l

Looks like waterman to me.
The JD photos bring me flash backs from the GF:mad:
Waterman doesn't wear a cap and his thighs aren't anywhere near that big

I'm not 100% sure its Allen but it's not Waterman

l

Looks like waterman to me.
The JD photos bring me flash backs from the GF:mad:

Nah the GF he dropped it. That photo was a bloody good spoil from Schooey.

I kinda hope JD wins the norm smith this year to avenge his previous performances. At least he put himself in the position to s**t himself unlike many other passengers

Nah the GF he dropped it. That photo was a bloody good spoil from Schooey.

I kinda hope JD wins the norm smith this year to avenge his previous performances. At least he put himself in the position to s**t himself unlike many other passengers
I know it's different but it how he looks with his stupid face and arms out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Training today. Long session went for the best part of 3 hours with no specific fitness work - just skills, structures and match sim training. Broken down it went like this :

• Warmup - Stretches, light run throughs and 20m kick to kick to a stationary target at first then moving around
  • Set shot goal kicking - split into 4 groups kicking from about 35m out from a 45 degree or angle or thereabouts (one group in each pocket)
  • Work on fundamentals - collecting a ground ball in congestion and handballing off, working through a stoppage with handball, hitting targets by foot, hitting a forwardline contest to crumb in numbers and getting the ball to a teammate in best position to snap a goal etc
  • Handball game - working in a smaller area players in teams of around 10 had to work at getting the ball from a contest and handballing to work the ball forward against their opponent and attempt to handball through a pair of narrow makeshift goals
  • Skills - 2/3 length of ground drill they do regularly which starts with a player crumbing from a contested mark and then working the ball forward for someone to have a running shot at goal from just inside 50. It then comes back out from the goal square to a player taking running bounces and kicking to a contest where it starts again. One group each side of the oval with at least 2-3 balls in operation at a time in each group so they do plenty of running
  • Match sim (including 1st years) - players changed into jumpers instead of training shirts/singlets so they had numbers on which I thought would make it easier to identify players - seems some players forgot what number they are because only some had the right number. Was roughly 16 on 16 with players rotating off the sidelines
  • Line work - players split into forwards, mids and backs to work on structures. Forwards were in front of where I was sitting and worked on leading to create a vacuum for a teammate to lead into the space so they could mark and have a shot at goal from a better position than tight on the boundary where the original player was standing. Couldn't really see what the backs were doing at the other end of the ground and the mids were on the top oval so no chance of seeing what they were up to
  • Match sim (excluding 1st years) - 16 on 16 again with only 1 player spare as the first years weren't involved. Went for a good 20 minutes not quite at full match intensity but the players were still working pretty hard even if there wasn't the physicality of a proper game.
  • Basic drills in line groups - Split up into line groups again with the forwards working on different leading patterns and some random running including a couple of 100m sprints in pairs to finish off, the backs doing something else I wasn't watching and the mids running around like headless chooks with an occasional stoppage at a ruck contest.
  • At the end the players sat down in their groups and were addressed by Simmo who asked them to work out what their focus was on in the match sims and decide which player did that the best - something like that at least but I couldn't hear everything. He walked off for a couple of minutes then Cripps, Gaff and Butler spoke for their respective groups but they were all inaudible. I did catch a couple of umm aahs when Gaff spoke though (jks)

Vardy, Yeo, Duggan and Brophy only did the warm up then run the boundary on the opposite of the ground to where I was.
Lycett did the set shot goal kicking then did rehab work on his knee and a bit of running.
Venables did the skill work up until the 2/3 ground drill - it seems they want to limit his running
Apart from the 1st year players not being involved in everything to manage their workload and McInnes and Giles sneaking off to the top oval to play with each other briefly, everyone else participated fully so we have good numbers on the track. (Obviously there was no Nicnat or tunners either)

