s**t things your teachers did

Remove this Banner Ad

I was in the school church, in this case for religion class, I started speaking softly to my friend and my teacher came up and dragged me away. We walk a good 100 or so metres away and go around a corner which is hidden from people/classrooms and he slams me against the wall. He says to me that he's gonna ******* kill me and writes a note up for my parents.

I didn't really care much about it but it's hilarious the overreaction they have and in many cases, the reaction is worse than the initial act. I think I was about 14 at the time about 10ish years ago.

Primary school teacher checked my desktop search history because I had done nothing all lession, finds sex.com.au in my search history because I was edgelording to impress my mates. Gets parents and principal involved.

At the time it seemed warranted and I felt like my life was ending. Looking bad it was obvious I had NFI what I was doing, why even bother embarrassing me like that.

All of my teachers were great with the benefit of hindsight, and knowing how irritating I must have been.

The usual s**t, being blamed for stuff I didn't do. I was one that suggested things jokingly and then someone else would actually do it, and then blame me for coming up with the idea. (Wonder where I got that from)

We used to have teachers that smoked, in class. My sister's teacher smoker a pipe, which she hated. My Dad suggested one day that she take his tobacco tin and replace it with one filled with grass clippings. Which she promptly did and the bastard fell for it, lighting up a pipe full of it. That got a parent's visit with the teacher and principal, and Dad had to explain it was his idea. Nothing further was done about it but the teacher never stopped smoking his pipe in class.

Grade 6 at primary school, 1979. I walked home for lunch and returned to school about 15 minutes before the end of lunch where I sat on the steps outside of the library and was talking to a couple of girls from my class (the library was at the very end of a long building). As I was sitting there, the doors flew open and my teacher, without a word, walked up behind me, grabbed me by my hair and ears and dragged me backwards along the floor. When he got to my classroom, one of the other grade 6 teachers was standing there holding the door open. Upon reaching the door, my teacher picked me up and threw me from one side of the room to the other (he was a then VFL/AFL player) across desk tops.

Ah, those were the days.

you know what te next question is going to be?
at least give a clue

you know what te next question is going to be?
at least give a clue

His daughter is a national / international athlete in Australia's most popular sport for women. She doesn't play in any of the key attacking or defence posts. Her uncle also played for Geelong. She is married.

Walked in a classroom in year 10 and had a substitute teacher (we knew each other from previous experiences - she was a permanent teacher at school), and before I had even sat down she made me sit at the front of the room.

Another teacher yelled at me cos I was talking and singled me out for doing so even though the entire class was doing the same thing.

I had one grab me by the front of my shirt, push me a against the wall and threaten to "beat the s**t out of me"

Didn't a Brisbane or Carlton coach (maybe assistant coach) do this to a player a few years ago?

Most of my teachers were s**t. Jaded, wrong side of 40, going through the motions until retirement, focused on managing the chaos of the significant number of dickhead students in our school. It was far outer Perth/country WA so the passionate, younger, Mr Bergstorms were living and working somewhere else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ugly incident in Australian rules not forgotten

The World Today Archive - Friday, 20 April , 2001 00:00:00
Reporter: Luisa Saccotelli

COMPERE: One of the ugliest incidents ever to emerge from an ugly macho side of the game of Australian Rules football.

In a highly unorthodox training session it appears the Brisbane Bears' players formed a circle, put on boxing gloves and one by one purposely thrashed and pummelled a fellow player until he was bloodied and bruised.

The former Bears coach, Rob Walls, says he ordered the punch-up because one of his players, Shane Strempel, "needed to be taught a lesson". The bizarre training session only ended when another player said they should stop, or Strempel might be killed.

The incident which has only just come out in public, happened 10 years ago but as Luisa Saccotelli reports for The World Today, those involved have never forgotten it.

UNIDENTIFIED: We pulled the boxing gloves out and we made a big circle and we put Strempel in the middle of the circle and we let him go a round with one player and then dropped that player out and then we put another player in to go another round.

UNIDENTIFIED: What do you do? I mean you're 21 and your coach tells you to do something so you have to do it.

LUISA SACCOTELLI: Former Brisbane Bears' players recalling what happened at one particular training session with coach Robert Walls in 1991.

UNIDENTIFIED: You know, you really started to feel sorry for him. You thought maybe it was a little bit overdone.

UNIDENTIFIED: Just seeing everyone's face change. The longer it went on, the less people wanted to step in. They realised enough is enough.

LUISA SACCOTELLI: The person in charge was former Brisbane Bears' coach, Robert Walls. His former players recalled the incident as part of a re-enactment for an official AFL Players' Association video about past players' memories of the sport.

Former Brisbane Bears footballer Robert Dixon produced the video and was at the training session when Rob Walls decided Shane Strempel needed to be taught respect.

ROBERT DIXON: He sent us on a lap and we came back and there was a bunch of boxing gloves on the ground and so we were all thinking, you know well something's going on here and Rob had some really interesting training drills at the best of times, but this was something a bit different. And he picked eight of the biggest blokes that played, fortunately I wasn't very big so I didn't get picked, and sent Shane in the middle and said look, this is maybe the only way we're going to get some respect from you or the players and sent one at a time in for two minute rounds.

