Mega Thread The Random Thoughts Thread Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Straight Out Compton is much live The Rocky Horror Picture Show in that it's really enjoyable for the most part but by hell it got boring towards the end.

3 1/2 stars

I bought Straight Outta Compton on vinyl the day it was released in 1865 and I have followed the careers of Dre and Cube especially. I would like to see a directors cut of the fillum because it just got wound up too quickly at the end which is more than likely an editing (holy **** this fillum is too long) issue. They did all make peace with Easy E before he died but it didn't go down as smooth as was depicted. The stink with the FBI was bigger than portrayed as well. The "bitches and money" aspect was played up to much instead of the political and ego issues which tore them apart.

Amazing group of angry young men with a lot to say that had shitty management and advice.

They could've at least left in the parts where Dr. Dre was a skeezy woman beater. Either tell the whole story or don't bother IMO.

Gee whiz, Tarantino missed the ball completely with Death Proof.
It's an exploitation movie (grindhouse) so while not to his usual standard it probably was a good fit for the market it was trying to capture. There's a very good reason it went straight to DVD in the USA.

Gee whiz, Tarantino missed the ball completely with Death Proof.

The lowest point of Kurt Russell's career. And I've seen Overboard.

It's an exploitation movie (grindhouse) so while not to his usual standard it probably was a good fit for the market it was trying to capture. There's a very good reason it went straight to DVD in the USA.

But it isn't exploitive at all. There's no nudity and sex, and it is extremely light on violence and action, hence it missing the ball. On that measure, it is possibly the worst exploitation movie ever. It doesn't have a patch on the Ozploitation era of the 70s.

I don't get why people hate on Death Proof. I enjoyed it as a tandem with Planet Terror. (ie Grindhouse)

Never watched it on its own though.

Yeah I think it's pretty good.

Low on violence and action? You gotta be kidding me.

I don't get why people hate on Death Proof. I enjoyed it as a tandem with Planet Terror. (ie Grindhouse)

To me he was trying too hard to do something, but forgot what makes what he was trying to do great (ie, exploitation), and just filled a movie up that mostly consisted of Tarantino being himself and making everything dialogue heavy. It was just boring, really. It's no Mad Max or Turkey Shoot.

To me he was trying too hard to do something, but forgot what makes what he was trying to do great (ie, exploitation), and just filled a movie up that mostly consisted of Tarantino being himself and making everything dialogue heavy. It was just boring, really. It's no Mad Max or Turkey Shoot.

Have you watched the original Mad Max lately? It's dated really badly.

People like to romanticise old films but take away the nostalgia factor and a lot of them are s**t.

It's because he makes Russell out to be this evil bad ass and then he goes out like a little bitch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People like to romanticise old films but take away the nostalgia factor and a lot of them are s**t.

Lately? Not recent but within the last 2 years. Holds up well to me, and theres no nostalgia for me since I wasn't around at release and didn't see it initially til the teenage years.

The Man From Hong Kong, there's an undisputed classic.

It's not nostalgia, there has to be respect for trailblazing. Old films, particularly those that head in a new direction are never going to be as polished and that ALWAYS need to be allowed for.

It's not nostalgia, there has to be respect for trailblazing. Old films, particularly those that head in a new direction are never going to be as polished and that ALWAYS need to be allowed for.

No doubt about it, but some stuff just ages terribly to the point where it's almost unwatchable.

I tried to watch Vanishing Point recently. It's pretty considered a classic and mandatory viewing if you're into old car chase films. It was completely awful. Not even 'so bad it's good' territory.

Had a strange dream I was in a movie with Arnold Schwarzenegger. It was about cricket. He was playing a South African cricketer.

bloody Hansie Cronje... wasn't as good at betting as he thought:rolleyes:
MLX4oNB.gif

I said 'get to da choppa!'...he took a plane:eek:
giphy.gif

I do think the original Gone in 60 seconds isn't a lot of chop though. After the Nic Cage remake, going back to watch that was disappointing.

no, the original never pretended to be more than a B grade movie and delivers in spades ;) loved the yellow mustang

the new version basically has nothing to do with the old one IIRC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back