Preview 2023 National Draft Preview Thread [currently: #2, #14 (PA), #19 (PP) #40, #52, #60]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats Up Hello GIF by Justin

What is the timing of announcing FA comp and priority picks? I have a feeling AFL could screw us over if we have #1 and get 2 from either. I would look to turn 2 into GC's 4, 24 &/or 29. Then use 16, 24 & 29 to get back into the First round.
If we have 1, 2 & 3 surely we turn one into multiple 1st, early 2nd picks.
Draft assistance is announced first. So McKay compo can't impact it. We won't know for sure if he's even leaving at that point.

My preferred is:

#1 Reid
#2 Watson

#2 could reasonably be any one of Mckercher, Curtin or Watson. With Sanders a strong rumour to come in, I think Mckercher makes less sense but still a chance because he's obviously a great talent.

Then with our Port pick I like Mitch Edwards or Ollie Murphy
Are you assuming we get Sanders, or don't have him that high in the draft?

What is the timing of announcing FA comp and priority picks? I have a feeling AFL could screw us over if we have #1 and get 2 from either. I would look to turn 2 into GC's 4, 24 &/or 29. Then use 16, 24 & 29 to get back into the First round.
If we have 1, 2 & 3 surely we turn one into multiple 1st, early 2nd picks.
Priority picks is grand final week

Good luck to them arguing against 3 wooden spoons in a row

Are you assuming we get Sanders, or don't have him that high in the draft?

Yeah assuming we have Sanders mate. I've been on record as saying he's the smartest player in this draft and a top 3 kick - he's has as good of a year as you could expect from a draftee.

Will come in and have an impact at (hopefully) our club from round 1.

For a team who has finished as bad as we have, I can’t see how missing out on Reid and a better draft hand isn’t better than finishing 17th.

Provided we don’t win, I’m not sure how the AFL give us good McKay compo and access to Sanders

Because McGoos compo is based on his contract it’s got nothing to do with the AFL handing out compo, if the contract is long enough and enough money we get band 1 which is first round directly after your first pick just as the Frawley compo was..

My preferred is:

#1 Reid
#2 Watson

#2 could reasonably be any one of Mckercher, Curtin or Watson. With Sanders a strong rumour to come in, I think Mckercher makes less sense but still a chance because he's obviously a great talent.

If we have 1 and 2 then I'd be trading 2 back to GC for pick 5 and a big haul.

Then I would take Reid and Watson.

Yeah assuming we have Sanders mate. I've been on record as saying he's the smartest player in this draft and a top 3 kick - he's has as good of a year as you could expect from a draftee.

Surely we won't be allowed to get Sanders, Pick 1, 2 (PP) & 3 (FA). We could make out like bandits. Even Sanders, 1 & 2 is a bloody beautiful thing.

I don't know how to feel.

Do not want another spoon but this'll save us losing that Port first for the chance to potentially snag Reid.

I found myself hoping West Coast would hold on though, so I suppose deep down I felt this was the better outcome.

No one really wants another spoon, but who wants 2nd last either? Not exactly anything to celebrate. And if if opens the possibility of pick 1&2, so be it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My preferred is:

#1 Reid
#2 Watson

#2 could reasonably any one of Mckercher, Curtin or Watson.

Been thinking Souup been on Ried and Watson like you all year but now thinking with next years draft full of Mids and no KPD or KPF would we be better to take Ried Curtin and Osullivan especially if we get axes to Sanders who we may have to use the Port pick for anyway i think it works like that if he goes in the top 40 and then get a gun mid next year. Maybe not a good idea just interested on your thoughts knowing how keen you are on Watson. Get 2 key position players and to gun mids this year in this way Thoughts.

Effectively him, Reid and B. George into our 22 for next year. That's got to give us all hope.

Priority picks is grand final week

Good luck to them arguing against 3 wooden spoons in a row
Imagine people thinking we will get less because we came last! The whole anomaly argument for FA, which is a separate issue to PPs anyway, is being considered the wrong way around. It is supposed to be if a league superstar leaves a mid table team, preferably an AFL love child, to pump the compo up. Not reduce it.

Because McGoos compo is based on his contract it’s got nothing to do with the AFL handing out compo, if the contract is long enough and enough money we get band 1 which is first round directly after your first pick just as the Frawley compo was..
the one problem is that the afl can do whatever they want. Hawks supporters will tell you the injustice of the Buddy compo based on contract length and amount. But they don’t mind considering the PP they got to get their stars

Lucky we don't do our injury report on Sunday's. I'm afraid all our good players got injured yesterday and we'll be looking forward to seeing Jacob Edwards getting his long awaited debut to replace a sore Larkey.
Next minute kicks 10 😂😂

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back