• Already a member but not rejoining

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • Hoping to join

Votes: 36 20.8%
  • Chris Masten

Votes: 65 37.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m seated there & the sun can be punishing at times. It was particularly warm at the rd 22 melbourne game & with the way the game was panning out, my mate & I stood watching it at the railing on the terrace getting blind instead of sitting in our seats.

With access to a full strength bar, I figure that's what being a member of the blue and gold terrace would be all about.

I’m seated there & the sun can be punishing at times. It was particularly warm at the rd 22 melbourne game & with the way the game was panning out, my mate & I stood watching it at the railing on the terrace getting blind instead of sitting in our seats.
Quite a Few night games this year from memory.

MY #1 priority when getting seats was shade.

Is there a convention yet as to what to call the two ends at Optus Stadium?
"Hurn has won the toss and is kicking to the ..... end"

Subiaco the commentators would call the city end and the Subiaco end.

So has there been anything evolving or does it need some creative or lateral thinking?

Hope you dont mind the intrusion, I am coming over for the Manchester United games and wanted some advice on seating.

Being winter and taking the boys, I am looking for rain cover, where is the lowest I can go and is there anything else I need to know about the seating?

Cheers

Being winter and taking the boys, I am looking for rain cover, where is the lowest I can go and is there anything else I need to know about the seating?
There will be a different answer for each tier. FWIW, I once sat in Section 134 (ground level, river end) in Row 13 on a rainy day, and was right on the wet/dry borderline. Was getting rained on sometimes, and sheltered other times (I guess due to the (light) breeze), so maybe go for Row 16 or higher if you're in the 100's.

I'm pretty sure that all seats in Tier 5 (top tier) would be under cover.
Tier 3, *maybe* the first few rows might be dicey depending on wind direction? Only guessing as I've never sat there, unfortunately. Hopefully others can confirm.

Last edited:
There will be a different answer for each tier. FWIW, I once sat in Section 134 (ground level, river end) in Row 13 on a rainy day, and was right on the wet/dry borderline. Was getting rained on sometimes, and sheltered other times (I guess due to the wind), so maybe go for Row 16 or higher if you're in the 100's.

I'm pretty sure that all seats in Tier 5 (top tier) would be under cover.
Tier 3, *maybe* the first few rows might be dicey depending on wind direction? Only guessing as I've never sat there, unfortunately. Hopefully others can confirm.
Cheers, in terms of viewing what would be prime seating?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit of a personal preference thing ... I reckon the front of tier 3 would be primo :handok: but I've never sat there for anything so can't confirm. My Eagles seats are frontish in Tier 5 and not nearly as bad as I feared when I was allocated them. High up, but doesn't feel too far back.
Even Tier 1 is not bad though because the whole playing surface is sunk down below the front row of seats. But I reckon for soccer an elevated view is probably best? I'm guessing your choice might come down to rear of tier 1 vs front of tier 5, because tier 3 seats tend to be reserved for packages and so on.

Note also that for the Chelsea match last year the goals were aligned the same way as for AFL (goals at the east & west ends, so north & south seats would be best for a central view)

Bit of a personal preference thing ... I reckon the front of tier 3 would be primo :handok: but I've never sat there for anything so can't confirm. My Eagles seats are frontish in Tier 5 and not nearly as bad as I feared when I was allocated them. High up, but doesn't feel too far back.
Even Tier 1 is not bad though because the whole playing surface is sunk down below the front row of seats. But I reckon for soccer an elevated view is probably best? I'm guessing your choice might come down to rear of tier 1 vs front of tier 5, because tier 3 seats tend to be reserved for packages and so on.

Note also that for the Chelsea match last year the goals were aligned the same way as for AFL (goals at the east & west ends, so north & south seats would be best for a central view)
Thanks mate

Hope you dont mind the intrusion, I am coming over for the Manchester United games and wanted some advice on seating.

Cheers

If the games are during the day, be wary of booking seats facing north or west. If it's not cloudy, the sun can be pretty unbearable even in winter. We are in block 545 row 5 and have experienced this quite a few times...we love the night games! Google virtual venue optus stadium for a good idea of seating.

Keep in mind for soccer the pitch is smaller than AFL so being a little closer to the action will probably be beneficial.
I sit in the second last row at the stadium for the footy and love it but when my family went to the Chelsea game last year they sat mid-5th tier and said it would have been nice to be a closer for soccer.

If the games are during the day, be wary of booking seats facing north or west. If it's not cloudy, the sun can be pretty unbearable even in winter. We are in block 545 row 5 and have experienced this quite a few times...we love the night games! Google virtual venue optus stadium for a good idea of seating.
Thanks mate. They haven’t announced game times yet so don’t know if they will be day or night. Won’t be released until 6 weeks prior.

Should name the ends and wings after the 4 Brownlow medallists across both WA clubs.

Fyfe (bell)end
Priddis end
Cousins wing
Judd wing

The two ends should be named after the leading goal kickers

The Josh Kennedy End
The Matthew Pavlich End

Wings don't need a name, at least for now.

Very (excessively IMO) generous of you to consider a failmantle player to name anything after. Surely someone needs to either win a flag, a Norm Smith, or at least a Coleman to warrant consideration. I don't think any Dockers player has even won a club best & fairest have they? :tongueclosed:

Very (excessively IMO) generous of you to consider a failmantle player to name anything after. Surely someone needs to either win a flag, a Norm Smith, or at least a Coleman to warrant consideration. I don't think any Dockers player has even won a club best & fairest have they? :tongueclosed:
353 games, 700 goals. 6 x All Australian, 8 x times Freo leading goal kicker, 6 x B&F. Those credentials speak for themselves.

JK has 221 games, 551 goals, 3 x All Australians, 6 x time WCE leading goal kicker, 0 x B&F.
Most of them will go up, but he's unlikely to finish with as many games, All Australians, goals or B&Fs as Pav - though his Colemans & a Premiership are pretty handy!

Like it or not, there are 2 teams in West Australia. I don't like Freo, but I can at least respect Pavlich for the champion he was.

Last edited:
I respect Pav as well. If you want me to actually be serious with a response ( :rolleyes: something I occasionally but reluctantly do), then I wouldn't be nominating JK as being end-naming-worthy either.
[/serious mode]

Like it or not, there are 2 teams in West Australia.
I definitely like it. Would be even better if there were 2 or 3 WA teams that the Eagles could be better than, instead of just one, but one is still good :thumbsu:

And re. naming, what we should be doing is celebrating not just greatness but also versatility to play at both ends, which is why the eastern end should be called the McGovern-Hunter-Jakovich end, and so should the western end.
[/total shitpost mode]

353 games, 700 goals. 6 x All Australian, 8 x times Freo leading goal kicker, 6 x B&F. Those credentials speak for themselves.

JK has 221 games, 551 goals, 3 x All Australians, 6 x time WCE leading goal kicker, 0 x B&F.
Most of them will go up, but he's unlikely to finish with as many games, All Australians, goals or B&Fs as Pav - though his Colemans & a Premiership are pretty handy!

Like it or not, there are 2 teams in West Australia. I don't like Freo, but I can at least respect Pavlich for the champion he was.
Pav was a good player, no doubt. His B&F carry no weight with me though as Freo's list was stacked with spuds for the majority of his career. I wouldn't call him great, no premierships or coleman's rules him out for me.

I wouldn't call JK great either, maybe another Coleman and a couple of premierships and he might get there.

Back