News OFFICIAL: Gary Ablett traded to Geelong

How many games will Ablett play for Geelong in his second stint

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sure, the whole "is it a good idea to recruit a certified superstar of the game who would objectively improve us?" thing may seem like an absolute no-brainer of a question, but what you guys aren't considering is the untold damage bringing Ablett to the club would do to the careers of the journeymen fringe players would be pushed out of our best 22 by GAJ's presence. You guys may not be sensitive to the hypothetical suffering of much-maligned list fillers, but more empathetic souls such as myself can already feel their pain and hear their anguished cries. If you're so heartless as to advocate for the return of Ablett in light of these facts, then so be it: let the damage to Jordan Murdoch or Josh Cowan's development be on your conscience forever. #Cowan4lyf :'(
As if you are serious...

Not at all, he has played like that before and still the Suns lose. At Geelong he would have to play a role within a game plan, not BE the game plan.
He's played in 2 premierships. I think that he might know how to play within a game plan. Put your personal feelings aside. This would be a great thing for the club.

He's played in 2 premierships. I think that he might know how to play within a game plan. Put your personal feelings aside. This would be a great thing for the club.
Nope, I've already acknowledged that his game changed after 2009 to be more possession-centric and hasn't shifted back since. I genuinely don't believe Ablett returning in an on-field capacity will benefit the club.

Wow, 125 pages on whether GAJ returns home. Well, he was hopeless tonight, only 45 touches, 9 tackles and a goal, lol. How old is he again?

I must admit, even though the GCFC actively still look for him, its like their game strategy is to link through him with every line of attack, like what they were doing when they were a really young team; having said that, he racks up an enormous amount of the pill, so I'm not trying to play GAJ down in anyway.

I reckon GAJ would take a serious pay cut for a year, just to get an extra flag. I reckon it would eat him, knowing that Stevie J, Jimmy, Kelly etc etc have an extra Premiership medallion. He is a competitive guy, and wants that medallion more than anything, and that will get him to the Cats regardless, he wont get one staying at the Suns. Whether we get a Permiership with him is another question.

I think He'll be back and the deal has been done.

$350k a year.
What its costs us I don't know.

That will be the interesting point to it all. I think fair and reasonable (added in with Geelongs ability ro cave in a little) might be our 2 second round picks for Gaz and their second (or our original 2nd and 3rd for their 3rd and we keep the Carlton pick).

We still stay in the second round, they get 2 second rounders to use as trade bait, picks or points for academy kids. Yes looks like we lose out when compared to the Hawks trades last year but still locks us into the draft around the same point as last year. I just can't see them giving him away for nothing, even at his age.

Wow, 125 pages on whether GAJ returns home. Well, he was hopeless tonight, only 45 touches, 9 tackles and a goal, lol. How old is he again?

I must admit, even though the GCFC actively still look for him, its like their game strategy is to link through him with every line of attack, like what they were doing when they were a really young team; having said that, he racks up an enormous amount of the pill, so I'm not trying to play GAJ down in anyway.

I reckon GAJ would take a serious pay cut for a year, just to get an extra flag. I reckon it would eat him, knowing that Stevie J, Jimmy, Kelly etc etc have an extra Premiership medallion. He is a competitive guy, and wants that medallion more than anything, and that will get him to the Cats regardless, he wont get one staying at the Suns. Whether we get a Permiership with him is another question.
What about says he will take a pay cut
He has never not seemed out coin

That will be the interesting point to it all. I think fair and reasonable (added in with Geelongs ability ro cave in a little) might be our 2 second round picks for Gaz and their second (or our original 2nd and 3rd for their 3rd and we keep the Carlton pick).

We still stay in the second round, they get 2 second rounders to use as trade bait, picks or points for academy kids. Yes looks like we lose out when compared to the Hawks trades last year but still locks us into the draft around the same point as last year. I just can't see them giving him away for nothing, even at his age.
That is a huge pay for a 33 year old

So just to clarify. If Ablett doesn't play well he's not trying. And if he does play well he's not adhering to the gameplan.

Somebody better tell rocket what the gameplan is because he was all over Ablett with praise last night and clearly hasn't got his own memo.

So just to clarify. If Ablett doesn't play well he's not trying. And if he does play well he's not adhering to the gameplan.

Somebody better tell rocket what the gameplan is because he was all over Ablett with praise last night and clearly hasn't got his own memo.
Rocket is a drowning man in a big turbulent river, Ablett's game represents a floating piece of debris. There is no memo, only life matters.

