USA or Australia: What country has the better sporting culture?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, one of the reasons I can't stick to an NBA team is player movements.

I was in love woth OKC when they made finals that year. They had Harden, Durant and Westbrook. But of course, they all moved on and now it's just Westbrook.

A few years later my dad went to Boston for work, and got me a Rondo guernsey. Of course, Rondo left the next year.

Finally I was like screw it I'll just go for an aussie. Loved watching Delevadova's efforts for Cleveland in last years playoffs. I'll go for Cleveland. He leaves the next year.

So now I've given up and will never support any NBA team and I'll only watch the finals.

A lot of Americans would not like players being bound to one team, because many view it as people being treated like property if they don't have a right to go to a new team.

Doesn't culture relate to the drinking, the atmosphere, the tribalism, the history etc?

Not sure why people are bringing up free agency, big money etc. Don't see how that relates to a sporting culture.

High school and College sports in the states is what needs to happen in Aus. Once you turn 12 unless you're at the top echelon of your sport theres not the greatest competitive means out there.

You'd have 4 divisions

WA/SA

NSQ/QLD

Big 4+Hawthorn

Battlers

wouldn't mind something like this to be honest

WA/SA and NSW/QLD sides have the "advantage" that they only have 3 rivals within their division instead of 4 like with the Vics, but that is off set by the fact they have to do more travelling...

however, sides 19 and 20 would already be dictated to fill those last spots... Perth 3 to the "South West" (WA/SA), Canberra to the "North East" (NSW/QLD, and now ACT).... Tassie still on the side lines

High school and College sports in the states is what needs to happen in Aus. Once you turn 12 unless you're at the top echelon of your sport theres not the greatest competitive means out there.
High school sport is pretty competitive at private schools. One of the better things about going to one actually.

There's still plenty of competition out there too even if you don't go to a private school. Rep basketball is very competitive right up until U20s, footy likewise if you go to a decent club and I'm assuming it's the same with soccer.

Does the US have a strong culture of local leagues, pie nights, etc etc?

I honestly don't know.

not for the home grown sports in the US, no

as mentioned already in this thread, many give up playing the game after high school as their standard doesn't match the semi-pro standards of the colleges they attend, unless they attend a smaller school.... most will give it up after college when playing professionally becomes out of reach and other commitments become part of their life like work/relationships/starting a family etc... a select few might still play semi-professionally, either for fun or still with aspirations to get into the pros, but you hardly ever hear about how these leagues and teams are traveling unless perhaps you are in a more regional area of the country

however, expat football codes in the States such as Aussie Rules, Gaelic, and Rugby Union still does the club culture quite well and becomes an instant social outlet for both expats as well as local Americans who are interested in trying something new

not for the home grown sports in the US, no

as mentioned already in this thread, many give up playing the game after high school as their standard doesn't match the semi-pro standards of the colleges they attend, unless they attend a smaller school.... most will give it up after college when playing professionally becomes out of reach and other commitments become part of their life like work/relationships/starting a family etc... a select few might still play semi-professionally, either for fun or still with aspirations to get into the pros, but you hardly ever hear about how these leagues and teams are traveling unless perhaps you are in a more regional area of the country

however, expat football codes in the States such as Aussie Rules, Gaelic, and Rugby Union still does do the club culture quite well and becomes an instant social outlet for both expats as well as local Americans who are interested in trying something new

Don't forget that Americans work longer hours and have less vacation, it's not just due to Americans being lazier.

Soccer has promotion and relegation, aligning teams with similarly powerful clubs. The VFL/AFL has deliberately cannibalised their competition (VFA/SANFL/WAFL) within the same code to benefit themselves. I would say that is pretty close to 'big fish eats little fish'.

At least the smaller clubs in soccer-playing nations can conceivably rub shoulders on the biggest stage.

Those are leagues not clubs. Few people can be bothered being an active fan of two teams in the same sport. And the VFA was ****ed well before the VFL went national.

Doesn't culture relate to the drinking, the atmosphere, the tribalism, the history etc?

Not sure why people are bringing up free agency, big money etc. Don't see how that relates to a sporting culture.
The way a sport is run directly influences the way you experience the sport as a fan or player i.e. integral part of sporting culture.

The culture of loyalty in Australia (and the AFL in general) is something I think is a positive. I follow the NBA where players change teams like they change undies, the whole super team thing makes it tough to follow. AFL teams are legitimate clubs and feel that way whilst American sports teams are very much franchises for the most part. If Robert Harvey played NBA he would have cracked the shits after '97 and joined North Melbourne, or gone to Freo for a couple of extra million.

