List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nathan Brown was a good one you left out but purely a defender. I agree it is hard to understand and we didn’t always need good picks as real good ones were taken late in some drafts.

Ah, yes, good point. Brown was drafted in 2006. Another defender.

It’s as though Hine doesn’t want to risk a high profile forward draft failure so goes with the safer options of rucks and defenders. Imagine if we had a Curnow, Naughton, Larkey or Oscar Allen up forward right now!

Oh well, Free-Agency will just have to do.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Unless there's a clause regarding the introduction of another party to the agreement.
Yes, but I can't see why that would be written in the first place. I mean, why would Melbourne even consider a clause that would, if things didn't work out, mitigate Collingwood and be very costly to them.
I know that Melbourne are a pack of first rate floggers but I doubt even they would be that dumb.....or would they????:think:

My knowledge of contract law is minimal, however, I believe Collingwood would have a contract with Melbourne covering a portion of Grundy's contract.
If that contract is on sold to another club, I don't see how our commitment under that contract would be mitigated in any way.

Unless there's a clause regarding the introduction of another party to the agreement.
Typically commercial contracts have a clause that stipulates that the contract cannot be assigned (i.e. the right and obligations transferred) to a third party without the approval of one or all of the parties.

However, sometimes contracts will not require approval from a specific party to approve assignment of the contract.

As the details are all confidential, we just don't know what is included.

Yes, but I can't see why that would be written in the first place. I mean, why would Melbourne even consider a clause that would, if things didn't work out, mitigate Collingwood and be very costly to them.
I know that Melbourne are a pack of first rate floggers but I doubt even they would be that dumb.....or would they????:think:
It would have all been part of the negotiations in drafting the contract. The parties are essentially trying to minimise their own risk and maximise their own flexibility. Collingwood would want what is best for them, Melbourne the same.

We don't know the exact commercial terms and Collingwood may have accepted a worse draft pick or paid more salary (while playing for Melbourne ) on the basis that Melbourne accepted a more punitive clause if Grundy didn't work out for them and they had to can the deal.

My knowledge of contract law is minimal, however, I believe Collingwood would have a contract with Melbourne covering a portion of Grundy's contract.
If that contract is on sold to another club, I don't see how our commitment under that contract would be mitigated in any way.

Unless our contract is with Grundy that we pay him $x per year for y years while he remains a listed afl player.

I really struggle to name a many best-22 talls that we’ve DRAFTED in Hine’s time at the club.

Murphy, Grundy, Maynard, Scharenberg, Witts, Ceglar, Dawes & Reid are about all I can come up with. And only the last two of those ever played as forwards.

It’s very slim pickings over a 20-year period during which we would have made 80-100 selections.

Looking at who else has passed through our doors:

Mihochek was rookie list
Ash Johnson mid-season
McStay free-agency
Cox international rookie
Moore father-son
Kelly father-son
Frampton, Howe & Cameron all trades
Dean and Steene rookie list
Dunn & Roughead trades
Cloke father-son
Leigh Brown and Jolly both trades

Plus there were some failed Irish experiments whose names I can’t even remember.

It’s quite extraordinary that we’ve DRAFTED so few tall forwards. I shudder at the thought of the list of key forwards that we COULD have drafted during that period.

You forgot the big Q Stick. How dare you!!!

I really struggle to name a many best-22 talls that we’ve DRAFTED in Hine’s time at the club.

Murphy, Grundy, Maynard, Scharenberg, Witts, Ceglar, Dawes & Reid are about all I can come up with. And only the last two of those ever played as forwards.

It’s very slim pickings over a 20-year period during which we would have made 80-100 selections.

Mihochek was rookie list
Ash Johnson mid-season
McStay free-agency
Cox international rookie
Moore father-son
Kelly father-son
Dunn & Roughead trades
Cloke father-son

Plus there were some failed Irish experiments whose names I can’t even remember.

It’s quite extraordinary that we’ve DRAFTED so few tall forwards. I shudder at the thought of the list of key forwards that we COULD have drafted during that period.

Kreuger
McMahon
Tohill
Keane
Wilson
Madgen
Schade
McCarthy
McLarty
Wyatt
Marsh
White
Richmond
Frost
Q Lynch
Hartley
Gault
Gordon
Chris Tarrant!
Carter
Casey-Leigh
Thoolen
Bryan
Tyson Goldsack!
Jack Anthony!

Hall
Morrison

So including the players you listed that is 51 players out of 184 players comming into the club or 28%.

Of the 51 players 11 are best 22 (your 8 plus bolded) or 21% strike rate.

