Free Agency Tom Lynch [moves to Richmond as a Restricted Free Agent]

Will Lynch stay at the Suns?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

yes but if he's after premierships there are many more attractive destinations than Hawthorn. It's not 2013 anymore

Them's fightin' words, boy!

Anyway Lake was 30 when he left the Bulldogs and past his peak. Was a very important player for Hawthorn but wasn't at his 2009/10 AA best, nor did he need to be in the role he was recruited to play. He was also under contract when he left. Not really relevant to Lynch who will only turn 26 after the 2018 season has finished. If Lynch wants to leave to play in Melbourne and/or because he thinks Gold Coast are going nowhere that is his prerogative, but at his age (and the same applies to McGovern, Gaff etc.) he has plenty of time left in the game.

I'm sure I had this argument ad nauseum last year regarding Kelly too, and he ended up staying. Why were there constant articles about his situation in the paper?

Media speculation simply doesn't mean that he won't stay
Was there articles in last years paper about the massive deal the Giants would table? No.

You hope.

hope has nothing to do with it. Most rational assessments made by anyone who isn't a Hawthorn supporter would say there are many much more likely clubs to win premierships than Hawthorn.

Was there articles in last years paper about the massive deal the Giants would table? No.

I just don't buy into there being some kind of code in what the newspapers do or don't write about. They try to sell papers, so they print stories people will read.

I find it hard to understand how apparently leaked stories would make any difference on the situation whatsoever. Lynch knows what he's being offered. So what do the sources leaking it hope to achieve?

Seems far more likely that the Suns are indeed offering him big money to stay, which as a critical player for them is precisely what you'd expect them to do, and that's being duly reported. In no way does that imply that he's out the door any more than any of the speculation around Kelly's situation implied it either. It's media selling papers is all.

The idea that there is some kind of coded message in all this strikes me as something for club supporters to grasp on to convince themselves they are getting Tom Lynch. Maybe they will, maybe they won't, but reports of the Suns offers don't have any relevance

hope has nothing to do with it. Most rational assessments made by anyone who isn't a Hawthorn supporter would say there are many much more likely clubs to win premierships than Hawthorn.
And you still hope that's the case.

I just don't buy into there being some kind of code in what the newspapers do or don't write about. They try to sell papers, so they print stories people will read.

I find it hard to understand how apparently leaked stories would make any difference on the situation whatsoever. Lynch knows what he's being offered. So what do the sources leaking it hope to achieve?

Seems far more likely that the Suns are indeed offering him big money to stay, which as a critical player for them is precisely what you'd expect them to do, and that's being duly reported. In no way does that imply that he's out the door any more than any of the speculation around Kelly's situation implied it either. It's media selling papers is all.

The idea that there is some kind of coded message in all this strikes me as something for club supporters to grasp on to convince themselves they are getting Tom Lynch. Maybe they will, maybe they won't, but reports of the Suns offers don't have any relevance
They achieve two things, just off the top of my head.
1. They tell the rest of the comp that they're not just going to take this laying down, and that they'll be pushing up his price too.
2. They tell their membership that they're looking at avenues to change Lynch's mind and have him re-open discussion.

And you still hope that's the case.

if you say so. It's true that I don't much like Hawthorn so probably, yeah

They achieve two things, just off the top of my head.
1. They tell the rest of the comp that they're not just going to take this laying down, and that they'll be pushing up his price too.
2. They tell their membership that they're looking at avenues to change Lynch's mind and have him re-open discussion.

yeah that's fair enough, they could be fortifying the membership base as do all clubs. But that still doesn't mean there's any implication whatsoever as to who is or isn't in the box seat, does it?

Lynch looked REALLY uncomfortable when he spoke to the media at Captains Day. If he ends up leaving the Suns for a massive deal with a Victorian club then he's going to be VERY awkward and uncomfortable for the next five years at least.
It’d be even more awkward for him if he was to sign in and waste another 5 years at that tip they call an AFL club.

Lynch looked REALLY uncomfortable when he spoke to the media at Captains Day. If he ends up leaving the Suns for a massive deal with a Victorian club then he's going to be VERY awkward and uncomfortable for the next five years at least.
Not unusual - Lynch is never confident in that situation (unlike May - which is why we should have a singular Captain). Lynch is the type that plays not talks ..
Hopefully his early season form helps the Suns and helps make the decision for him...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’d be even more awkward for him if he was to sign in and waste another 5 years at that tip they call an AFL club.
Thinking your mob will be down in that area yourself this year. Can't see him going to a club that has less upside than his own (forgetting the money - which we can produce more of ) How many top 10 draft picks on your list in recent years.....

Every man and his dog knows Lynch put contract talks on hold. This isn't some Melbourne media conspiracy.
Maybe he just wants to lead his football team .. knowing the contract is sorted..? Maybe you guys just stew in your delusional s**t.
We don't get Melbourne papers up here....

So how is this going to play out?

Lynch is going to get offers of $1.5 million a year from Victorian clubs and GC will likely match those offers. Let's say $9 million over six years? Does that mean he eventually leaves by trade, if he elects to leave?

And the AFL chips in an extra 300k a year as a PDL bonus (Please Don't Leave)?

So how is this going to play out?

Lynch is going to get offers of $1.5 million a year from Victorian clubs and GC will likely match those offers. Let's say $9 million over six years? Does that mean he eventually leaves by trade, if he elects to leave?

And the AFL chips in an extra 300k a year as a PDL bonus (Please Don't Leave)?
He stays... no doubt.
Money's not a problem - Suns can match any offer.
He's a club Captain of a team that has a future - and has a new Coach that actually cares...

We've finished on the cusp on the finals in the past five years. Tom Lynch might have pushed us into the finals in those years.
But you are still going backwards. 11,12,12,13 in the past 4 years. Has Bucks shown any inclination of turning that around this year.

What? No he will be rich and close to family and friends.

You think Rockcliff feels awkward and uncomfortable. Lynch will make his decision and be fine with it.

Maybe he just wants to lead his football team .. knowing the contract is sorted..? Maybe you guys just stew in your delusional s**t.
We don't get Melbourne papers up here....
Theres only one deluded guy here, and its the one who thinks he's put contract talks on hold for no real reason.

What? No he will be rich and close to family and friends.

You think Rockcliff feels awkward and uncomfortable. Lynch will make his decision and be fine with it.
I don't think you know enough about the situation to confidently claim that. His best friend has lived on the Gold Coast for many years playing local QAFL/NEAFL footy and has signed on again for 2018, his girlfriend just moved back to the Gold Coast (from Melbourne) where her family is based, he is already getting paid close to a million a season and will make more staying with the Suns than he will if he signs with a Victorian club. Also, the media commitments are far less if he stays with the Suns, which would appeal to an introvert like him.

There are lots of reasons as to why he would stay.

Back