The 'loyalty' in the AFL is overstated. Until recently, and even now much of the time, switching teams was a campaigner of a hassle if your club didn't want to get rid of you. And even if they did you wouldn't necessarily end up at the club you wanted.

Unlike US sport, AFL players' salaries are not disclosed. And their third-party party deals for flogging sportswear or a car dealership or Power Band or calling in to Triple M once a week are absolutely never disclosed. People go "Oh Robert Harvey and Matthew Pavlich were so loyal despite their crappy clubs." Yeah, if we saw their finances you might see how they summoned the 'loyalty'.

Nobody says a peep about 'loyalty' when heaps of players are delisted at the end of each season. It's only expected from nuffie fans if you're any good.

TLDR; AFL clubs and players are self-interested but they're good at pretending it's 1980.

Agreed. Apparently there is US lack the open age amateur leagues in the US.

The most ideal outcome would be club sports in primary school, then play for your school teams in high school, then the College system fro, while you are studying. And then from there, if you are good enough, you start professional sport at 21-22. If you don't make to that level, you've always got the amateur leagues to fall on to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

High school sport is pretty competitive at private schools. One of the better things about going to one actually.

There's still plenty of competition out there too even if you don't go to a private school. Rep basketball is very competitive right up until U20s, footy likewise if you go to a decent club and I'm assuming it's the same with soccer.
I went to an APS school. People would only ever go to see the footy 1sts. Anything outside of this could not compete in terms of crowd strength.

About who has the better sporting culture out of the USA and Australia?

It appeared the supposition was made that Aus and the US were battling it out for top spot.

If someone made a 'who's a better player, Federer or Nadal' thread and there was a legitimate case to be made for Djokovic being as good as both, I think it would be fair enough to introduce him into the discussion wouldn't it?

Agreed. Apparently there is US lack the open age amateur leagues in the US.

The most ideal outcome would be club sports in primary school, then play for your school teams in high school, then the College system fro, while you are studying. And then from there, if you are good enough, you start professional sport at 21-22. If you don't make to that level, you've always got the amateur leagues to fall on to.

I think this can be transcribed to those who arent necessarily sporting inclined too i.e those into the arts. But agree whole heartedly. An individual should play for their high school that then moves onto their university where it ensures an education is had while that individual enjoys their sporting background. For those who go on to do a trade or are not inclined to go to university this is where local sport makes a comeback while having 22-23 year old kids coming back to a local system that would have an educational backing and higher sporting skill set.

Unlike US sport, AFL players' salaries are not disclosed. And their third-party party deals for flogging sportswear or a car dealership or Power Band or calling in to Triple M once a week are absolutely never disclosed. People go "Oh Robert Harvey and Matthew Pavlich were so loyal despite their crappy clubs." Yeah, if we saw their finances you might see how they summoned the 'loyalty'.

Nobody says a peep about 'loyalty' when heaps of players are delisted at the end of each season. It's only expected from nuffie fans if you're any good.

TLDR; AFL clubs and players are self-interested but they're good at pretending it's 1980.
Disagree. Well documented that Harves was offered massive dollars at Freo when they came in and turned it down. Also played in a Saints team where Koschitzke was the highest paid player. No doubt star one club players are well compensated but you can't claim that's all that keeps them there.

Great Britain > Australia

both USA and Aus fail though for failing to produce any world class soccer players.
Christian Pulisic is looking like a future superstar.

America has a better sporting culture than us. High School and College sports are humongous in the States. They have 4 top-flight leagues that all get high ratings (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL) + the MLS which does ok. In recent times they've been much better at Olympic competition than us. The best boxers in history have all been American. UFC is big and only getting bigger.

And as someone else already mentioned, US sports are full of characters that bring entertainment and viewership to their respective games. Imagine if someone like Odell Beckham jnr was in the AFL - he'd get called a showboating w****r every week. Joe Daniher can't even roll his wrists after a goal without getting criticized.

They simply do it better than us in the States. Much more diversity of sports and leagues than in Australia.

Last edited:
Christian Pulisic is looking like a future superstar.

America has a better sporting culture than us. High School and College sports are humongous in the States. They have 4 top-flight leagues that all get high ratings (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL) + the MLS which does ok. In recent times they've been much better at Olympic competition than us. The best boxers in history have all been American. UFC is big and only getting bigger.

And as someone else already mentioned, US sports are full of characters that bring entertainment and viewership to their respective games. Imagine if someone like Odell Beckham jnr was in the AFL - he'd get called a showboating w****r every week. Joe Daniher can't even roll his wrists after a goal without getting criticized.

They simply do it better than us in the States. Much more diversity of sports and leagues than in Australia.
If we had 300-odd million people, would our sporting culture be better then?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back