Training Preseason 2018

Who is the recruit you are most looking forward to seeing at family day?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah no team is going to give away a top 5 pick for a 29/30 year like Ryer or Gray where you might only get 2 or 3 years out of them.

Some over inflation of picks here. If Wingard was on the open market and we had a top 3 pick, I’d take the known multiple AA player, with 7-10 years left, over speculation.
Wines talent is hardly speculative and Wingard would not want to leave Adelaide which significantly lowers his market value. Remember it's not past output or what we think of a player that's dictates what they are worth, it is purely whatever a club is willing to pay to get a player they need in the door.

We have a number of players that right now would easily net us a top 5 pick, god even the number 1 pick from teams. You just have to look at what Lachie Weller just got Freo.

Robbie Gray
Paddy Ryder
Charlie Dixon
Ollie Wines
Chad Wingard

Chad and Ollie you could be asking for 2 top 5 picks and teams would easily pay that. The others not so much due to their age, but easily worthy of 1 top 5 pick.
There is no way you would get to top 5 picks for Chad and Ollie... you can ask for them but you won't get them.

At the very least you would get a top 5 and another 1st rounder for both of them.
It'd depend on is there competition for them, or if they'd nominated a club. Look at what we paid for Dixon and Ryder. With a club nominated it was later first + second. Now if they'd said they were happy to go anywhere it would have gotten into top 10 territory. Wingard / Wines are younger (and without the injury history / possible suspension that Dixon and Ryder had over them respectively when traded), so you'd get a top 5 pick. And I'd say a 2nd round pick. We wouldn't get two top 5 picks. I think you'd only get a top 5 and another first if you sent a second the other way as part of it.

I wouldn't want either traded though, even if we got the picks.

I think Zac Milbank's world revolves a bit more slowly than most people's.

TOZzac1.jpg

There is no way you would get to top 5 picks for Chad and Ollie... you can ask for them but you won't get them.

It depends on a club's self-perception. For instance, if my Best-XXII lacks quality and experience, and my record of developping players is dubious, I would do it in a heartbeat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-12-20/powers-newlook-forward-line-taking-shape
PORT Adelaide fans got their first look at what promises to be a potent forward line, with Charlie Dixon and Jack Watts working in tandem at training on Wednesday morning. At an open session attended by about 1000 supporters at Alberton Oval, Dixon and Watts lined up alongside each other during match simulation. Dixon played deeper most of the time during the 20-minute drill, although there were occasions he pushed up with Watts dropping back into space. The Power are hoping the addition of Watts – acquired in a trade from Melbourne for the 31st overall pick in the 2017 NAB AFL Draft – will assist with their delivery into attack. Dixon, 27, is coming off a career-best season after booting 49 goals and averaging 6.5 marks a game. The pair also collided during an earlier contested ball drill with Watts keeping his feet after being on the end of a big bump from the 105kg Dixon................

PORT Adelaide fans got their first look at what promises to be a potent forward line, with Charlie Dixon and Jack Watts working in tandem at training on Wednesday morning. At an open session attended by about 1000 supporters at Alberton Oval, Dixon and Watts lined up alongside each other during match simulation. Dixon played deeper most of the time during the 20-minute drill, although there were occasions he pushed up with Watts dropping back into space. The Power are hoping the addition of Watts – acquired in a trade from Melbourne for the 31st overall pick in the 2017 NAB AFL Draft – will assist with their delivery into attack. Dixon, 27, is coming off a career-best season after booting 49 goals and averaging 6.5 marks a game. The pair also collided during an earlier contested ball drill with Watts keeping his feet after being on the end of a big bump from the 105kg Dixon................

Lots of guys on modified programs, hopefully in full training after Christmas. We know Gray and Rockliff will be.

Regarding SPP, I believe it's a calf complaint as he's been getting around in a compression bandage off-field for a while.

Broadbent's ankle must have been pretty serious. God knows why we continued to play him in the SANFL.

Hopefully whatever Ryder and Motlop have been carrying is all good after the break.

Just watched Nicks’ interview with Lee Gaskin on afl.com.au.

Coupled with the photos PowerPete has posted and the spattering of reports from supporters who go to training sessions, it seems to me that we have an unusually high percentage of senior players on modified programs so far. Given what was a pretty injury unaffected season, this surprises me. Hombsch, R Gray and Broadbent aside, other players like Pittard, Wines, DBJ, Ryder, Steven Motlop all appear to be on managed programs.

Is this just the different approach of individualised training regimens, or are we carrying a higher number of niggles at this time of year than we’d typically expect?

If I recall correctly, a feature of last year’s preseason was that a very high proportion of the squad was fit throughout December and January.

Back