Opinion 2019 Non Crows - Watts love got to do with it? #pick1herewecome

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And that works in soccer. Stops parallel movement and shortening the distance the ball can move forward as there is an offside rule.

You employ a similar trap in AFL and you leave yourself open for the "Joe the Goose" goal.

What you are suggesting leaves the offence up the ground open as you need players to collapse on the ball carrier. Which logically leave the men open up the ground.

It fails as soon as the guys being defended move the ball with quick handball then a long kick out of the area.

You need to stop those routes closer to goal in AFL.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Only need two players to pressure the ball carrier, not the whole team. The rest of the team sits back and defends as a unit.

Mid 2000s footy.....

Not even close. I’m talking about reduction of the time spent in defensive transition.

Only need two players to pressure the ball carrier, not the whole team. The rest of the team sits back and defends as a unit.
Sitting behind the ball as a unit IS mid 2000s footy. Today's footy relies more on controlling the ball and the play. Defending outlets rather than clogging space. Why? Because blokes like Al Clarkson worked out if you've got the ball you control the game and if you're skilled enough, and patient enough, you can beat a flood every time.

Sitting behind the ball as a unit IS mid 2000s footy. Today's footy relies more on controlling the ball and the play. Defending outlets rather than clogging space. Why? Because blokes like Al Clarkson worked out if you've got the ball you control the game and if you're skilled enough, and patient enough, you can beat a flood every time.

It’s about the players who can get to the contest pressing and putting pressure on the ball carrier AND the players who are on the next line protecting outlets by picking up a man AND the players beyond that guarding space.

You’ll work it out.

It’s about the players who can get to the contest pressing and putting pressure on the ball carrier AND the players who are on the next line protecting outlets by picking up a man AND the players beyond that guarding space.

You’ll work it out.

You should consider coaching an AFL team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Right I look forward to seeing the Port pressure this year.

Melbourne will destroy them Round 1 and they are so lucky playing Carlton in Round 2.

Will be lucky to be 2-3 after 5, more likely 1-4 and the drums will be beating.
This attack mentality will disappear pretty quickly when they are forced to put Westhoff downback to stop the bleeding. Then the players will go into their shells and we are back to 2018.

You’ll work it out.
When you say pressure do you mean physical pressure or corralling?

You’ll work it out.
Ohhhhhhh, now I get it.

...You mean like what every team's been trying to do for the last aeon?

Novel approach by Port I must say.

When you say pressure do you mean physical pressure or corralling?

First phase (the players that know the contest is coming to their area of the ground) - Physical pressure that will affect the contest.

Second phase (the players that know that if the first phase players aren't able to win the contest, the ball will be coming to their area (the secondary contest)) - Man marking.

Third phase (the players that have no influence on the contest or the secondary contest) - Zonal spacing.

Easy :)

First phase (the players that know the contest is coming to their area of the ground) - Physical pressure that will affect the contest.

Second phase (the players that know that if the first phase players aren't able to win the contest, the ball will be coming to their area (the secondary contest)) - Man marking.

Third phase (the players that have no influence on the contest or the secondary contest) - Zonal spacing.

Fourth phase Jack Watts becomes the best half forward in the AFL and the recruit of the year.

Or was that last years prediction, I've lost track?

I really do hope Port play that way. I really do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back