Alistair Clarkson interview on SEN

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 29, 2008
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Apologies if this has already been raised but anyone interested in some JLT perspective, thoughts on JOM and Impeys impending stardom and other things like queries on our midfield depth, I highly recommend listening to Clarko on SEN the other day.

Do yourself a favour.

Mods - as always apologies if this needs to be shifted somwhere.

https://player.whooshkaa.com/player/episode/id/179352

Love the guy. We've had a massive period of glorious success, we are now in the early stages of a quieter re-building period. Moronic, short-sighted fans will whine incessantly about whatever they can think of during this period, but he will carry on, take the knocks on the chin regardless like water off a duck's back and move the team and the club forward towards its next era of flags.

Love the guy. We've had a massive period of glorious success, we are now in the early stages of a quieter re-building period. Moronic, short-sighted fans will whine incessantly about whatever they can think of during this period, but he will carry on, take the knocks on the chin regardless like water off a duck's back and move the team and the club forward towards its next era of flags.

Clarkson has nothing to prove anyone, and by rights he should have a statue erected outside the MCG in his honor.

However no one is free from being criticised, and fans are allowed to voice their concerns and opinions. This ain't mother Russia and the Putin regime.

I really liked how he puts the JLT in perspective. We ran with 22 vs Carl's 25-26. Both had different objectives that still correlated with trying to win - but the outcome of actually winning held more value for a team looking build something they hadn't built before.

Bodes well for us this year id say.

Clarko's view on Jaeger is spot on - focus on getting him out there every week and building that base of 20-22 games in a year.

Once he's done that, he's confident in his body and the club is confident, he can ramp up his output and get back to the level we saw at Gold Coast.

The club was probably hoping that 2017 was the year he built that base of ~20 games, but a hiccup with his knee happened and delayed the plan by half a year.

Hints of Jarman playing in the midfield - jeez he's a powerful unit and would knock some bodies around in the stoppages. Exciting prospect

Clarkson has nothing to prove anyone, and by rights he should have a statue erected outside the MCG in his honor.

However no one is free from being criticised, and fans are allowed to voice their concerns and opinions. This ain't mother Russia and the Putin regime.

Yep, would just be nice if every acerbic critique started with... "I know I have zero professional understanding and background in the sport, am just a fanatic, am only loosely acquainted with the workings and thinking of a coach but can guess as well as he can, so I'd like to voice this likely completely inaccurate analysis of why Clarko is wrong" - breath, "so it's like this....."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is one very insightful interview.
It's just crazy how Clarko hasn't won Coach of the Year.

It just needs to be renamed what it truly is - the 'AFL Coach of the Year Handicap'. The criteria was rigged against Clarko for our threepeat era because it favours clubs that dramatically improve their position on the ladder.

It just needs to be renamed what it truly is - the 'AFL Coach of the Year Handicap'. The criteria was rigged against Clarko for our threepeat era because it favours clubs that dramatically improve their position on the ladder.
Bigger crime than Burton and Rioli not winning Rising Star

Its actually a nice sore that Jeff should occasionally peel the band aide on when he is going all commando :D

I really liked how he puts the JLT in perspective. We ran with 22 vs Carl's 25-26. Both had different objectives that still correlated with trying to win - but the outcome of actually winning held more value for a team looking build something they hadn't built before.

Our #1 priority was to get the players adjusted to winning, so they played win at all costs. Our objective was to get players ready for round 1, so they had more game time to help them learn to handle playing exhausted, as happens when there's four points for the winner.

A couple of posters tried to make this point during the melting in the JLT aftermath.

They must be chuffed that Clarkson has confirmed that they planned to fatigue the players for a reason.

A couple of posters tried to make this point during the melting in the JLT aftermath.

They must be chuffed that Clarkson has confirmed that they planned to fatigue the players for a reason.

I made that point on both games, we deliberately held back players in JLT1 and went in with a regular season 22 in JLT2. I think Clarko stuck roughly to regular season rotation limits too.

Great little interview - thanks much.

Alot of good points already noted by other posters. Would add discussion of JOM was intriguing. Building game time for now (makes perfect sense), and still figuring out how he can contribute most to us (the more intriguing part!). Easy/obvious answer will be midfield. But with Clarko the "obvious" ain't always part of his plans.

Anyway, I am pumped for Round 1 - cautious but optimistic - and this interview was great.

Great little interview - thanks much.

Alot of good points already noted by other posters. Would add discussion of JOM was intriguing. Building game time for now (makes perfect sense), and still figuring out how he can contribute most to us (the more intriguing part!). Easy/obvious answer will be midfield. But with Clarko the "obvious" ain't always part of his plans.

Anyway, I am pumped for Round 1 - cautious but optimistic - and this interview was great.
Intimated that even Jaeger doesn't know what his limitations as a footballer will be now.

But after a full season of football they'll have a much clearer picture of what he will be capable of going forward.

That is one very insightful interview.
It's just crazy how Clarko hasn't won Coach of the Year.
And even worse the coaches that won instead when in each year you could strongly argue why Clarko should have won it. But as often said, it’s the premiership cups that count most.

Last edited:

sven_inc sory off topic but read your pm re supercoach promotion. Times running out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back