Roast Our fitness department - highly offensive/offended

Remove this Banner Ad

Burton’s ‘offended’ comment is actually quite insulting - real head up your arse type stuff.
His excuse of "Oh, they were good to go, but then got hurt in training and I can't control that" might be believable if it happened once or twice. But we've had it happen to Sloane, Walker and Knight (twice) in the last 3 weeks, as well as "He could play, but with a 6 day turnaround we decided it was best to not risk him and he should be back next week" injuries to Gibson and Keath that lasted for 8 weeks each.

I'm hoping we send our guys in rehab to other clubs, they might get better.

Any info on this new program Kanga? If that’s what it’s called. When did we start using it?

Guys these kinds of posts (and the ones this post relies to) are getting to hysteria levels.

Lots of clubs get lots of injuries and try to deal with them in different ways.

Now to be clear, im not defending hass or Burton but inventing club issues when there are none (or at least we don't lnow there is with any certainty) is exactly what the Journos we hate most do.

It just makes us look childish and the club far less likely to ever want to engage with the community.
I'm sure the club is doing everything it can to work this out. We obviously pushed too far and broke the machine!!

I'm not that impressed with some of the comments out of the club over this though, it feels completely amateur.

Pyke comes out and says the injury wheel is turning only for us to lose our captain, best forward, best midfielder, and a guy that never misses in Brown.
Burton with his "offensive" reactive bulldust.
The comments that we have found the problem made some changes and it's under control.

I maintain it will bring the group together if we can get through it without our season being devastated in the meantime.

What's hilarious is on social media some fans who clearly weren't watching hard claiming we had a good run last year due to "29 players":rolleyes:.

It's these sycophants that enable the club to keep incompetent people like Burton/Hass around.

It's not just on social media, it's here on bigfooty.

Guys these kinds of posts (and the ones this post relies to) are getting to hysteria levels.

Lots of clubs get lots of injuries and try to deal with them in different ways.

Now to be clear, im not defending hass or Burton but inventing club issues when there are none (or at least we don't lnow there is with any certainty) is exactly what the Journos we hate most do.

It just makes us look childish and the club far less likely to ever want to engage with the community.

How is it hysteria levels?

How would you feel if you were a player, injured during a game due to an idiotic training program and then when you go to start treating it immediately (ice to reduce the damage as much as possible), you are told not to ice it because it'll look bad. You'd be furious.

As for your requirement of knowing with 'certainty': we don't know anything with certainty because the club seems it as appropriate to look down on fans and give condescending non-answers rather than genuinely engaging with the people that are the core of their business.

How is it hysteria levels?

How would you feel if you were a player, injured during a game due to an idiotic training program and then when you go to start treating it immediately (ice to reduce the damage as much as possible), you are told not to ice it because it'll look bad. You'd be furious.

As for your requirement of knowing with 'certainty': we don't know anything with certainty because the club seems it as appropriate to look down on fans and give condescending non-answers rather than genuinely engaging with the people that are the core of their business.
Do you any direct information that can confirm that this is what actually happened?

The problem with this is that it does represent a massive change in structure. Noble was never in charge of our fitness program as GM Footy Ops.

Burton did a fitness course and then got the job at Brisbane, largely on the back of his reputation gained whilst being player rep on the AFLPA. He was considered smart and, together with his newly gained qualifications, got the nod. In between playing and Brisbane, he had his own business which he shut down pretty quickly.

His results at Brisbane were poor and reports were the club lost faith pretty quickly. Then he gets appointed at Adelaide. A year later he's the GM Footy Ops and also apparently in charge of high performance program.

Does this sound like the CV and experience of best available? When questioned about it, Fages response was essentially "do you think we'd appoint him if we didn't think he was the best available?"

None of this fills me with confidence. It's ironic that they ditched Poulos, who is now lecturing about performance management systems at an international conference, and then hired a guy who developed a performance management system, tried with mixed results at one other AFL club.

Did the guy with the thin CV fire the tried and tested guy with obvious cred, only to employ the services of a business run by another guy for the same purpose who had a mixed background and was unknown to the club?

This is turning into a mess.
For some reason I'd always thought that Burton had done a sports science degree, along the same lines as Neil Craig, when he was still playing?

Do you any direct information that can confirm that this is what actually happened?

Of course not, because as I said in my last paragraph.. the club is all about smoke and mirrors and coverups.

Do I have any direct information to show Trump colluded with Russia? No, but any sane person knows he did.

Unfortunately I can't launch an investigation to get to the bottom of the Crows bullshit like in my latter example.

Of course not, because as I said in my last paragraph.. the club is all about smoke and mirrors and coverups.

Do I have any direct information to show Trump colluded with Russia? No, but any sane person knows he did.

Unfortunately I can't launch an investigation to get to the bottom of the Crows bullshit like in my latter example.
#fakenews

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For some reason I'd always thought that Burton had done a sports science degree, along the same lines as Neil Craig, when he was still playing?
Yeah he did. The difference is Neil had 10+ years applied knowledge at the Olympic level.

