Autopsy Round 23, 2023: St.Kilda v Geelong *HIGGINS 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

You should open your eyes. You have an agenda against Clark, he was good last night. Acknowledge it and move on. The basis of your issues with him are basically correct, he needs to do extra to become an elite AFL player, but your visceral hatred towards him is becoming Cairnsman like.

he was good last night. Does that mean it wipes clean his other games? Of course not, will he ever go that extra mile to become elite? Getting late in the career to change habits.
One thing is for sure Lyon keeps playing him. He must see something. However if he doesn't really really want it, Lyon will move him on.
There's no other option for Lyon to use here. The sub is the best option for Clark whos tank is no where near AFL standard. The disposal is sloppy.

But what other option do we have? Ideally it'd be seb but he's injured.

Bytels issues are more compounded than Clark. Byrne's can't play inside.

So then you're talking about moving guys around which obviously upsets the balance.

The answer coming up is to bring in a ready made mid or bring in high end talent that pushes guys further into the middle over the pre-season.

It's not hatred it's observation of his game.

I know he didn’t have a huge impact but every minute Pou is out there it is great for his development. Look at the passion on him as well. Loves it
He just needs another 1-2 preseason and some time in the gym to build up his physicality and confidence and he'll be a beast. Just think he's turned 18 this season, most 1st year players are 18 turning 19

You should open your eyes. You have an agenda against Clark, he was good last night. Acknowledge it and move on. The basis of your issues with him are basically correct, he needs to do extra to become an elite AFL player, but your visceral hatred towards him is becoming Cairnsman like.

he was good last night. Does that mean it wipes clean his other games? Of course not, will he ever go that extra mile to become elite? Getting late in the career to change habits.
One thing is for sure Lyon keeps playing him. He must see something. However if he doesn't really really want it, Lyon will move him on.
Yep, it’s getting boring

The field umpire can give 3 signals.

The two hands up for a goal
One hand up for a behind
And both hands behind thier back if they're not sure
You mean the goal umpire?

I've been through the rules .pdf and searching 'review', 'score', and 'video' gives absolutely nothing that addresses the review system.

Far as I can tell, they haven't even bothered codifying the process. Shamble organisation.

There's no other option for Lyon to use here. The sub is the best option for Clark whos tank is no where near AFL standard. The disposal is sloppy.

But what other option do we have? Ideally it'd be seb but he's injured.

Bytels issues are more compounded than Clark. Byrne's can't play inside.

So then you're talking about moving guys around which obviously upsets the balance.

The answer coming up is to bring in a ready made mid or bring in high end talent that pushes guys further into the middle over the pre-season.

It's not hatred it's observation of his game.
He also gets out of congested situations and clearance through whatever freakness that he does possess.

You mean the goal umpire?

I've been through the rules .pdf and searching 'review', 'score', and 'video' gives absolutely nothing that addresses the review system.

Far as I can tell, they haven't even bothered codifying the process. Shamble organisation.
It’s fishy. When they call for a review for all sorts of clear situations, but not that?

The Hill trade was discussed a lot this week, and fair enough.
In fairness, when doing the trade we probably should consider that last night's Hill is probably what our club (and supporters) had in mind at the time. He was epic.

The Nas/Hill/Sincs machine is a bloody sight to behold when it's up and running.

Maybe the stars are aligning for us:

Getting the Hill that we thought we were getting (I think Hell needs his team mates to be doing what they need to do for us to see the best of him).

Having the way of the pace huffing and puffing Cordy that many of us witnessed at training, and when used up forward apart from one game was ineffectual, become a reliable Key Defender just when we needed one, and who has proven to be very good with his use of the ball. (Though be fair to Cordy, defense is where he has played most of his AFL career).

Max back and firing, PLUS kicking accurately. Membrey getting into the swing of things. Cooper "Delist" Sharman blending in perfectly giving us a good mix of three marking forward targets all with different strengths. Adding these to our small now gives us a very well balance forward line.

Wood over the knock he got earlier this season, and is back in town.

Roma looking to be moving more freely.

Nasiah, just get better and better.

And has Sincs somehow managed to go up yet another notch? Right now I think there is a case to say that he is THE best player in the competition.

Just need to get Steele back to being Steele again now.

Yeh I can’t see how the **** up with the Keays goal is on anyone other than the goal umpire.

Looking at a few other angles it’s actually baffling he didn’t call for a review, even if he got it right and it took a hotspot edge of the post he could not possibly have been sure with the speed of the ball, the late swing from the snap, the hands in the way.

