No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #11 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

How can anyone take Champion Data seriously. :rolleyes:

What a load of tripe!

DzKqbNeUcAANY_j.jpg

Hall, Daw and Dumont elite?

Wooowee

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Champion data is just like Triple Js top 100 to me.

I just don’t get it.....

You’re just swapping a Dumont for an A$AP Rocky.

I’m so ******* old
spot on like honey dripping on crumpets then dripping on your jeans then getting spot-cleaned with sards and drying on the line with bird-poo spotting them

Champion data is just like Triple Js top 100 to me.

I just don’t get it.....

You’re just swapping a Dumont for an A$AP Rocky.

I’m so ******* old
I saw him live a couple of years ago at festival hall. Was actually surprisingly good.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think CD has a place but there data needs work. The results they collate and use to evaluate best and worst players should improve with more collection of data or even maybe they should find someone who can read the data better. The data collected should eventually get closer and closer to what we already know. Cripps is elite.

He’s arguably the best midfielder in he entire league. Most people know this. The data doesn’t yet. It’ll catch up.

I started a conversation about the new 666 rule in another thread on the main board and thought id continue it here. I'm of the opinion its going to have a huge impact on teams that relied upon numbers around the ball to congest the space and force turnover. I'm looking at you Richmond and Melbourne, according to Luke Hodge today in his presser he has stated that its impossible to get players to reach the contest off the back of the square and this is going to result in NO secondary ball ups in 2019 from the centre square. The ball always gets out. Win the centre clearance and get first chance to put it inside 50. NO spare in front of your marking targets (try outmarking Curnow, Mckay and McGovern, maybe a life line for Casboult) and therefore there should be more free flwoing footy and more inside 50 marks to players that excel in this area.

This means your free marking spares across half back wont be as unaccountable and will need to go to a man. Think Rance and Andrews who have been very good zoning off but they wont be able to as much in 2019. The counter argument is this will only be a temporay thing as teams will just wait till after the first bounce and move to zone. But where do these players come from. Do you really expect them to run across the entire ground to get to one spot for the centre bounce and then set up at the other sideof the ground once its move away. Way too complicated and at the expense of energy levels. Yes they may move wings to the defence after a bounce and then push a forward onto the wing which seems like the easiest way to do it. But Melbourne showed they could put two spares behind the ball and flood the centre for a pressured kick. No longer can they do this and play 11 mids every game. They will get killed in the air. Richmond the same, don't they play 12 players that can run through the middle. They wont be able to handle the 1 on 1s at either end if they go with their 2018 zone and tactics.

I see it being a huge change to football in 2019.

This means your free marking spares across half back wont be as unaccountable and will need to go to a man. Think Rance and Andrews who have been very good zoning off but they wont be able to as much in 2019. The counter argument is this will only be a temporay thing as teams will just wait till after the first bounce and move to zone. But where do these players come from. Do you really expect them to run across the entire ground to get to one spot for the centre bounce and then set up at the other sideof the ground once its move away. Way too complicated and at the expense of energy levels. Yes they may move wings to the defence after a bounce and then push a forward onto the wing which seems like the easiest way to do it. But Melbourne showed they could put two spares behind the ball and flood the centre for a pressured kick. No longer can they do this and play 11 mids every game. They will get killed in the air. Richmond the same, don't they play 12 players that can run through the middle. They wont be able to handle the 1 on 1s at either end if they go with their 2018 zone and tactics.

Rather than killing Andrews and Rance, who while very loose still at least resemble FB and beat KPF and play marginally accountably, IMO the players it'd truly impact are the next step down, your true 3rd man in interceptors who are by far more attacking players than they are defenders. Lever, Sicily and even Docherty are the ones who this will hurt, as they need to be quite a bit freer to wreak their damage. Melbourne, all things being equal, were ten goals weaker when Lever was injured, after they realised he's just not a KPD and stopped trying to turn him into one. He's not Jake Carlisle, and no amount of cramming that square peg into that round hole would make it so.

