Preview Rd 8 Geelong v Melbourne Sat May 4th 730pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gary Rohan time.

Tbh if the mc had me on it making decisions we probably wouldn't be winning many games
None of us here have all the knowledge.
We all have our favourites and theories.
Good thing is there's not one person making team selection decisions; as CS keeps saying, it's very collaborative

On The Couch- all over Geelong, and how Demons must sit on and squash Cameron and Miers. I hope Hawkins steps up this week, and other players can cover for Miers, if Melbourne has the personnel to do the squashing.

Hawkins is concerning for me. Goalless three weeks in a row? That would hardly have happened his whole career. I know we are still winning but if this keeps happening we may be faced with a similar scenario to Mooney/Hawkins with Hawkins/Neale at some stage.
Happened in 2019 and people wrote him off then too

Hawkins is concerning for me. Goalless three weeks in a row? That would hardly have happened his whole career. I know we are still winning but if this keeps happening we may be faced with a similar scenario to Mooney/Hawkins with Hawkins/Neale at some stage.
It certainly looks that way now.
Hawk was good in some goal setups and ruck contests; maybe he's a decoy now for Ollie Henry.

Kicked 4 in consecutive games prior, we are very quick to write the big fella off, been going for years which is mind boggling.

Stewart straight back in. Guthrie to move into midfield to replace Dangerfield, so it effectively makes Stewart take Cam's role from the weekend.

Rohan to return and cause havoc, creating a mismatch. I would say Dempsey could be rested simply for management purposes. He's had a lot of miles and minutes so far. Stengle, Close and Miers can all push up the ground.

Atkins into the starting line up as a contested pressure player, fresh from fewer minutes on the weekend. His efforts late in the game against Melbourne last year were legendary. Parfitt looked a bit jaded so maybe they can swap and he comes on as a sub.

Stanley plays better with at least a little continuity so I'd back him in against Gawn (with help from Blicavs) and then bring Conway in against Port.

In: Stewart Rohan
Out: Dangerfield Dempsey

FB: Stewart De Koning J.Henry
HB: Duncan Kolo Z.Guthrie
C: Holmes C.Guthrie Blicavs
HF: Stengle Cameron Miers
FF: O.Henry Hawkins Rohan
FOL: Stanley Bruhn Bowes
IC: Close Tuohy Atkins O'Connor Parfitt(sub)
I'm ok with that team except I would bring in Mitch Hardie for his first game. He's been really impressive in the VFL side this year. Parfitt or Atkins could get a rest. I think O'Connor stays in for his versatility even though he had a poor game against Carlton.

On The Couch- all over Geelong, and how Demons must sit on and squash Cameron and Miers. I hope Hawkins steps up this week, and other players can cover for Miers, if Melbourne has the personnel to do the squashing.
Cameron and Miers can run all day, good luck trying to stop them. I wouldn't be expecting Tomahawk to step up, he's struggling to have any impact at the moment and will have his hands full with May who is big and slow but much more mobile than Hawkins. Rohan could make a difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a feeling Rohan will be in and play well. Probably for Ollie Henry (rest or sub?)

Dempsey may be due for a rest but we would legitimately miss his run and marking target. He just always seemed to be in space. Maybe we could bring in knevitt or mullin?

Hopefully Guthrie is ready for midfield minutes this week. Loved him back, but there were a couple of times where he made defensive mistakes and I got the sense that he felt out of position.

Overblown.

Plays against two brilliant fullbacks, one of which he played as a decoy to occupy Weitering (we targeted him 4 times for the game)... And he should have had a goal when Henry burnt him in Q1.
Other game was in a monsoon where the other key forwards in the game kicked 0, 0, 0.

Zero chance Neale knocks him off his perch in 2024.

Overblown.

Plays against two brilliant fullbacks, one of which he played as a decoy to occupy Weitering (we targeted him 4 times for the game)... And he should have had a goal when Henry burnt him in Q1.
Other game was in a monsoon where the other key forwards in the game kicked 0, 0, 0.

Zero chance Neale knocks him off his perch in 2024.
So Hawkins job was to occupy Weitering. Well I don't think it worked. Weitering was one of Carlton's best on the day and the 4th highest rated player on the ground going on AFL Fantasy Points. He played on Hawkins and he played off him, roaming right up to Carlton's forward half. He had 19 disposals, 10 marks and 5 tackles. He even had a ping at goal at one stage.

Here is SEN's player rating:

Jacob Weitering: A

Dominated Tom Hawkins, looked composed for the most part and led the game in intercept possessions with 11.

Hawkins was given a rating of C-.

I think we will see a lot more of Neale as the year goes on.

So Hawkins job was to occupy Weitering. Well I don't think it worked. Weitering was one of Carlton's best on the day and the 4th highest rated player on the ground going on AFL Fantasy Points. He played on Hawkins and he played off him, roaming right up to Carlton's forward half. He had 19 disposals, 10 marks and 5 tackles. He even had a ping at goal at one stage.

Here is SEN's player rating:

Jacob Weitering: A

Dominated Tom Hawkins, looked composed for the most part and led the game in intercept possessions with 11.

Hawkins was given a rating of C-.

I think we will see a lot more of Neale as the year goes on.
... And Jezza kicked 5 and O.Henry kicked 3 as Weitering was occupied elsewhere. Ergo it worked.

Thx

Should be another interesting game-can’t see how the dees forward line can score against our backs. I like the idea of Rohan in, don’t know who comes out- someone will be carrying an injury and can use a week off. Cats to win.

The decoy argument worries me. If a player is in the team to be a decoy then he should not be in the team.
This, I agree with - and the same goes for the argument "He takes the opposition's biggest defender".

Well, yes, he does - and it's the same for any big bastard who we might pop in up front. It's the lowest hurdle to possibly vault, and it's vaulted simply by walking onto the field.

Can we just call a spade a spade? Hawkins has played six games this year, and had almost zero influence in four of them, being absolutely spanked by his direct opponent in three. This isn't some kind of four-dimensional chess decoy strategy; he is just getting beaten.

In: Conway, Stewart, Hardie, Rohan
Out: Stanley, Dangerfield, Parfitt, Dempsey (rest)

I get why you list these changes, but it’s hard to see CS making so many changes to a team that beat a Top 4 side so well.
I think Stanley stays and plays next week against Port.
Stewart gets another week rest against what is an average at best forward line.
Hardie for Danger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back