Preview 2023 National Draft Preview Thread [currently: #2, #14 (PA), #19 (PP) #40, #52, #60]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

All the hot air blown in here the last week. Now its come on down Reid and Curtin. Wonder if AFLs herbs and spices will see Mckays compo move to end first round regardless now.
IF the McKay contract is long enough and enough money we get band 1 which is first round directly after our first pick .

Last edited:
No one really wants another spoon, but who wants 2nd last either? Not exactly anything to celebrate. And if if opens the possibility of pick 1&2, so be it.
My thoughts exactly. Did not want that first spoon and now this #1 draft pick feels like a suitable “reward” for enduring the last three years.

Last edited:
Been thinking Souup been on Ried and Watson like you all year but now thinking with next years draft full of Mids and no KPD or KPF would we be better to take Ried Curtin and Osullivan especially if we get axes to Sanders who we may have to use the Port pick for anyway i think it works like that if he goes in the top 40 and then get a gun mid next year. Maybe not a good idea just interested on your thoughts knowing how keen you are on Watson. Get 2 key position players and to gun mids this year in this way Thoughts.
Not sure there's necessarily a right or wrong answer here, but it's a matter of philosophy regarding list management and value of positions.

The way I see it, an average defence can be protected with a good team defence, so I'd rather spend a high draft pick on a game-changing player like Watson considering our list is stacked with midfield talent after you potentially add Sanders to it.

There are others that will argue a key defender is our #1 priority and it should be Curtin without a doubt - fair enough, but Watson-like small forward match-winning talent is something I haven't seen since Rankine.

Not sure there's necessarily a right or wrong answer here, but it's a matter of philosophy regarding list management and value of positions.

The way I see it, an average defence can be protected with a good team defence, so I'd rather spend a high draft pick on a game-changing player like Watson considering our list is stacked with midfield talent after you potentially add Sanders to it.

There are others that will argue a key defender is our #1 priority and it should be Curtin without a doubt - fair enough, but Watson-like small forward match-winning talent is something I haven't seen since Rankine.
Cool mate just a thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the one problem is that the afl can do whatever they want. Hawks supporters will tell you the injustice of the Buddy compo based on contract length and amount. But they don’t mind considering the PP they got to get their stars

As per the rules Hawthorn got the first round compo with a pick after their first round pick because they won the flag they got pick 18 then 19 for Franklin, yes it was wrong but it is the rule.

Nothing to do with the AFL giving the Hawks pick 19.

Compo is designed to COMPENSATE for the loss of a player to another team and the value of that is based on ladder position, it was a deliberate rule to make sure that if the lower teams got plundered due to free agency they got picks to use to get players back in that would make up for the loss..

IF Mckays the contract is long enough and enough money we get band 1 which is first round directly after our first pick . AFL dont get have a say on the position on the pick...
If you believe that i dont know what to say. When have we ever gotten our due?

As per the rules Hawthorn got the first round compo with a pick after their first round pick because they won the flag they got pick 18 then 19 for Franklin, yes it was wrong but it is the rule.

Nothing to do with the AFL giving the Hawks pick 19.

Compo is designed to COMPENSATE for the loss of a player to another team and the value of that is based on ladder position, it was a deliberate rule to make sure that if the lower teams got plundered due to free agency they got picks to use to get players back in that would make up for the loss..
Yep, and the whole anomaly rubbish is there to make sure a team doesn’t get too little, not what the system is designed for. Think a ninth placed team losing Franklin, not the very top and bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back