Injury Dangerfield injury latest - Hamstring - updated 4pm 13/3/18

Remove this Banner Ad

Beat me to the punch to it! Very different cultures when it comes to respect to the elite level performers.
It's a really good point you raise. I live in a suburb which has many Indians- even all the streets in our pocket have Indian names. I frequent an Indian foodstore and might find out the background to this. I suspect Indians strongly value values, family, excellence and hard work, and whoever it is that achieves this is always respected

It's a really good point you raise. I live in a suburb which has many Indians- even all the streets in our pocket have Indian names. I frequent an Indian foodstore and might find out the background to this. I suspect Indians strongly value values, family, excellence and hard work, and whoever it is that achieves this is always respected

Is a very interesting point. Get back to me after the conversation as I would love to hear what they say!

Is a very great cultural respect they show, I admire it about the Indians and their attitudes and beliefs.

Maybe.

But it’s not controversial or untoward for media to want an update. He’s a star player in a top club. If he’s injured it’s definitely news. They’re entitled to ask what the situation is.
They can ask, but door stopping evert time someone steps out of their house? There is a limit IMO. Its not the wanting the update that's the issue rather the methodology used to obtain it. And not all media do it - but there are some..

GO Catters

Very true.

This is quite an exclusive Aussie thing too.

Americans ( I lived in America for a while) do not have this sort of attitude towards the best. In fact, they have a lot of respect for the best. India and other countries have even greater respect and truly look up to them.

Is a very negative Aussie cultural thing about being a collective rather than an individual.

There are pluses and minus to this cultural thing .. personally when people are looking "big headed" and get chomped down its a part of Australia culture that keeps it centred. ... I heard someone say in the US , if they see someone in a fancy car..lets say a Rolls.. and they say "wow well done" etc.. and here you get .."so you think your better than me".. and get a key down the side the car. But ..would Trump ever be elected here? Would we , could we allow an OJ situation.. Have a look at Hird .. and id say no.

but from my pov Danger is no big head ...just a different cat. People complain about the bland monotone scripted players media interface yet when they get something with a bit of a difference ..you can see why they act like that

True and good points.
Just very overbearing the way they do their stuff at times- recalling media following Carey around like flies on turds in USA, and chasing Ben Cousins etc etc.

At times yes. But they haven't done that with Dangerfield. And no matter what people think, it doesn't help when the player in question leaves the ground by himself while it's still in progress. If he'd waited until afterwards I doubt there would have been any issue at all.

People can’t handle that he is such a great football player for a top team and behaves like this.

Just pisses them off too much.

If it was an average footballer then nobody would really care and probably would enjoy it.

I hate it no matter how good the player and no matter who they play for. They're not standup comedians, and although it's no doubt hysterical to the playing group and his mates, I thought it was embarrassing and cringeworthy and made him look like a self-centred tosser.

Last edited:
Even our test cricketers who are only representing our country cop it shocking. Look at some of the opinions and attitudes towards Michael Clarke, David warner and a few others over the years. A lot of s**t talk.

Over in India Sachin Tendulkar is treated like literally a god everywhere he goes. All the test cricketers are treated with very high levels of respect and would never be abused.

That's because a lot of cricketers come across as arrogant and conceited knobs. Which they've provided a ton of evidence for too.

There are pluses and minus to this cultural thing .. personally when people are looking "big headed" and get chomped down its a part of Australia culture that keeps it centred. ... I heard someone say in the US , if they see someone in a fancy car..lets say a Rolls.. and they say "wow well done" etc.. and here you get .."so you think your better than me".. and get a key down the side the car. But ..would Trump ever be elected here? Would we , could we allow an OJ situation.. Have a look at Hird .. and id say no.

but from my pov Danger is no big head ...just a different cat. People complain about the bland monotone scripted players media interface yet when they get something with a bit of a difference ..you can see why they act like that

Yes, yes, and yes. Hird was allowed to get away with an awful lot before it caught up to him. And the overwhelming majority of Essendon supporters continued to support him blindly. Part of being human means being prone to tribalism, we're no more immune to it (just look at the stuff that gets posted in here) than anyone else.

