Autopsy Round 4, 2024 : Hawks get Pied

Remove this Banner Ad

First off. That was below the knees on the siren. Weddle from 60 would've been interesting

Now, onto the analysis.
That's the first half in seasons where the team started kicking to advantage (I know, broken record on this), and that turned the game. It's such a basic skill, yet very few do it (in fact, Carlton is probably the only team that does it these days), and kicking to advantage takes the opposition zone out of it

I stand by comment in the first half, it was 2004 level of disconnect. Hope the team can build on it

Hardwick should've been made captain. Only player I see instructing his teammates where to go etc. He kicked 4, but he actually got his teammates to clear the 50 so he had room to lead

Great second half. Need to find the answer to playing with that level of freedom and energy without waiting until we are several goals down.

Newk put the side on his back in the second half. Hopefully kick starts his season, and ours.

Newk, Meek, Hardwick, Ward, Moore, Amon all very good. A much better game from the coaching box too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It beggars belief why we can't play like that last quarter every game? The boys have it in their locker.

They need to bottle it up and find a way to channel that energy. Our pressure was frenetic in the last.

Because we are a young team. It will come but the fact we aren’t rolling over this year compared to last year is a massive plus. We may win less games but we are being better.

Last year we played the reigning premiers (Geelong) who were travelling poorly, and they hammered us early and then we turned our toes up.

This year is different. There’s more fight and willingness to get back into the contest.

We may not win as many games, but we will be competitive for longer in all of them.

That’s progress.

I was remembering that too. Now for some team bonding on the road in GC

Great fightback. Shouldn’t have let them get out to 6 goals.

Didn’t take the opportunities to win the game when they were there.

What a lesson in playing 4 quarters of good footy though. Had we done that we would have won.

Disappointing to lose that but can’t fault the effort.

Bring on next week! Go Hawks!

Showed great heart in the second half and could have pinched it. Just not quite clean enough when it counted. Loved Meek’s game. Newcombe starting to get back to his best. Amon influential. On the flip side not sure we are getting most out of Weddle in the backline. Croc needs a spell.

Great second half. Need to find the answer to playing with that level of freedom and energy without waiting until we are several goals down.

Newk put the side on his back in the second half. Hopefully kick starts his season, and ours.

Newk, Meek, Hardwick, Ward, Moore, Amon all very good. A much better game from the coaching box too.
We don't have the experience in the roles to weather the types of injuries we currently have, but with Day back I do genuinely feel it'll be night and day. We really miss him, much more than I thought we would.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back