Autopsy Round 23, 2023: St.Kilda v Geelong *HIGGINS 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh nah, just in that case there is a controlling umpire for play in that F50, it is that umpires job to confirm the score when one is scored, they did not do this as they did not approach that goal umpire to confirm that end of time period for that reset.

That's what I mean by controlled SFA, it's not just the goal umpire shooting from hip though they are main perp.
Razor would be happy to step up and have a go if this helps?!

The little fella is also reluctantly prepared to take on boundary line decisions if this also assists.

Oh damn it - Razor has said he will do the lot! No need to say thank you.

I had this conversation with a few mates last week regarding the Petracca nongoal/touch.

For me, unless the post has just been rammed into or you and everyone in the stadium can see the ball has been touched.

The “soft call” should be a goal and the technology should then come in to correct the call.

It would have ensured the right result last night and it would have been perfectly fair to have awarded last weeks Petracca point a goal that video evidence couldn’t tell you if it even touched anything.

Loved seeing Hunter ironing out a Geelong player within a few minutes of coming on from his Head Injury Assessment.

There are some very interesting takes on Hunter from some on here, claiming he played poorly which is easily refuted by watching him, but they’re in the minority. One thing that is often overlooked is just how clean he is with his hands, and I’m not limiting this to his hand balling.

He has a unique ability to handle the ball with one hand to get kicks out when being tackled and, more importantly for our team, almost always gathers the ball extremely cleanly, even from a terribly executed handball. If you watch him gather/receive the ball, the time between contact of ball to hand and having it completely under control is near instantaneous and even for a one handed collect. I don’t think I’ve ever really seen anyone like him in that regard.

Couple that with his great kicking off either foot and composure in traffic, and I don’t see the hate for him. Yes, he needs to put in some more work off the field but he is by no means completely off the pace. This is from a 2020 article:

Top-five most distance covered in a game in 2020
Jack Sinclair, 13.5km v St Kilda, round 9
Hunter Clark, 13.2km v St Kilda, round 9
Jack Billings, 13.1km v Port Adelaide, round 8
Hunter Clark, 12.7km v West Coast, round 17
Hunter Clark, 12.7km v Gold Coast, round 10

Top-five most distance covered per game in 2020
Hunter Clark, 11.8km
Jack Billings, 11.8km
Bradley Hill, 11.5km
Jake Carlisle, 11.2km
Jarryn Geary, 11.2km

Put simply, you cannot cover more distance than others in the same amount of time unless you’re running (on average) faster than them. So unless you are seeing Hunter running aimlessly whilst the ball is dead and every other player is stationary, or he is capable of breaking space-time conventions, then he is running as fast, or faster, than every one of his team-mates across the course of a match. It is possible his endurance has waned since 2020, but track watchers noted he finished in the back half of the stronger running group during time trials so he hasn’t fallen off the face of the earth by any means.

My take is that he suffers from the same thing Nicky Dal did, which was an ostensibly slow running style and low intensity due to their body language, but the stats don’t match up. Meanwhile, the eye test easily refutes apparent issues with his kicking. Throw in his alleged trade request last year and he becomes an easy target for vitriol, subconsciously or otherwise.

Loved seeing Hunter ironing out a Geelong player within a few minutes of coming on from his Head Injury Assessment.

There are some very interesting takes on Hunter from some on here, claiming he played poorly which is easily refuted by watching him, but they’re in the minority. One thing that is often overlooked is just how clean he is with his hands, and I’m not limiting this to his hand balling.

He has a unique ability to handle the ball with one hand to get kicks out when being tackled and, more importantly for our team, almost always gathers the ball extremely cleanly, even from a terribly executed handball. If you watch him gather/receive the ball, the time between contact of ball to hand and having it completely under control is near instantaneous and even for a one handed collect. I don’t think I’ve ever really seen anyone like him in that regard.

Couple that with his great kicking off either foot and composure in traffic, and I don’t see the hate for him. Yes, he needs to put in some more work off the field but he is by no means completely off the pace. This is from a 2020 article:

Top-five most distance covered in a game in 2020
Jack Sinclair, 13.5km v St Kilda, round 9
Hunter Clark, 13.2km v St Kilda, round 9
Jack Billings, 13.1km v Port Adelaide, round 8
Hunter Clark, 12.7km v West Coast, round 17
Hunter Clark, 12.7km v Gold Coast, round 10

Top-five most distance covered per game in 2020
Hunter Clark, 11.8km
Jack Billings, 11.8km
Bradley Hill, 11.5km
Jake Carlisle, 11.2km
Jarryn Geary, 11.2km

Put simply, you cannot cover more distance than others in the same amount of time unless you’re running (on average) faster than them. So unless you are seeing Hunter running aimlessly whilst the ball is dead and every other player is stationary, or he is capable of breaking space-time conventions, then he is running as fast, or faster, than every one of his team-mates across the course of a match. It is possible his endurance has waned since 2020, but track watchers noted he finished in the back half of the stronger running group during time trials so he hasn’t fallen off the face of the earth by any means.

My take is that he suffers from the same thing Nicky Dal did, which was an ostensibly slow running style and low intensity due to their body language, but the stats don’t match up. Meanwhile, the eye test easily refutes apparent issues with his kicking. Throw in his alleged trade request last year and he becomes an easy target for vitriol, subconsciously or otherwise.
Great write up and agree completely, he will be good for us for another 5+ years.

Was a fun match last night!
Yes, I think that's our best side. Cordy is streets ahead of Dougs and Sharman/Caminiti is a toss up for me. With Seb missing we need a sub so that's probably Billings. An in form Coff would be a welcome addition but he'd better hurry up. Lots to like about this team. The kicking skills of Sincs, Naz, Hill, Wilkie, Stocker, Webster and Cordy are sublime. So rare for a Saints side.
Agree with all but definitely Sharman over Caminiti.
Hammers gone well but I don’t see him coming back in.
Sharman is an incredibly reliable goal kicker.

Agree with all but definitely Sharman over Caminiti.
Hammers gone well but I don’t see him coming back in.
Sharman is an incredibly reliable goal kicker.
I like the agro Caminiti brings but am happy with Sharman. No drama with making Caminiti bust a gut for his spot in the team.

I like the agro Caminiti brings but am happy with Sharman. No drama with making Caminiti bust a gut for his spot in the team.
He's clunking them in the VFL today - has 2 in the first half. Hayes has 3. Sandy 9 goals up at half time.

The thing is, out of all the games we need to go our way, only our opponent has something to play for.

Brisbane are playing to 100% lock in a top 2 spot
Carlton will probably rest some against GWS
Chris Scott said in his presser that they will look to get guys into surgery asap so they will probably have a bunch of people out as well.

Incredible.
Nobody wants to end the season on a loss though - just look at the Eagles now.
Go Eagles!!

Caminiti is very young. Building some form in the VFL can't hurt

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trying to stay calm watching this game….

Scared Kermit The Frog GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back