Review Cats keep season alive with 12 point win

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Parfit looked keen when he came on? Worth a start against the Pies?

I'd say yes - I thought last night was his best impact at senior level this season, and we should be rewarding that with selection in the 22

We looked a midfielder short at times last night, especially when we tried switching O'Connor into Rioli and were then trying to balance the loss of O'Connor from the midfield rotation

I hope serious consideration is given to Neale coming in to play forward, but think we do need to add a midfielder or 2 - I mentioned during the game last night, maybe Tuohy as the one to make way

When he came on he gave us the full Parfitt experience.

Good in tight, creative with handball and surprisingly elusive in traffic.

But also not able to work well away from stoppage and non-existent damage by foot (he literally had 8 handballs and zero kicks, 25 total metres gained).

I am Parfitt defender, but only in a specific role, which is best suited when surrounded by other players that can cover for his shortcomings.

The real Captain out there is Tom Stewart.
I didn’t mine Danger being appointed captain at the start of the year. I thought he deserved it.
But as the year has gone on I can’t help but think they made the wrong call. He says too much in the media.
His games against Brisbane and Freo were atrocious and now him coming out saying he’s mentally struggling to get up for games, it’s not a good look at all. I wouldn’t want any player saying that openly, especially not the captain!
The player who’s supposed to lead the team by example.

I'd say yes - I thought last night was his best impact at senior level this season, and we should be rewarding that with selection in the 22

We looked a midfielder short at times last night, especially when we tried switching O'Connor into Rioli and were then trying to balance the loss of O'Connor from the midfield rotation

I hope serious consideration is given to Neale coming in to play forward, but think we do need to add a midfielder or 2 - I mentioned during the game last night, maybe Tuohy as the one to make way
Yes we need another 1-2 mids. Stengle should be in the gun.

I didn’t mine Danger being appointed captain at the start of the year. I thought he deserved it.
But as the year has gone on I can’t help but think they made the wrong call. He says too much in the media.
His games against Brisbane and Freo were atrocious and now him coming out saying he’s mentally struggling to get up for games, it’s not a good look at all. I wouldn’t want any player saying that openly, especially not the captain!
I am fine with Danger being captain this year. Consider it acknowledgement for time served and the contribution he has made to the club. He was owed it and is recognition for a bloke who has been unfairly criticised throughout his time at Geelong.

But it should be a short term appointment, and it would not surprise at all if someone else took the job next year.

Blitz is the best leader we have got. Give him the job if we think he has 2 more years of quality footy. If not give it to Tom Atkins for the next 3 years before Clark or Holmes is ready for the job.

Don't want to lecture but if we're going to be commenting- Danger is going to be one of the first to discuss mental health issues.
The ALFPA (players are people first) and the AFL drive for integrity, transparency and acceptance around mental health.
Support needed, most people understand that - but don't cringe at his admission or try and guess what his mindset is.

Agreed. Should actually be captain.
I love Tom Stewart but can be a bit undisciplined at times in the heat of battle and is getting more and more sucked in to doing stupid things the older he's getting, he needs to find a way to control his emotions. the right man got the captaincy IMHO.

Without Blitz as a midfielder, we can play Parfitt for clearance and defensive work. We’re still lacking burst and spread from centre but perhaps Parfitt handball can create space.

If Close and Stengle are quiet, then they might be options for spark, class and spread from the centre. We’ve been trying this on a few occasions with probably limited success but we some attack in there.

The hardest job at the Geelong FC this year was always going to be who stepped in as captain following on from Selwood - and that's not just from a team leadership perspective, but the media side also, because if the team's not going to well, it'll be the coach & captain most often fronting the cameras

We know Dangerfield is comfortable in front of the camera, he'll talk to them in the good & bad times, and at times he likes to have a bit of fun with them which I don't see a problem with. I don't think media criticism will get to him

I think he also offers something of a safer option in transitioning from Selwood to a potentially longer term captain in a year or two

I love his endeavour and he seems like a Geelong type of person (ripper bloke) but I still worry about his disposal by foot. We didn’t see any of they last night (didn’t kick) but over past few vfl games he didn’t improve.

A role as inside and handball out is what he is suited to. Over the course of a full game I fear his weakness gets exposed?

But I wonder whether he might be a designated sub as his best chance of playing in the 23 if we go on a run? Other than Rohan and o Henry (both of whom are now best 22) we haven’t had a sub who can impact. Which is critical. I was thinking a 2e or smith might end up in that role with full availability but I think Parfitt could keep that spot? He has proven a couple of times that he has the mindset and body to come on and impact.

