Half-backs:Alex CincottaJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Centreline:David CuninghamPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Matthew CottrellHarry McKayElijah Hollands
Forwards:Matthew OwiesCharlie CurnowTom De Koning
Followers:Marc PittonetSam WalshGeorge Hewett
Interchange:Jordan BoydAdam CerraCorey Durdin
Orazio FantasiaMatthew Kennedy
Emergencies:Jack CarrollOllie HollandsBrodie Kemp

Considering the coach was the most upset he's been over a loss and expressed as such vindicates a lot of what we've seen this year with our at times shaky team defense and inability to hit the scoreboard when given the opportunity.

We've given the team 22 years of an out. They finally got the lightbulb moment in the second half of 23 and now the expectations for themselves and us is a much higher standard that has been flirted with too often so far this season.
And I’m glad he’s our coach, coz I know he’s upset but he’ll do everything in his power to correct it and he won’t throw the toys out of the cot in round 7 like some of our supporters have been doing after 1 loss 💀💀..

Fantasia and Durdin haven't been great, but I think they've been better than Owies.
Owies made an impact as a sub against Freo 4 games ago, but has been down the last 3 weeks.
Fantasia and Cunner should come into the forwardline this week.
Fantasia has shown me nothing to suggest he will bring anything like his form of 2021 and before and I am not convinced that we will get anything more substantial out of him

Team play didn't help them. shallow entries a lot of the time and quite often slow ball movement in transition allowing a well drilled back six with assistance from their mids to often out number around the contest at the fall of the ball.

I don't mind slowing the game down at the right time but generating 4 or 5 kick mark kick marks to then either dump it forward or stuff the disposal on the last kick is just giving it back to the opposition.

The small forward crumbing works best closer to the big sticks where the backs can't adjust as quick but we rarely afforded them that opportunity.

Given our s**t kicking, shallow entries and slower transition, apart from the odd jag by the keys (who were virtually always out numbered going at the ball) it was on the half forwards and mids to generate scores.

I mean we scored 30 times from 66 entries, that tells you a fair bit about how we were delivering the ball into the F50.
Key change in how the games being played now is that teams are having elite small/half forwards delivering the ball inside 50 instead of their mids if they don't have the class needed, which ours don't...

Our mids are big bustling brutes around the ball but our smalls don't get involved to deliver the ball and get involved in chains.

Miers is a perfect example of the modern forward averaging 22 touches a game and is nearly always in their top runners. None of our smalls get near that sort of output aside from Fogarty on a rare occasion, hence why they have such little impact on games. Dempsey, Close, Stengle too... They work up and back and burn teams with their leg speed and elite endurace, as we saw on the weekend.

Imo this is a personnel issue, not a coaching issue. Smalls either have to lift massively or be replaced.

Key change in how the games being played now is that teams are having elite small/half forwards delivering the ball inside 50 instead of their mids if they don't have the class needed, which ours don't...

Our mids are big bustling brutes around the ball but our smalls don't get involved to deliver the ball and get involved in chains.

Miers is a perfect example of the modern forward averaging 22 touches a game and is nearly always in their top runners. None of our smalls get near that sort of output aside from Fogarty on a rare occasion, hence why they have such little impact on games. Dempsey, Close, Stengle too... They work up and back and burn teams with their leg speed and elite endurace, as we saw on the weekend.

Imo this is a personnel issue, not a coaching issue. Smalls either have to lift massively or be replaced.

To the Miers example I think that's our expectation of the likes of E Hollands, Jack Martin, Cotts and Cunners, generate a lot of inside 50's and pressure on the exits.

Agree Durds and Owies don't generate that sort of supply but if and when everyone is back from injury I'd suggest those two will or at least should make way for Mots, Martin and Fog.

If all were fit I could quite easily live with one genuine small in Mots.

I'm a big DC fan as he has qualities a lot of other players don't - breakway speed, one touch, can kick well off both feet.
But, surely he comes back through VFL? He hasn't played much footy.

In my earlier post, I floated bringing in Billy Wilson (if he has some composure) in place of Cowan. I totally forgot about Cinc who was mentioned in subsequent posts. I'd definitely bring into the side.
I still think Ashton Moir is worth considering to give us another avenue to goal too.

This year could go either way from here, for us. Either we gradually get our injured player's back over the next month, or so.

Then go on a winning run of games. Or, we continue to lose player's, almost on a weekly basis. And our season never really gets rolling.

Strongly believe that the first trajectory, will be the one we follow. We will probably never have our best 23 available. But if we have a blessed run with injuries from now until the last Saturday of September.

Then I believe, we will still go very, very close to winning the cup.

Very important player's to return are Cerra, McGov, Saad, Martin, Motts and Fog.
Role players who will make us better are Cuners and Marchy.

Should have Chez and Cuners back this week.

I would omit Ollie and Jack Carroll.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hasn't played in 5 weeks. Missed 3 games with suspension and then a bye and last week was an emergency and didn't play at any level.
Would've done a mountain of work given he's been fit all summer though. And have the luxury of playing on Curnow / McKay in the preseason.

Might not be match fit but seems evident that we're preparing players for game through training. Gone are the days where players would build fitness in the 2s.

When Saad and Gov return, I would push Boyd forward

Just imagine him kicking inside 50 and or having a shot inside the arc
Mm. Put that outstanding kick stat to good use?😄

The one thing to wary of is the Collingwood start. They've given both essendon and port starts the last 2 weeks before reeling them in. They'd have talked about that this week and will have the start as a major focus. We get through that and match them early, I honestly reckon we could run away with it.

I would play Cuningham, even as sub maybe. Brings a different dimension and more accountability at half forward. I can understand the changes that were made come prelim final last year but I think that not playing Cuningham (with the benefit of hindsight) was an error. As a result we gave Coleman too much space and allowed him to be unaccountable.

It was interesting that Cuningham got the job on Coleman in round 1 this year. Coleman had had 8 touches to Cuninghams 6 at half time when injured. D.C. does a fair bit more than simple stats say.

The one thing that Fantasia has done in game is look for best options.

Unfortunately it's also the ONLY thing he's done so far.

He (still) makes good decisions and uses the ball really well. Just need to figure out how to get him more involved.

Fun fact about Owies - he used to play basketball.

No way!

I would have thought that if one of the players in Carl vs Coll was a former basketballer the commentators would have told us that before...

:p :p :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back