Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

What if Caddy kicks 800 goals and wins us 3 flags? Horrible list management is what we've been doing and settling for the players available at our selection.

I'm not saying we should do it but I am saying we should consider it if we really like a particular player.
No problems being more aggressive to try and get the player we want.

Giving up a future 1st for a 3 pick upgrade 9 to 6 is madness given where our list is at, and how valuable that future 1st could be next year

If we did the swap with the swans, it puts us in Leake, Windsor, Hardeman territory.

I have no idea if that’s a good idea
Statistically going 2 for 1 in the 11- 20 range is the right move more often then not.

Doubly so if you don’t have room on your list to develop the player who falls due list structure.

Giving up a future 1st for a 3 pick upgrade 9 to 6 is madness given where our list is at, and how valuable that future 1st could be next year

Going 2 for 1 is a bet on the teams depth. If it allows you to get a player with a better chance to be a star or a better positional fit in the same tier of player (with a better chance they develop due to more opportunities) then I think you can justify it.

Now personally I’d be holding onto that pick as I’d rather have it as trade capital next offseason but if Sanders was available at pick 6/7 I would be very tempted to make that trade

Have mentioned this before but wonder if us taking one or both of Amin Naim &/or Mo Taha as Cat B rookies influences what we do with our national and rookie draft picks.

Naim a medium fwd, Taha a small midfielder, both showed reasonable improvement across the year. Taha the more advanced but Naim the higher upside. With two Cat B rookie spots available, Id hope we look at least one if we have an irishman or a former cricketer or even tall basketball to sign to this list as well

Have mentioned this before but wonder if us taking one or both of Amin Naim &/or Mo Taha as Cat B rookies influences what we do with our national and rookie draft picks.

Naim a medium fwd, Taha a small midfielder, both showed reasonable improvement across the year. Taha the more advanced but Naim the higher upside. With two Cat B rookie spots available, Id hope we look at least one if we have an irishman or a former cricketer or even tall basketball to sign to this list as well
Has to be considered, even if very minor wise. Id say the club is expecting to get Taha as CAT B which id be very happy with. A throw at the stumps.

Next years draft full of mids in the top 20 ect aswell

Thats why id consider going Osullivan over a Wilson as its very close call if it comes to those 2, and personally even Tholstrup as hes a big unit and more forward with the future small mids next year

Last edited:

Agree on paper it looks a little crazy, but I guess that's what it's going to cost to move.

Naim is no chance, Taha a slight chance just to reward the strongest player in the JHA every year.

Naim is no chance, Taha a slight chance just to reward the strongest player in the JHA every year.
Why would Naim be no chance? did finish in top 3 of the Cannons B&F and whist the rep footy didn't come, he has a solid body of work imho.

As Keystone agony said, a "free throw at the stumps"

I can see Taha being a small defender

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally don’t feel he is even VFL standard for next year, if he can’t even get a state combine invite id say a lot of clubs would be happy to pass on him
Id go into the "freebie" and "Cat B" discussion but assuming you're well aware of these.

I just feel we may as well utilise the Cat B list if it is empty, Taha the more deserving yet Naim the more need.

Why would Naim be no chance? did finish in top 3 of the Cannons B&F and whist the rep footy didn't come, he has a solid body of work imho.

As Keystone agony said, a "free throw at the stumps"

I can see Taha being a small defender
It's not a free throw at the stumps, it's a list spot that could be used for someone with more upside.

It's not a free throw at the stumps, it's a list spot that could be used for someone with more upside.
Yep.

For example, Will Parker is a very good chance at leaving Cricket if he doesn't lock down a spot for Victoria by Feb/March, by which time we can still sign Cat B's, right Lore?

The Cat B list is outside the normal rookie list. IT's set aside for these NGA kids undraftyed.

The only guys I can think of from a non Irish background we've tried were Crauford (spelling?), Johny Rayner a former distance runner and that's it. May as well have a free throw at a kid who has come through some sort of pathway.

The Cat B list is outside the normal rookie list. IT's set aside for these NGA kids undraftyed.

The only guys I can think of from a non Irish background we've tried were Crauford (spelling?), Johny Rayner a former distance runner and that's it. May as well have a free throw at a kid who has come through some sort of pathway.
There's still a range of players available who could take that spot. We should be selecting for the guys most likely to make it, not just because they spent some time in our academy.

Crauford wasn't Cat B.

His latest draft is the one on the last episode of gettable on afl site with Shifter Sheehan (Who i think he basically tells who to pick with his picks)

Fwiw he had us taking Windsor over Wilson and the elite 8 going in the top 8

Give me Wilson over Osullivan if Zac Reid is semi ok
Interested to know why you’d pass on O’Sullivan? He looks to me like the best outside of the most talked about kids in this draft.

There is a big IF on Zac Reid atm and the back half is where we need to sure up
We have plenty of mids that need time to develop, adding another one will only make that harder. That’s my opinion

Hird from soccer

Interested to know why you’d pass on O’Sullivan? He looks to me like the best outside of the most talked about kids in this draft.

There is a big IF on Zac Reid atm and the back half is where we need to sure up
We have plenty of mids that need time to develop, adding another one will only make that harder. That’s my opinion

Its close to a flip of the coin between Osullivan(COS) and Wilson for me

I think ive almost leant towards taking Osullivan now

We have placed alot of capital into the tall defenders or their elite in Ridleys case

Mckay
Reid
Cox
L.Hayes
Ridley (and hes an All Aus)

All those 5 will never play in the same backline together, thats before we even discuss Osullivan. So your basically setting one of these guys up for failure before bringing COS or trade for twisties considering their draft number.

Its a really 50/50 call, so much that some days and wake up and go Wilson and others i go Osullivan

I have a bit more trust in one of Cox/Reid working as long as theyre played down back from now on, compared to the rest of the cohort of fans here

Osullivan is certainly best available

Its close to a flip of the coin between Osullivan(COS) and Wilson for me

I think ive almost leant towards taking Osullivan now

We have placed alot of capital into the tall defenders or their elite in Ridleys case

Mckay
Reid
Cox
L.Hayes
Ridley (and hes an All Aus)

All those 5 will never play in the same backline together, thats before we even discuss Osullivan. So your basically setting one of these guys up for failure before bringing COS or trade for twisties considering their draft number.

Its a really 50/50 call, so much that some days and wake up and go Wilson and others i go Osullivan

I have a bit more trust in one of Cox/Reid working as long as theyre played down back from now on, compared to the rest of the cohort of fans here

Osullivan is certainly best available
Yeah fair call mate. It’s definitely a hard one on who we will take, I have no idea 😂

I do like Arie Schoenmaker. Haven’t seen him near the top end in draft ratings but looks like a very handy footballer. His left foot is elite

Yeah fair call mate. It’s definitely a hard one on who we will take, I have no idea 😂

I do like Arie Schoenmaker. Haven’t seen him near the top end in draft ratings but looks like a very handy footballer. His left foot is elite
I like Schoenmaker aswell

His position will be hard at AFL. His marking and kicking ability would be good to develop as a 2nd or 3rd tall defender

Not sure what his endurance is like for a wing, but his size would be important there. Basically a Mason Wood

I have Schoenmaker around low to mid 20s outside of the academy/FS and a few i havnt watched enough of

Remove this Banner Ad

Back