When they have to play on a third tall - because they're going to be sufficiently weak at defending that you simply do not want to leave them on a second or a first KPF - they are immediately less effective than they were when they were the extra number; the other option is even more risky, as it leaves them covering a small forward who can and will burn you, both on the turnover and on the scoreboard.

Either way, it's not something I'd be trying too much against us in 2019. If you're relying on outmarking any of our KPF, let alone what we could do with some of our strong contested marking mids, you're going to be in for a bad day.

Rather than killing Andrews and Rance, who while very loose still at least resemble FB and beat KPF and play marginally accountably, IMO the players it'd truly impact are the next step down, your true 3rd man in interceptors who are by far more attacking players than they are defenders. Lever, Sicily and even Docherty are the ones who this will hurt, as they need to be quite a bit freer to wreak their damage. Melbourne, all things being equal, were ten goals weaker when Lever was injured, after they realised he's just not a KPD and stopped trying to turn him into one. He's not Jake Carlisle, and no amount of cramming that square peg into that round hole would make it so.

When they have to play on a third tall - because they're going to be sufficiently weak at defending that you simply do not want to leave them on a second or a first KPF - they are immediately less effective than they were when they were the extra number; the other option is even more risky, as it leaves them covering a small forward who can and will burn you, both on the turnover and on the scoreboard.

Either way, it's not something I'd be trying too much against us in 2019. If you're relying on outmarking any of our KPF, let alone what we could do with some of our strong contested marking mids, you're going to be in for a bad day.
Just thinking about that, the Lever/etc third tall...

Maybe we see more teams play that Tomlinson/Riewoldt/Richo/Blicavs KPP sized wing role. Tall bastard that can run all day and be the strong-marking connection between each end of the ground, but also has the ability to get back into the D50 and play as the loose interceptor/3rd man.

To use us in round 1 as an example we'd match up something like Lynch/Jones, Riewoldt/Weitering & Caddy/Plowman and still have the 3 smaller guys (Simmo, Newman, Garlett/Thomas/Willo) to watch their smalls. The loose/3rd drops back off the wing when required to help out but isn't a permanent fixture of the back 6.

Wonder if we could see Marchbank or Macreadie become that for us this year?

I started a conversation about the new 666 rule in another thread on the main board and thought id continue it here. I'm of the opinion its going to have a huge impact on teams that relied upon numbers around the ball to congest the space and force turnover. I'm looking at you Richmond and Melbourne, according to Luke Hodge today in his presser he has stated that its impossible to get players to reach the contest off the back of the square and this is going to result in NO secondary ball ups in 2019 from the centre square. The ball always gets out. Win the centre clearance and get first chance to put it inside 50. NO spare in front of your marking targets (try outmarking Curnow, Mckay and McGovern, maybe a life line for Casboult) and therefore there should be more free flwoing footy and more inside 50 marks to players that excel in this area.

Rance vs Cox
Rance vs Degoey
Rance vs Jenkins
Rance vs Trengrove
Rance vs Weiters
Rance vs Taylor
Just off the top of my head where he has been no good 1 on 1 in the last 2 years

Could be the year his rep takes a hit as he needs to play one out more often. 25-30 times a game he will be in the 6-6-6 set up.

Not Carlton related but it may have got a bit tense at SEN this morning when Lyon shut down Watson when he asked the question; 'Do players hide under the guise of mental health, when they may really have drug-related issues'.

Lyon just called out 'ignorance'
Who's doing the ignoring though?

Not Carlton related but it may have got a bit tense at SEN this morning when Lyon shut down Watson when he asked the question; 'Do players hide under the guise of mental health, when they may really have drug-related issues'.

Lyon just called out 'ignorance'
Who's doing the ignoring though?

Doesn't mind asking the hard questions when it is someone else's club?
Do clubs hide under the guise of supplements/vitamins, when they may really be systematically doping their players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back