, the new recruits appear
to make us a better team, without the predictability of a lone spearhead.
Sure Lobb had a good year by his standards, but the lack of two talls in the
forward line was always going to bite eventually.
Availability will hold the key to our success, and at least now we can move on
from playing short in attack.

Reading JLO’s comments on the dockers website, it sounds like they want to start Jackson playing as a forward ruck, but a lot more time in the ruck than Lobb ever spent there, which is probably good for Darcy’s long term fitness. At a guess, I’d say the ruck split will be 60:40 with Darcy taking the 60.

Can see that changing a lot tbh. They’re very different rucks.

Ones got absolute brute strength, the other is a great athlete. Who the opposition is will play a part in the break up of the ruck split.

Up forward neither are natural forwards really but for similar reasons to above will be difficult for the opposition. Not sure you can put the same defender on both players when they’re in the forward line tbh.

Blue Shark is, I think, one of our most astute observers. It was not just Lobb's pea-heartedness (because while he is the alltime posterboy for relucmen, he did play brave a few times last season when plainly injured) it was that we were so ridiculously formulaic in our approach and he did not even remotely dominate or demand the pill enough to warrant going exclusively through him. (Of course, the irony is not lost that the one team he did manage to bitchify is the team he now plays for).

I cannot count the amount of times he directed ballcarriers to pop it out the back and then moaned like a cranky nanna when, after going up one-handed hoping not to get hurt, the ball hit the deck and was whisked straight back out again.

If we can keep Tabs on the park for long enough - and he does all the running to the pockets while Amiss, Treacy and/or Jackson run proper patterns and one completes a lead straight to the feet of the ballcarrier - then we are miles ahead of just having Lilywhite Lobb and the five dwarves.

If we can keep Tabs on the park for long enough - and he does all the running to the pockets while Amiss, Treacy and/or Jackson run proper patterns and one completes a lead straight to the feet of the ballcarrier - then we are miles ahead of just having Lilywhite Lobb and the five dwarves.
Overall last season I was disappointed with the development of our forward line. There seemed to be little development of a connection between midfield and forward line and a real lack of diversity in terms of forward options.

Posters on here routinely put that on Lobb, and to a slightly lesser extent Acres. That's not unreasonable but I think it is a little bit too narrow a focus.

I think a fair share of our improvement next season needs to come from the coaching.

Yes I agree it was disappointing last year in terms of forward development, I was really hopeful the Jamie G effect was going to be more apparent. I also agree coaching could/should have an impact on it next season.

One thing I noticed from my seat in the stands most of the year was the difference between our setup in the forward half versus other teams. Its something which is clearly a strategy or planned setup and one I hope they change or do better with next year. I first noticed it in the Blues game at home, saw it again down at Geelong and then at all our other home games.

At any stoppages in our forward half (boundary or bounces) we had 3 guys line up in spots that really clogged our forward 50. 1 would position himself top of the square, 1 about 30 out and 1 on about the 50 and all in line right on the centreline of the ground. That meant if we got a dump kick in, we had 2 forwards who had led their man to wherever the ball was likely to drop and crowded things up. It also meant if we got it clear from a stoppage, there was no space for our guys to lead too because someone was already standing there. The worst thing you can do for an inside 50 entry is kick to a standing target so we were knackered from the setup.

Initially I thought it was just dumb or inexperienced forward play as the first guys I noticed doing it were Colyer, Schultz and Freddy. Then once I noticed it, and kept on noticing it, it was clear it was a plan. I'd even see our guys point to one of those spots to get someone to fill it if noone was there.

I'm sure it has a purpose in keeping the ball in or something along those lines but it really kills space and leading lanes for the forwards and was a real detriment to scoring. Even with the guy pumping it in having time with the ball he'd see our guys filling the dangerous spots with defenders right next to them and therefore always where the ball went, no matter where it went.

By contrast, when watching opposition forward setups in the same situations, they would often have their key forwards wave guys away from those very spaces our guys had been setting up in. Their guys would be pushed up closer to the stoppage or pulled further back to give number support deeper.

It was stark contrast once I noticed it and something I'm hoping to see less of next season. Alternatively I'm hoping whatever they were trying to do with that setup works much more often than it did last year. Either way it is definitely coaching related.

I think the topic heading should change to-

Luke Jackson - Yeah Nah.

Happy Smile GIF by MOODMAN

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was wrong too, but at least I wasn't "trade Sean Darcy because we can't play both" levels of wrong :tearsofjoy:

Going back to the start of this post, I miss Salem Malik.
Guy had an eye for talent, was a little rough around the edges but Freo all the way.
He’d be proud of how Jackson has come on.
Swapping Lobb for Luke was a no brainer.

Same... me and a couple of posters met up at Peel for a pint at half time.

I hope he enjoyed last season as we rose up the ladder

I'm avoiding work like the plague (it will hurt me shortly I'm sure) so I had to go a step further and go through this thread in a bit more detail. The thread really takes a nosedive at about page 8 with some really spicy hot takes, presumably after a shitty finals performance by Jacko.
Amiss is still a few years off physically - no doubt he'll develop into an A-Grade Key forward, note the word immediately.

Plug Jackson into our goal square next year, with Darcy doing the bulk of the ruck work, the kid kicks 40 - he is more physically suited to wrestle with Key defenders and has the ability to lead up.

Amiss will over take in time, but while this window opens, Jackson could be the chief beneficiary.

I am never wrong.
While I'm sure I could find multiple instances of where you have been proven wrong already, I like this one because you (like all of us mere mortals), underestimated how ****ing incredible Amiss is already.

If we're paying this years first (13-18) and next years first (likely in the same range) then it's a steal IMO, he's a unique talent. It it were two 1sts in the top 10 it would be a different story.

Salary is the big one, I don't want to offer him the world and risk losing important players
This wasn't too bad, only slightly off on the 2023 draft pick :sweatsmile:

Back