List Mgmt. Trade & Draft Discussion 2023 post season - Picks Reid,30,40,49,66 (Bush league)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Eagles fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Keys you may like to sticky this post & move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread if you have one.

"Do your own research"

That $ure take$ me back to 2020.

Typing "how can you research stuff on the internet without just reinforcing your own bias?" into Bard produces surprisingly good results.

Here are some tips on how to research stuff on the internet without just reinforcing your own bias:

• Identify your own biases. Everyone has biases, so it's important to be aware of them so that you can try to control for them in your research. You can use online tools like the Implicit Association Test to help you identify your biases.
  • Seek out diverse sources of information. Don't just rely on the same few websites or sources of information. Try to find a variety of perspectives on the topic you're researching. You can use search engines like Google Scholar to find academic papers on the topic, or you can use social media to find different perspectives from people around the world.
  • Be critical of the information you find. Don't just accept everything you read or see on the internet at face value. Be critical of the information you find and try to evaluate its credibility. You can do this by asking yourself questions like: Who is the author? What are their credentials? What is the purpose of the source? Is the information supported by evidence?
  • Be open to changing your mind. If you find new information that contradicts your existing beliefs, be open to the possibility that you may be wrong. It's important to be able to change your mind in the light of new evidence.
Here are some additional tips:

• Use fact-checking websites. There are a number of fact-checking websites that can help you to verify the accuracy of information you find online. Some popular fact-checking websites include PolitiFact, FactCheck.org, and Snopes.com.
  • Beware of confirmation bias. Confirmation bias is the tendency to seek out information that confirms our existing beliefs and to ignore information that contradicts them. It's important to be aware of confirmation bias and to try to avoid it in your research.
  • Be aware of the algorithms that power search engines. Search engine algorithms are designed to show you results that are relevant to your interests. However, this can also lead to the filter bubble effect, where you are only shown information that reinforces your existing beliefs. To avoid the filter bubble effect, try to use different search engines and to use incognito mode to prevent your search history from influencing the results you see.
It's also important to remember that the internet is a vast and ever-changing resource. There is always new information being added, and old information may become outdated. This is why it's important to continue to research topics of interest to you and to keep an open mind.

The AFL isn't just going to take him from us, the team would need to trade for him and seeing as they'll have a million top 20 picks over a 2 years period we'd do just fine.

He won't be a free agent free to be poached.

You're literally worrying about nothing. It's years away. Any player at any point could be targeted, heck we take Reid and maybe Tassie targets him with a massive deal.
I tend to agree with you. I think the point people are trying to make is that so much has been made of reid wanting to stay in Victoria but little media attention or public attention to the Tassie return home eventuality for some players already in the system.

In other words as confident as you might be that both kids will be loyal, their is an argument that neither is more or less likely to go home. It's the same as here Victoria, noone seemingly worried about Curtin as a flight risk!

In the end the three yr contract for first rounders was put in place to curb this a bit.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

FWIW, I don’t think the 3 year contracts for the top 20 picks will have much bearing on players being a flight risk. Players asking for a trade mid contract is already a thing. JHF was only at North for a year and Kelly asked for a trade (unsuccessfully) after a year also

What the 3 year contract does do is give the club some protection so the threat of the PSD is removed and they can refuse a trade if there’s no reasonable trade offer

If/when we draft Reid, clubs will come hard for him after 2 years knowing that if WCE haven’t extended him by then they may look at a trade whilst holding some leverage. Especially if there’s been no signs of improvement

FWIW, I don’t think the 3 year contracts for the top 20 picks will have much bearing on players being a flight risk. Players asking for a trade mid contract is already a thing. JHF was only at North for a year and Kelly asked for a trade (unsuccessfully) after a year also

What the 3 year contract does do is give the club some protection so the threat of the PSD is removed and they can refuse a trade if there’s no reasonable trade offer

If/when we draft Reid, clubs will come hard for him after 2 years knowing that if WCE haven’t extended him by then they may look at a trade whilst holding some leverage. Especially if there’s been no signs of improvement

If it's Reid all the Eagles can do is extend as soon as possible, if he shows the signs we hope next season upgrade and extend before the season ends.