He is coming back to vic for family reasons not football reasons (even more so if the wife is expecting) and he will retire if they don't trade him so they are in no position to demand much.

As good a player as gaz is, at 33 i would be furious if we gave up any pick inside the first 2 rounds for him. Hopefully we are not that silly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope, I've already acknowledged that his game changed after 2009 to be more possession-centric and hasn't shifted back since. I genuinely don't believe Ablett returning in an on-field capacity will benefit the club.
You can acknowledge all you like. What you fail to acknowledge is the fact that he can make us better. We've been building our list to a point where it should be in it's sweet spot over the next 3 years or so and a player like GAJ can come in and make a difference. If it's on our terms then it's a no brainer. We need to be pragmatic about this which it seems as though the club is.

You can acknowledge all you like. What you fail to acknowledge is the fact that he can make us better. We've been building our list to a point where it should be in it's sweet spot over the next 3 years or so and a player like GAJ can come in and make a difference. If it's on our terms then it's a no brainer. We need to be pragmatic about this which it seems as though the club is.
he could make us better if he adhered to a game plan, but history has shown he's happier to "do his thing" and have a career that doesn't demand team success. And quite frankly it disturbs me that people are willing to throw Kolodjashnij away for 2 years of Ablett's declining years. It's like breaking up with someone, watching them swan around with a millionaire for the next 8-9 years then letting them back into your life when they're used up and about to hit menopause, but you want to have children and you basically just dumped a younger more fertile option. Geelong doesn't owe Ablett a send off on his own terms, if he is a fait accompli to return then he needs to be cheap and well behaved, no dissent against the bigger picture like in 2010.

He is coming back to vic for family reasons not football reasons (even more so if the wife is expecting) and he will retire if they don't trade him so they are in no position to demand much.

As good a player as gaz is, at 33 i would be furious if we gave up any pick inside the first 2 rounds for him. Hopefully we are not that silly.

I really have no firm handle on what the deal will be but mix like Rosso is suggesting is more likely than us getting GA to take huge pay cut and us getting him for R4 pick. I do not think it will be as clean as we trade our 2018 R2 for him for example , I think both sides will like blurred lines.
It wouldn't surprise me to see a player in the mix going back to them either , if GA comes here that one player who will be pushed aside for a year or two , and that player may think its best to move on. I could understand that as time doesn't stand still , miss your window and a Parfiit will pop up and go past you

Geelong continue to back themselves , and I'd think they would see a mix involving a P30 something for him as doable..considering we would expect to be better in 18 with him.

It's like breaking up with someone, watching them swan around with a millionaire for the next 8-9 years then letting them back into your life when they're used up and about to hit menopause, but you want to have children and you basically just dumped a younger more fertile option.
We don't want children. We want Premierships. And Gaz can help that end. That's all there is to it really.

he could make us better if he adhered to a game plan, but history has shown he's happier to "do his thing" and have a career that doesn't demand team success. And quite frankly it disturbs me that people are willing to throw Kolodjashnij away for 2 years of Ablett's declining years. It's like breaking up with someone, watching them swan around with a millionaire for the next 8-9 years then letting them back into your life when they're used up and about to hit menopause, but you want to have children and you basically just dumped a younger more fertile option. Geelong doesn't owe Ablett a send off on his own terms, if he is a fait accompli to return then he needs to be cheap and well behaved, no dissent against the bigger picture like in 2010.
Who is willing to throw away JK?

Nobody owes anybody anything. It's about being pragmatic.

If you didn't buy from the site, then what's your problem?

I ask anyone who did buy from the site, were you happy with your purchase, what it on time and of good quality?

The Abletts have a right to make money, like anyone else. Provided that nothing underhanded went on, and people received what they paid for, and refunds and money back-guarantees were offered and happened when someone was unhappy with their product, then they are not doing anything wrong.

If you got ripped off, then report the site to the police, and they might tell you the relevant authorities to deal with scammers. Considering that I don't remember reading anything in the paper about the Abletts being in trouble because of this site, then I don't see what your problem is.

It might have been better for the site not to have happened, if only because it is competing with Geelong's own online merchandise store, but I don't see anything ethically, morally or legally wrong with selling your stuff online for profit.

How was this deceitful or wrong? Or are you just jealous of Ablett for making more money, and showing more initiative than you?
Is this a troll post? If you can't see the problem with what the Abletts have done here, then I've got nothing!

Sure, the Abletts fattened their already fat wallet - in the process of doing so, however, they declared themselves morally bankrupt.

Back