Things I noted in no particular order-

• There were 3 umpires down at training who got involved in some of the drills to call free kicks and to umpire the match sims as if it was a game. Naturally they made mistakes
  • Mitchell always seems to be talking. Doesn't shut up.
  • Sheed was very prominent in the match sims and Darling was marking well
  • As mentioned Mutimer copped a decent spray from simmo during the 1st match sim - took a mark outside 50 but was slow to move it on then kicked a high up and under towards the top of the goal square (which JD marked). Simmo yelled out something something something then "I never want to ******* see you do that again" or words to that affect.
  • Barrass needs to build his tank - when doing the sprints in pairs at the end he could barely muster a jog and was easily outpaced by his running partner (forget who it was). By contrast Mackenzie was running at good pace and outran JK. Surprisingly Gov kept up with Schofield.
  • Masten did ok in the match sim but a couple of times he was too slow to dish off and missed the first option as a result. Hickmott is very strong on moving the ball quickly so it will be interesting to see how this develops throughout the preseason and into the season proper - unless Masten starts thinking quicker he's going to be under serious pressure from Hickmott
  • He did lay a good tackle on Cole though that brought praise from Simmo - Cole had grounds to be annoyed at Mitchell for that though as he ran past for the handball well but Mitch handballed behind him a touch causing a fumble.
  • Hickmott seems very assured and confident as a coach - his instructions are clear and authorative. I'm pleased he's coaching our mids
  • Graham is less so - comes across as a bit wishy washy in comparison. Fortunately he has JK to helpout as it was clear in the forwardline drills that our forward 50 belongs to him and he's good at instructing the group on what they need to do as a unit. He gave Lamb a serve early in one of the drills when he went the wrong way thinking they were doing something else - "Are we switching?" from Lamb was met with a rather exasperated "No were creating a better shot for goal, listen to the ******* drill". Lamb did quite well after that.
  • We need our existing mids to improve because we didn't draft many in 2016 - it was noticeable when the players split into their lines that Watson, Gorter and Rotham went back whilst Bayok, Rioli and Waterman went forward and no one went with the mids because Venables isn't in full training
  • Waterman goes by the nickname Misty
  • It's entirely possible that we go into a game this year with Petrie and McInnes as our ruck division which is a sobering thought
  • The first years are on a steep learning curve - when doing the set shot goal kicking Willie missed his first couple prompting Simmo to ask him who was letting his team down. Later when doing the leading for space exercise Bayok and Rioli were both told to make sure they keep leading as just doing one wasn't job done, there had to be repeat leads
  • Gorters disposal in the match sim was neat although it was switch kicking in the back 50 rather than attacking kicks forward
  • There's an intriguing game of musical chairs in prospect for our 4 KPDs - Mackenzie is definitely putting pressure on the other 3
  • In the match sim Mitchell was regularly rotating to a half back flank
  • Karpany spent all his time with the mids
I spent most of the session with this guy flying about and sitting on my leg or shoulder - offered more intelligent analysis than Dark Sharks ever will

View attachment 328886

Appreciate all the training reports, Keys! What are your thoughts on Bayok from what you've seen of him so far? Do you think he'll play much senior footy (if any) for EP this season?

Appreciate all the training reports, Keys! What are your thoughts on Bayok from what you've seen of him so far? Do you think he'll play much senior footy (if any) for EP this season?
It's only been this year that he's joined I n full training as a first year so even now he's not 100% involved so I've not seen a lot of him (last year he was on limited minutes with the rehab group)

He's quick, has decent skills although his kicking lacks penetration and is still very much a work in progress with a lot to learn

I think given a healthy list he'll start in the reserves but I'm sure at some point during the season he'll get a crack in the seniors

For the moment he's been training with the forwards but that might be to keep him from the heavier workload the mids do

This year, only way to really know is wait till next week

Doubt it, knowing the club we won't find out until the coin toss in Round 1.

In all seriousness though I'd be stoked to see Shuey named captain, nothing against Hurn but Shuey bleeds blue and gold, not saying Hurn doesn't, but Boots shows it. He's not so introverted when it comes to confessing his love for the club.

#MakeWestCoastGreatAgain

Keys did you every see Hurn address the group? How did Redden look?
When they were sitting down at the end hurn did address the group. Couldn't hear what he was saying and by the time I thought to take a photo he stopped and sat back down

Redden is fit and moving well. Been solid in the track without being perfect. No excuses for him if he under performs this year again

When they were sitting down at the end hurn did address the group. Couldn't hear what he was saying and by the time I thought to take a photo he stopped and sat back down

Redden is fit and moving well. Been solid in the track without being perfect. No excuses for him if he under performs this year again
Thanks mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back