That is not to say he doesn’t get a crack at 22 in next few weeks

Without Blitz as a midfielder, we can play Parfitt for clearance and defensive work. We’re still lacking burst and spread from centre but perhaps Parfitt handball can create space.

If Close and Stengle are quiet, then they might be options for spark, class and spread from the centre. We’ve been trying this on a few occasions with probably limited success but we some attack in there.
Stengle can’t play midfield at the moment. Work rate is nowhere near good enough to be in the midfield. He would blow up in 3 minutes.

Danger’s exact comments (Fox Footy post-game).

(Betts asks him how his body is feeling):

“It’s old, I’m 33. I’d be lying to say that every week it’s easy to get up for. The big challenge as you get older is the mental side of the game. And to be frank, it’s harder to get up for a game that’s in the middle of the day than it is prime time when it’s all humming. These are special games to be part of, you never take prime time footy for granted and we’re in a fortunate position that we play plenty as a footy club. So for us, it’s keep looking for those little things that spur you on. Tonight was a grind but we were able to find a gear.”

It seemed a pointed reference to last week’s game and perhaps the players not being switched on.

Danger also spoke about the team having a bonding day at Torquay during the week - seems the focus at the moment is about connection and energy, which we’ll need to ensure are on for the next three weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blitz is the best leader we have got. Give him the job if we think he has 2 more years of quality footy. If not give it to Tom Atkins for the next 3 years before Clark or Holmes is ready for the job.
Why would Stewart not be the obvious candidate?

Anyway, I'm happy with Dangerfield as a leader. God knows that nobody has put in more on-field effort over the last seven years to put the club on his back and carry us over the line. He's also pretty clearly a natural leader in the way that he carries himself.

He's not Selwood. People seem to want him to be Selwood - understandably - but he's not the same kind of person, or the same kind of leader. Selwood is more of the old-fashioned type; Dangerfield is a bit more nuanced. Neither is necessarily better than the other, in that sense.

“It’s old, I’m 33. I’d be lying to say that every week it’s easy to get up for. The big challenge as you get older is the mental side of the game. And to be frank, it’s harder to get up for a game that’s in the middle of the day than it is prime time when it’s all humming. These are special games to be part of, you never take prime time footy for granted and we’re in a fortunate position that we play plenty as a footy club. So for us, it’s keep looking for those little things that spur you on. Tonight was a grind but we were able to find a gear.”
Honestly, I don't see a problem with this.

It seemed a pointed reference to last week’s game and perhaps the players not being switched on.

Danger also spoke about the team having a bonding day at Torquay during the week - seems the focus at the moment is about connection and energy, which we’ll need to ensure are on for the next three weeks.
Perfectly reasonable comments.

Why would Stewart not be the obvious candidate?

Anyway, I'm happy with Dangerfield as a leader. God knows that nobody has put in more on-field effort over the last seven years to put the club on his back and carry us over the line. He's also pretty clearly a natural leader in the way that he carries himself.

He's not Selwood. People seem to want him to be Selwood - understandably - but he's not the same kind of person, or the same kind of leader. Selwood is more of the old-fashioned type; Dangerfield is a bit more nuanced. Neither is necessarily better than the other, in that sense.
My Personal opinion - blitz is a better leader and probably has a similar amount of fuel left in the tank.

Stewart is a great player and leads by example, but he can also be prone to a brain fart that costs the team. I just think he is better when he is doing his own thing.

I don’t want Stewart burdened with the captaincy, but I think blitz would be a natural at balancing the team/captaincy demands and doing his personal job.

Just my opinion, I am not in the inner circle of the club so to be honest I probably know jack shite.

Stengle can’t play midfield at the moment. Work rate is nowhere near good enough to be in the midfield. He would blow up in 3 minutes.
Agree. Which is a shame as I reckon he would be a good clearance player

Come on Geelong ...ahhhhhhhh at loud super high pitch.
That's bull shiteeeeeettttt.
Hurry up.....ahhhhhh.

Was that her ....in her oshie.
Very scaring looking ....too.
When the opposition were going for goal - Mmmmiiiiiiiiss, mmmmiiiiiiiiisss in an extended screech.
Yeah that was her. It takes all sorts at the footy. She's...passionate.

Honestly, I don't see a problem with this.

I love the honesty, would love to see more of it and think it should be encouraged

All too often we seem to expect the players to be robots and give the answers we want to hear, but how refreshing to hear some honesty

I love the honesty, would love to see more of it and think it should be encouraged

All too often we seem to expect the players to be robots and give the answers we want to hear, but how refreshing to hear some honesty
Remember when Ryan Griffen said once that it felt like Richmond gave up in the second half and got pilloried for it?

Richmond lost by 100 points, for the record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back