Yes, yes, and yes. Hird was allowed to get away with an awful lot before it caught up to him. And the overwhelming majority of Essendon supporters continued to support him blindly. Part of being human means being prone to tribalism, we're no more immune to it (just look at the stuff that gets posted in here) than anyone else.
Dangerfields problem is that he 'works' in an industry that needs media coverage for its existence eg TV rights deal that pays their wages. So he is stuck with the reporters and cameras and questions and the more he plays at avoiding the harder they will go in trying to find him and potentially in not being nice about him or his injury.
He should just play the media game, retain some control over where and what is said and get on with getting the hammy right. Or alternatively the club could manage it for him. At the moment neither seems to be happening and he does look silly.
And really he is newsworthy, looks good. speaks well and is good a good role model for us and the game and for the 'kids'. That is the responsibility bit that comes with being an AFL player

I agree entirely with what you say.

I lived in America several years ago and can tell you from listening to the sports stars and coaches that it is a big cultural shock compared to sport here. American sports stars will openly declare themselves the best and talk up their abilities on live tv. Was quite a shock to hear at first.

Sports players or people who achieve success in general in Australia don’t need to act arrogant or talk anything up, most of them speak very modest when you hear them interviewed, yet the Aussie cultural way is to be envious of and bash down successful people and try to pull them back to the pack. We are probably the worst when it comes to tall poppy syndrome. But I say that without having lived in England to compare, as I know they can be that way too

The Donald trump one is interesting and a debate for another thread as it’s probably off topic too much, but a lot of that I feel goes back with their history as a nation and the current PC.

Dangerfield just seems a very big personality with a lot of energy, and loves to horse around. He is probably the exact same way in his personal life as his public life, he isn’t ashamed of it. It is nothing for anyone to criticise and be offended by.

Nobody would care or call it different if you saw some kids or college students making playful videos like that. They would just laugh it off and see the colour in it. When a successful high profile sports star does it, the cultural tall poppy syndrome kicks into overgear for many.

It’s a different story for identical situations, only difference is the one who is successful would cop criticism simply due to something completely non related to the actual video or antic

Dangerfield just seems a very big personality with a lot of energy, and loves to horse around. He is probably the exact same way in his personal life as his public life, he isn’t ashamed of it. It is nothing for anyone to criticise and be offended by.

Nobody would care or call it different if you saw some kids or college students making playful videos like that. They would just laugh it off and see the colour in it. When a successful high profile sports star does it, the cultural tall poppy syndrome kicks into overgear for many.

It’s a different story for identical situations, only difference is the one who is successful would cop criticism simply due to something completely non related to the actual video or antic

I think throwing back to the dreaded "tall poppy syndrome" is very lazy thinking and pretty inaccurate. If that was the case every single high profile sports star would be hated. They're not. Not even close.

For instance, why isn't Roger Federer despised? His profile and public image are in a far higher stratosphere than any footy player, but he's universally admired (Djokovic and Nadal not far behind). Probably because he isn't an egocentric, arrogant, ungrateful cretin, and despite being a great player, he's humble, polite, and respectful. He doesn't put himself above the sport either. So mysteriously enough, people like him.

Important to note, I don't think Dangerfield (or really any footy player) come even close to cricketers or tennis players. But some fans prefer sportspeople to let their sport do the talking. I'm one of them. He can say what he likes. But not everyone has to pretend that it's hilarious or witty. And it's not the "tall poppy syndrome" to not be a fan of it.

I think throwing back to the dreaded "tall poppy syndrome" is very lazy thinking and pretty inaccurate. If that was the case every single high profile sports star would be hated. They're not. Not even close.

For instance, why isn't Roger Federer despised? His profile and public image are in a far higher stratosphere than any footy player, but he's universally admired (Djokovic and Nadal not far behind). Probably because he isn't an egocentric, arrogant, ungrateful cretin, and despite being a great player, he's humble, polite, and respectful. He doesn't put himself above the sport either. So mysteriously enough, people like him.

Important to note, I don't think Dangerfield (or really any footy player) come even close to cricketers or tennis players. But some fans prefer sportspeople to let their sport do the talking. I'm one of them. He can say what he likes. But not everyone has to pretend that it's hilarious or witty. And it's not the "tall poppy syndrome" to not be a fan of it.

I’m not saying every single case is tall poppy syndrome, but aussies are very well known for it against people of success.

You keep calling all these acts as arrogant ego centric etc etc. but it isn’t really at all. Dangerfield isn’t talking himself up or saying anything arrogant or putting himself above anyone else. He is actually a very humble respectable person with vis opinions and views.