So, the first round was obviously an even fight because Shane was up to it and he was a big bloke himself and could box but by the time two and three came around it was tough for him to even hold his arms up so it became a battle from thereon in.

LUISA SACCOTELLI: So what state was he in by the end of it all?

ROBERT DIXON: He was pretty groggy. He had copped a bit of a pounding and he had blood coming from his nose. He had problems with his teeth. So it was a fairly severe sort of punishment, I suppose.

LUISA SACCOTELLI: It was a strange disciplinary attempt even by the standards of a decade ago, according to AFL Players' Association's CEO Rob Kerr. He said if it happened today the Bears would have breached their duty of care to Strempel and would be legally liable, at the very least for breach of contract.

Well, now the coach has turned commentator. These days Robert Walls is a Southern Cross radio broadcaster, using their airwaves to mount his defence.

ROBERT WALLS: You know, it was a controlled, safe situation. I was always near him. The players knew that they don't throw hay-makers or round-armers. It was boxing/sparring situation because they'd been taught that. He never got knocked over. He never got cut. They are heavy gloves that they wear and at the end of it he walked in with everyone else.

LUISA SACCOTELLI: Rob Walls on Melbourne Radio. But his former charge Robert Dixon says he's spoken to a lot of the players involved and they see it differently.

ROBERT DIXON: It was a fight and that wasn't unusual and sparring wasn't unusual, but this was a bit different given that it was survival for Shane at the time. He was defending himself.

LUISA SACCOTELLI: Well Robert Walls said that it was a highly controlled situation, it was only sparring, he was there the whole time to make sure that the player was safe. Is that how you remember it?

ROBERT DIXON: I mean it was controlled in as much that they were, he was there and it was controlled as much that we were in a circle and at any one stage it could have been called off.

LUISA SACCOTELLI: The players interviewed for the AFL Players Association video recall Brownlow medallist, Brad Hardy, intervening to call a stop to the boxing.

ROBERT DIXON: Brad Hardy, who was nearing one of the last guys to go in, basically said that's enough Rob, I think that means he's had enough, which stopped the whole incident.

LUISA SACCOTELLI: I think he said, "We'd better stop or we'll kill him". Is that accurate?

ROBERT DIXON: Well it's accurate to Michael McLean recounts the story in the video and that's how Madge heard it. I have a feeling that it was probably the last time in AFL football that you could get away with such a thing.

COMPERE: Former Brisbane Bears' player, Robert Dixon, with those memories he can't let go.

http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/stories/s280599.htm

Walked in a classroom in year 10 and had a substitute teacher (we knew each other from previous experiences - she was a permanent teacher at school), and before I had even sat down she made me sit at the front of the room.

That's just smart teaching. Every kid thinks they are hard done by when the teacher moves them away from their friends, but it's pretty rare for a teacher to walk in and go 'oh that Cruyff14, he's a great student - I'll move him to the front of the class'.

Teachers are ******* arseholes.

The only people who generally stand up for them are teachers themselves/children of teachers.

You have to be a bit of an a-hole to be a teacher. Nice teachers get chewed up and spat out. All the teachers who I've seen fail probation have been teachers who were unable to control classes because they were too soft.

You can lighten up once you have set your boundaries and expectations, but teachers who go in with the idea that they're going to be the nice teacher and have all the kids like them are doomed for failure.

Was always s**t to get kicked out of class. Was ok at the time if you did something funny to get kicked out, some good approval from the crowd and pissing off the teacher. When out there though you missed all the fun though. I missed our butterball science teacher falling on her arse in the science lab cause I was out, funniest thing all year, devastating.

You also ran the risk of running into your homeroom teacher when in the corridor, this happened during science a bit as we had him for maths afterwards most days. Would cop a dressing down even before the lesson had started!

You have to be a bit of an a-hole to be a teacher. Nice teachers get chewed up and spat out. All the teachers who I've seen fail probation have been teachers who were unable to control classes because they were too soft.

You can lighten up once you have set your boundaries and expectations, but teachers who go in with the idea that they're going to be the nice teacher and have all the kids like them are doomed for failure.

My year 12 maths teacher was a "nice teacher"

that was until you acted like a clown and he would go from nice bloke to nuclear within a second and lose his absolute s**t. I remember one instance he lost his s**t at the class (because people weren't listening, being overly disruptive), telling us we were the worst year 12 class he had ever taught and a bunch of absolute pussies. :p

Was a good teacher though in general.

In year 8 our very weird science teacher got us to wash our heatproof mats after we'd been sprinkling silver nitrate over the bunsen burner. By the end of our next class our hands had all gone black to various degrees. After lunch we were told that we shouldn't have mixed silver nitrate and water, we had contaminated the waterway and our teacher got fired. We had to eat with cutlery/not touch our food for a good week or so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back