Kreuger
McMahon
Tohill
Keane
Wilson
Madgen
Schade
McCarthy
McLarty
Wyatt
Marsh
White
Richmond
Frost
Q Lynch
Hartley
Gault
Gordon
Chris Tarrant!
Carter
Casey-Leigh
Thoolen
Bryan
Tyson Goldsack!
Jack Anthony!

Hall
Morrison

So including the players you listed that is 51 players out of 184 players comming into the club or 28%.

Of the 51 players 11 are best 22 (your 8 plus bolded) or 21% strike rate.

Wow, it’s not a great strike rate, is it?

And who the hell are Schade, Richmond, Gordon, Casey-Leigh, Carter and Hall? 🤣

Free Agency seems the only path available to us in the near term, given our modest hand of picks this year and next. Let’s hope we’re now seen as a Destination Club, rather than suckers who can be relied upon to over-pay in an auction.

(BTW Tarrant was pre-Hine.)

Mihochek was rookie list
Ash Johnson mid-season
McStay free-agency
Cox international rookie
Moore father-son
Kelly father-son
Dunn & Roughead trades
Cloke father-son

A few corrections: 18 years (2005-2022)
around 55 national draft picks picked in total (not father son or rookie picks or academy or drafted non 1st years like L Ball and S Buckley)
10/55 is about 18%. (Counting Brown and Goldsack) (if you don't include players that didn't quite perform like J Anthony, C Gault, T Ruscoe, T Langdon, Marsh (last 2 played tall at times), etc.
If you did include them then it would be 16/55 (30%)

I think Hine tend to take a lot of speculation picks with talls in the rookie draft like Johnson, Mihocek or with overseas picks like Cox or Keene. You could argue that he often didn't have the picks to take those star players because Collingwood tends to trade out its early picks for players like Treloar or Beams.
He has also made some rookie selections that have done okay at other clubs like Michael Hartley or L Keeffe and we have had a few solid father son talls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow, it’s not a great strike rate, is it?

And who the hell are Schade, Richmond, Gordon, Casey-Leigh, Carter and Hall? 🤣

Free Agency seems the only path available to us in the near term, given our modest hand of picks this year and next. Let’s hope we’re now seen as a Destination Club, rather than suckers who can be relied upon to over-pay in an auction.

(BTW Tarrant was pre-Hine.)

Tarrant draft pre-Hine, Tarrant trade during Hine.

Our KPP strike rate is bad but if you look at the cost the only ones that were high draft picks:
McLarty Pick 30 in a week draft
Moore Pick 9
Grundy Pick 18
Dawes Pick 28
Brown Pick 10
Reid Pick 8
Morrison Pick 17 (I think this was Hine?)

So on picks under 30 he has a pretty high strike rate 5/7 or 71%.
But thats only 7 picks in 20 years so he doesn't draft KPP with high draft picks often.

Our KPP strike rate is bad but if you look at the cost the only ones that were high draft picks:
Moore Pick 9
Grundy Pick 18
Dawes Pick 28
Brown Pick 10
Reid Pick 8

But thats only 7 picks in 20 years so he doesn't draft KPP with high draft picks often.

And in fairness we torched a few first round picks on the lines of Beams 2.0, which otherwise could have been used to recruit talls.

But regardless Hine does seem allergic to recruiting tall forwards via the National Draft.

Anyway, what’s done is done. Here’s hoping we can land Naughton at the end of next year.

Moore Pick 9
Grundy Pick 18
Dawes Pick 28
Brown Pick 10
Reid Pick 8

That would look very different if we'd picked Larkey or Lewis instead of McLarty.

Ports seemingly does…I suspect Melbourne would if they didn’t already have Gawn. Either the way the original 2.8m figure is in accurate, let’s say he’s not worth 700k but 500. That’s a 400k saving
That's the saving relative to our valuation of worth. The actual saving is salary of player minus the cost of replacement. In this case it's Grundy's salary minus Steenes salary.

For our regular watchers of VFL and club training sessions, what’s the thinking about Oscar Steene? Could he make it as a key forward in the AFL?

Can take a Strong Contested Mark for a Kid his Size.

Though as about 201cm-205cm be more seen as a 1st Ruck

Mihochek was rookie list
Ash Johnson mid-season
McStay free-agency
Cox international rookie
Moore father-son
Kelly father-son
Dunn & Roughead trades
Cloke father-son

Are rookies not drafted...? Father-sons too for that matter.

So going by that only Players we might Bring 1 or 2 Fringe Players IF any at all

Could be a Boring Trade Period for Collingwood Fans
1 at most I reckon. Its pretty quiet on that front. Wouldn't be surprised if none pop up and just go to the draft.

1 at most I reckon. Its pretty quiet on that front. Wouldn't be surprised if none pop up and just go to the draft.

I could not see us doing Nothing.

Might even get a DFA or something like that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back