Unless I missed something he said, he is just having fun playing around. It might be or might not be your taste, but it isn’t arrogant or putting himself above anyone. If it isnt your taste and you don’t like it, then I respect that. But I don’t feel it’s arrogant or placing himself above anyone else or ego maniac.

Tennis seems to be a very different sport when it comes to passion and mannerism across the code.

Comparing the attitudes of cricket soccer and AFL in Australia is probably an accurate go, and just high profile media persons as well. They all get attacked by people to the high hills all the time. The top AFL players cop s**t left right and centre, have you ever listened to even some of the talk back shows?? Go have a regular trip even to the main AFL board from time to time for it in writing.

Like I said too, people who do the exact same thing on a small scale With their mates or locals just get treated as if they are having fun, an elite sports person or highly successful person in australia does the same thing, people want to kick them down for no difference than their status attached to it. Otherwise known as the tall poppy syndrome effect.

I’m not saying you are doing it, but I’m saying it’s very real and happens to Dangerfield and other top sport players in Australia

(Log in to remove this ad.)

federer isnt universally admirred. Im a hater. reminds me too much of a drunk cartoon butterfly, he always failed against Nadal and he has a personality that makes pete sampras look interesting.

Good work kingy!!!

Have you managed to get in touch with any of the medical team down there for a chat to get their diagnosis and thoughts??

Keen to see how you follow it with your contacts down there.

Unfortunately getting access to those guys (Docs Slimmon and Allen, and physio Mark Young) just doesn't happen.

They can ask, but door stopping evert time someone steps out of their house? There is a limit IMO. Its not the wanting the update that's the issue rather the methodology used to obtain it. And not all media do it - but there are some..

GO Catters
The counter argument would be if players and information was more readily available there wouldn’t be a need for doorstopping.

At times yes. But they haven't done that with Dangerfield. And no matter what people think, it doesn't help when the player in question leaves the ground by himself while it's still in progress. If he'd waited until afterwards I doubt there would have been any issue at all.
That was a club directive most likely given he was back at KP commencing rehab.

Who has said anyone needs to apologise?
Because the haters constantly try to bring down successful people instead of looking at their own insecurities...hence why you have to apologise and act modest about any personal/financial success otherwise you get attacked or labelled argorant

Like I said far too much hatred and envy for success in this country aka tall poppy syndrome.........in the example of keying a Rolls Royce would demonstrate why people have to apologise and act humble with their success

Last edited:
As an American, albeit a long time expat, the US is such a vast market that some of the nastier media can more easily be completely avoided. I have seen negativity toward some more extroverted or 'uppity' personalities. Look at the NFL's Marshawn Lynch not wanting to talk to the press. But it was far easier to tune that out. Australia's media market is beyond saturation so any effin possible angle or even non-angle gets played. I think Dangerfield, in addition to his playful personality, senses that if he is the one creating the silliness then the media won't tag him quite so hard. He's feeding them so they aren't so ravenous. He's can also be setting himself up for post-footy career in the media. Like Ling, we might not like the flavor, but he will succeed at it. Just my opinion.
As for the season, I don't mind PFD missing a match or two. They have to develop absolute faith in themselves and their non-superstar teammates. I do not want our team dominated by one, two, or even three players.

As an American, albeit a long time expat, the US is such a vast market that some of the nastier media can more easily be completely avoided. I have seen negativity toward some more extroverted or 'uppity' personalities. Look at the NFL's Marshawn Lynch not wanting to talk to the press. But it was far easier to tune that out. Australia's media market is beyond saturation so any effin possible angle or even non-angle gets played. I think Dangerfield, in addition to his playful personality, senses that if he is the one creating the silliness then the media won't tag him quite so hard. He's feeding them so they aren't so ravenous. He's can also be setting himself up for post-footy career in the media. Like Ling, we might not like the flavor, but he will succeed at it. Just my opinion.
As for the season, I don't mind PFD missing a match or two. They have to develop absolute faith in themselves and their non-superstar teammates. I do not want our team dominated by one, two, or even three players.

I think the game has moved away from that anyway. There is less reliance than ever on one player. We had Selwood miss four matches last year. We won three of them and drew the other one. Against good opposition too.

Unfortunately getting access to those guys (Docs Slimmon and Allen, and physio Mark Young) just doesn't happen.

Fair enough.

Are you expecting from your own reports that he is more or less likely to play at this stage? If you had to put a percentage estimation on it, what would be your go at the moment kingy?

Enjoying the participation on here your bringing!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back