I'm sure the club is doing everything it can to work this out. We obviously pushed too far and broke the machine!!

I'm not that impressed with some of the comments out of the club over this though, it feels completely amateur.

Pyke comes out and says the injury wheel is turning only for us to lose our captain, best forward, best midfielder, and a guy that never misses in Brown.
Burton with his "offensive" reactive bulldust.
The comments that we have found the problem made some changes and it's under control.

I maintain it will bring the group together if we can get through it without our season being devastated in the meantime.

I’ve got this feeling Brown has had troubles with groin area if not last finals the one before that. Maybe they’re starting to manage the injuries this year and play the depth. In years past these guys were probably playing through injury, only to fade out when it mattered. A hammy is a hammy but some of the tendon soreness may have been played through in the past Burton said these tendons don’t necessarily respond to rest, but they’re resting them now. That’s a little confusing.
It feels like they’re winging it. I mentioned this recently it feels like lots of (so called) professionals are winging it to me. How else can you ask the same question to 2 people and get a different answer.

Burton’s ‘offended’ comment is actually quite insulting - real head up your arse type stuff.
Poor didums got his feelings hurt. What a soft campaigner.

I hope the media continues to relentlessly bash the club over this issue until it's fixed.
All I can say is thank * for the Vic footy media. They are the only ones holding us accountable. The SA footy media is merely an extension of the Crows PR department.

Ok Jenny.
OK - let’s be clear from the start, labelling me with a woman’s name and a woman who divides opinion on this board is both juvenile and disingenuous.

Your continual assertion with no evidence that the club refused to treat players with ice during the course of a game is #fakenews. It is also repititous and boring. The fact I can see no one else jumping on your bandwagon indicates that people here is disagree with you or have no investment in commenting 1 way or the other.

He did a TAFE course here while he was playing

In Roos defence this one time; I hear he's the only one lambasting Burton behind closed doors and actually trying to do something about it.
Might have something to do with his recommendation of Burton and how it makes him look??

Burton is focussing on talking about injury management, he won’t go near a conversation about how the injuries occurred in the first place.

Last night he was all about how the management of these injuries is not an exact science - especially with tendon injuries which don’t really respond to rest - you get unexpected flare-ups, blokes feeling fine one day and then being sore as hell the next with a change in their training load.

I have no doubt that it would be a nightmare to manage. The club has so many players in the soft tissue risk category right now that every training session is a potential minefield.

We know that, Birdman. What we wanna know is how we got there? Who and what is responsible?

The answer threatens to be really ugly.

2004 - 2011 Charlie Walsh era: One hamstring injury.

One.

And we were the fittest team by far during the Craig/Charlie Walsh era.

Unfortunately, Burton is stubborn and lacks self-awareness = disaster. Inside word is it is his guidance that has ****** this entire thing up. Last year we had was it 3 hammies? Which was statistically significant. Sure Hass has taken it to the next level (under Burtons guidance) and there is no doubt that the yes-man Hass will take the fall... but remember he is saying yes to someone. Someone who already has a track record for shitty injury governance.

One in 7 years.
vs
5 Billion in 2 years.
It's funny that Walsh and Craig got bagged so much then???

At one stage people were blaming cycling for "shortening the hamstrings" and leading to nore injuries. Zillions of posts around like this from that time about how the fitness coaches had ruined our team.:

8 years ago said:
We either totally lack leg speed or our preseason training flattened our blokes beyond belief. I've said it before we need to seriously look out our fitness staff especially Charlie Walsh, FFS are we training for AFL or the "Tour De France".....

Though I'll likely get howled down by the AFC supporters that are in love with Neil Craig I'm afraid I'm seeing too many similarities with our players to Richmond under Terry Wallace. I honestly believe our players have no confidence in our gameplan and thus the coaching staff. The buck stops with Craig, end of story.

Hold people accountable, but be wary of thinking the grass is always greener...

It's funny that Walsh and Craig got bagged so much then???

At one stage people were blaming cycling for "shortening the hamstrings" and leading to nore injuries. Zillions of posts around like this from that time about how the fitness coaches had ruined our team.:

Hold people accountable, but be wary of thinking the grass is always greener...
Worth noting that was before interchange caps... and there have been a few other clubs that have had similar issues with hammys, but importantly not ALL

Worth noting that was before interchange caps... and there have been a few other clubs that have had similar issues with hammys, but importantly not ALL
Really good point

All I can say is thank **** for the Vic footy media. They are the only ones holding us accountable. The SA footy media is merely an extension of the AFL PR department.
EFA

The media here is scared of criticising either club. As much as Rucci annoyed us he at least raised issues. Even in his own biased way. Now where is he? Titus seems to be the only person getting traction and he is using satire and cutting humour rather than analysis and opinion.

There is something to be said for open honest unbiased coverage of both clubs, not hand fed PR sheets or 'jobs at the club' for someone as an extension of their media work.

Once again both clubs here suffer and allow this

Remove this Banner Ad

Back