I think if there’s a positive out of it, no goal umpire will be willing to take the risk after this idiot was stood down. Also hope they bring in ARC being able to stop play and bring it back within 15 seconds or something to check anything they might see (ala what the NRL has).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clark is objectively bad.

Can't run, sloppy disposal, horrific spread.

Has some unique attributes but they don't cover the deficiencies.

To be 6 years in and be used as a sub constantly after being a top 10 pick is appauling.

If Clark IS good he should either get a big contract extension from us or get a big, lucrative offer contract from someone else.

Can't see it happening.

nfc championship nfl GIF

Crows situation giving me PTSD
For those that don’t watch NFL..
That was the most blatant pass interference you will ever see, on a game winning touchdown in the equivalent of a prelim.
But the league just moved the rams to LA.
LA being a basketball market as Sydney is a rugba leeg market here.
No whistle.

Or basically..

drew brees football GIF

To be honest, we can't really worry about other games outside our control.

Yes, the afl stuffed up. Syndey choked hard in the last quarter and it should never have come down to that.

Let's go to Brisbane next week and finish the job!
100%, we've got nothing to lose by throwing the kitchen sink at it and just going for it.

Win, loss or draw, we've had a great season and something to build off from here - as opposed to last season where we showed almost no fight when it the season was on the line.

Yeh I can’t see how the * up with the Keays goal is on anyone other than the goal umpire.

Looking at a few other angles it’s actually baffling he didn’t call for a review, even if he got it right and it took a hotspot edge of the post he could not possibly have been sure with the speed of the ball, the late swing from the snap, the hands in the way.

I think if there’s a positive out of it, no goal umpire will be willing to take the risk after this idiot was stood down. Also hope they bring in ARC being able to stop play and bring it back within 15 seconds or something to check anything they might see (ala what the NRL has).

Goal umpire for "captain calling" instead of following process.
Controlling field umpire for losing control of that moment and clearing SFA as goal to kick out took 10 seconds according to Gil.

This is perhaps the worst decision they could have made, as it shows toothless, zero accountability, and they expect a scapegoat to satiate the masses and sad thing is, it will to the games detriment.

How great would it be for next week to have multiple teams vying for 2 spots? Last stand instances for the season, instead, we have this. I don't think any club actually would be happy with that sort of response from AFL house.

Goal umpire for "captain calling" instead of following process.
Controlling field umpire for losing control of that moment and clearing SFA as goal to kick out took 10 seconds according to Gil.

This is perhaps the worst decision they could have made, as it shows toothless, zero accountability, and they expect a scapegoat to satiate the masses and sad thing is, it will to the games detriment.

How great would it be for next week to have multiple teams vying for 2 spots? Last stand instances for the season, instead, we have this. I don't think any club actually would be happy with that sort of response from AFL house.
Yeh, I’m not sure I want the field umpire being involved in goal umpiring decisions outside of calling something touched off the boot from 10+ metres out. It’s not their area of adjudicating and ego wise they might be the worst of all.

We will wind up with some field umpire in the centre circle screaming in demanding a review on a goal one touch (that is actually 2 metres clear) and sending it up with a soft call of whatever was wrong and the camera missing the frame to overturn it.

The arc would have gotten it right last night if not for the goal umpire shitting the bed.

Yeh, I’m not sure I want the field umpire being involved in goal umpiring decisions outside of calling something touched off the boot from 10+ metres out. It’s not their area of adjudicating and ego wise they might be the worst of all.

We will wind up with some field umpire in the centre circle screaming in demanding a review on a goal one touch (that is actually 2 metres clear) and sending it up with a soft call of whatever was wrong and the camera missing the frame to overturn it.

The arc would have gotten it right last night if not for the goal umpire shitting the bed.
If there's no codified process, the AFL is going to get bent over in court.

Oh nah, just in that case there is a controlling umpire for play in that F50, it is that umpires job to confirm the score when one is scored, they did not do this as they did not approach that goal umpire to confirm that end of time period for that reset.

That's what I mean by controlled SFA, it's not just the goal umpire shooting from hip though they are main perp.

It's actually more like a combined 50 point turnaround in GWS' favour. E.g. we lose by 25 points and they win by 25.

The more we lose by the smaller the turnaround needs to be. We need to keep it close against Brisbane (or even better, win).
Exactly. A 30 point loss and then winning by same would do it. The way the dogs are going v WCE we may be in a percentage battle with them as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back