It's an absolute given that the AFL will be pushing these top Tasmanian kids to join the new franchise.

There's the feel good factor and it will fast track the franchise success if they bring in high end talent ready to peak.

Whether McKercher wants to or not, the offer will be too good to refuse.
McKercher won't be a free agent when the Tasmanian team comes in so they will need to compensate us accordingly.

Unless the afl stitches us up and gives them compo picks for players like they did with GC and GWS .

If that is the case we can just try to contract him until after they enter the comp

I can also see first round draftees waiting 2 years before extending to see how things are going .

No more of these instant 2 year extensions

I can also see first round draftees waiting 2 years before extending to see how things are going .

No more of these instant 2 year extensions

Agreed

The CBA allows for incentives in the 3rd year so players that impact early, like Daicos, can be paid their worth

Player agents will be holding off until we’ll into the 2nd year before talking contract extensions to gauge interest from other clubs and maximising the pay for year 3 onwards in a new contract

Agreed on Curtin, he’s said that publicly too but he’s also said he’d love to stay in WA. The Tassie team stuff has ticked all the boxes including at state and federal government level, they are selling foundation memberships next year, it’s definitely happening. Spot on McKercher can’t wait to get out of there currently, but if you told him you’d pay him $2.5m a year to stay (if a team existed currently) then I reckon the answer changes. If in 2026/2027 we are still in the situation we are in now then sure, we get the #1 pick if McKercher’s career goes as projected. However I see us knocking on the door of the 8 at the very least at that point and if we end up with some bs like what the Hawks got for Buddy due to their success then I think that’s something that has to be considered.
So we’ve gone from not even been drafted to a $2.5m contract and an AFL captain!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reid is more of a flight risk than McKercher is. Reid has actually told Vic teams in interviews he prefers to stay in Victoria, McKercher is keen to leave Tasmania.

Yeah I agree. It annoys me greatly when people say we shouldn't draft Mckercher because he's a "flight risk" but at the same time they are happy to take Reid & downplay it.

If people are willing to wait until this afternoon I'm happy to organise the mock draft.

Thanks for offering CC but just put the thread up before seeing this post

Link here

Meant to do it last night but got sidetracked

I can’t possibly have a source for a decision that will be made in 2026/2027. I’ve posted this in a different thread but the AFL will offer McKercher whatever amount of money it takes outside the salary cap to head down to Tassie and skipper the team. He will go. I don’t care what he, his management or the AFL says now it will happen. It is FAR more likely Reid is a one club player than McKercher.

That's why I've said all the NM picks they were given were to draft the Tassie boys - not go after Reid.

Then it is a simple shift of NM down to Tassie.

If it's Reid all the Eagles can do is extend as soon as possible, if he shows the signs we hope next season upgrade and extend before the season ends.
God knows we're going to have a lot of cash to splash around. I wouldn't be against paying overs to secure a long term deal.

Similar to what Gold Coast did with Ben King.

Seek a two year extension but as a gesture of goodwill throw a bit extra his way for year 3 and then back end a good chunk to year 5.

Wonder when (if?) we'll hear from the club about Zane Trew's contract.

First list lodgement was apparently yesterday and there were all sorts of announcements from clubs about finalising their lists ahead of the draft. Was reported that Trew had been given a one-year rookie deal but nothing from the club on that yet. Surely this would be a pretty simple deal to tick off?

Would also be nice to hear about what's going to happen with our Cat Bs Tyrell Dewar and Jordyn Baker.

Especially with training starting again next week for 1st-4th year players

If people are willing to wait until this afternoon I'm happy to organise the mock draft.
bear-flying-kiss-funny-love-q4ut3r35q24zqquu.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back