Richmond's struggle with interstate games

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah if this hypothetical GF occurs before renovation works on ANZ stadium to make it rectangular begin next year
https://www.news.com.au/sport/more-...d/news-story/d50c8691424041c0520ddf61a4340602
There are a number of reasons to take the schedule with a grain of salt. NSW treasury has publicly said the funding model isn't compliant with Government policy. That's really surprising for a key government department to tlcone out anti a government announcement. It couldn't happen without deep divisions in the government, that's the realpolitik.
I wouldn't assume anything at this stage.

I wouldn't favour a GF at ANZ though anyway. The MCG is the right place for me. If it is to move it would get more appropriate treatment as the pinnacle of the game at Optus Oval or Adelaide Oval.

I am content to lose every interstate game... Because all that is remember is who won the flag that year..

does anyone even remember how many interstate games the dogs won in 2016?? no... because they wont the flag and that is all that matters..

Cant say ive ever heard a peep from the clubs. Only place their seem to be noise is the salt mine at Big Footy. Clubs know and accept it as being at the country's premier Venue. Channel 7 would want it at the MCG for ever if they had the opportunity.
C'mon mate,that comment is simply not true.
You're correct that externally the clubs havnt said much but the fans on every sports website and on social media platforms talk about this a great deal,and each year the talk is getting greater and greater,it's hardly confined to Big Footy.

The patterns I see though is that each year the calls from fans is clearly getting louder and louder. The calls from the fans of the Vic club who currently won under the current system is equally as load each year. 3 years ago it was Hawthorn fans dominating the conversation,then Footscray and now Richmond.

A closer look at our losses doesn't have me as worried as some of the doomsayers on here.
Vs Adelaide: Grand Final revenge for them, they were building to that all summer, I marked that as a loss the day the fixture came out, no way were we ever overcoming that game.

Vs West Coast: played them at the peak of their powers with Kennedy and Darling fit and in prime form, they were the top team and simply better on the day.

Vs Port Adelaide: did not have Dusty, lost by 14. The next week Dusty plays and I reckon we beat them there, not concerned.

Vs GWS: Kicked 10.17 and missed multiple, gettable shots at goal through the game that would have had us win. A bit more composure and we can win that one.

Every side loses, we have lost 4 away games. Would our losses be more or less concerning if we had lost to the Pies, Cats, Swans and Demons in Melbourne?
What if we had dropped games against Bombers, North, Saints and Hawks? Would that be more concerning?

If we win enough games to finish top and get home finals, I'd much rather our form be strongest at our home ground. It simply doesn't matter where the 0-4 or the 10 wins come from, each game is only ever worth 4 points.

You would think BigFooty could provide more insightful discussion than Channel 7, but unfortunately not.

Channel 7: “Richmond can’t win interstate”.
BigFooty: “Richmond can’t win interstate”.

At least BF has the excuse of a lack of resources and talent.

Come on, Richmond is hardly different to any other side. Every team gets an advantage at their home ground. The interstate teams Richmond have played are all serious premiership contenders. Add that to their home ground advantage and they win.

Then, any team that finishes in the top 2 gets to play all finals (barring the GF) at their home ground. That’s done deliberately to make finishing higher a desirable outcome (derr....)

So the only issue really is the grand final. While there is still some HGA there, it is significantly mitigated by the crowd rebalancing.

In other words, the whole thing is a non-story concocted by the media to sell clicks, and interstate supporters to excuse the poor recent performances (and hide the fact that they’re the size of a country town and have trouble attracting and keeping quality footballers that want to live in a real cosmopolitan city).

Top 2 doesn’t play all home finals if they lose week 1.

I am content to lose every interstate game... Because all that is remember is who won the flag that year..

does anyone even remember how many interstate games the dogs won in 2016?? no... because they wont the flag and that is all that matters..

I'd say winning the flag is 99% of the satisfaction.
Being able to argue your side is the best of all time: That extra 1% and truly priceless.

Top 2 doesn’t play all home finals if they lose week 1.
Really? That’s pretty stupid. Say 2 loses to 3, they’re still effectively higher on the ladder than 4th or 5th. They should still get a home final.

The advantage of 5th is you play at home week 1 and play a team that was lucky to scrape into the 8. That should be enough.

Nerrgghh serves me right for not checking. But the top 4 teams do get to host in the second week. It’s just the prelim in the cross-over they don’t get to host.

Really? That’s pretty stupid. Say 2 loses to 3, they’re still effectively higher on the ladder than 4th or 5th. They should still get a home final.

The advantage of 5th is you play at home week 1 and play a team that was lucky to scrape into the 8. That should be enough.

Nerrgghh serves me right for not checking. But the top 4 teams do get to host in the second week. It’s just the prelim in the cross-over they don’t get to host.

Yeah that's what I meant sorry.

You guys will finish top 2 and probably win week 1. But lose week 1 and you could be playing port, Sydney or west coast in a prelim.

Yeah that's what I meant sorry.

You guys will finish top 2 and probably win week 1. But lose week 1 and you could be playing port, Sydney or west coast in a prelim.
Yep. Week 1 pretty important. Last year's Rich vs Geel QF was effectively a Prelim. This year's may be too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey guys we have just 2 games away from the G to get through (this week against Saints at shitihad and then GC at Metricon) then its the G all the way to flag number 12

View attachment 528281

Seen the recent history of premiership favourites winning it?

Geelong was unbeatable in 2008 more or less, everywhere, any ground. Lost on the day.

Careful. Finals football shifts the competition mentality, you should understand this from 2017. The shift is always close, the best side often doesn't win it.

Think it just suggests they are a very good side, but not yet a great side.
And as they will play their finals at the G, very good will be enough and if they win the flag will deservedly go into the record books as the best team 2 years running.

Lucky you're a Melbourne side then isn't it. Might help you to understand the challenges of interstate sides, and how their triumphs are arguably even more special (especially if beating an 'MCG side' on GF day).

I remember the asterisk for both 2016 and 2017 flags:

2016 umpire cheat flag
2017 MCG cheat flag
2018 MCG cheat flag again if Richmond win

If we'd kicked straight then it was a 3-4 goal win. But we didn't kick straight and lost. Good on the Giants, they kicked much straighter.

And it was also a game where our Achilles heel was shown again. If a team can move the ball fast and cleanly they can get in behind our press and open up the forward line. When we've been beaten teams have done that through perfect footy and absolute pressure. For the Tigers it showed again that Jack Graham has become a vital cog in the engine room.

It's pretty clear how to beat this tiger team. And 4 very good teams have done so interstate. I'm a little worried by that, but not greatly. The G favours us. And we can beat that style if we have a fit team and play with full pressure.

Hope these campaigners smash everyone in the finals again. Would be even better if they do a Hawthorn 2015 and lose their first final away, get written off by everyone on here and called out for losing interstate, then proceed to belt the living s**t out of every campaigner left in sight.

NELSO.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back