AFLW Rd 4 Geelong vs Carlton @ GMHBA, Sat 24th Feb, 15:45

Remove this Banner Ad

From a Geelong Addy article in Friday's paper - maybe not 100% right area but didn't think it warranted it's own thread & not sure if we have a 2019 VFLW thread yet:

MEANWHILE, the Cats will meet the Western Bulldogs in a VFLW practice match on Sunday, with players on the AFLW list who have not played to get some game time.

“It’s a little bit of a selection trial too for our VFLW squad, and the opportunity to play half-a-dozen AFLW players who haven’t had a lot of match practise, it gives them a great chance to sharpen up before they hopefully get an opportunity with the AFLW team,” Hood said.

https://www.geelongadvertiser.com.a...h/news-story/3670471c81fe7c33d7402bfe39b1c75a

Winty doesn't muck about C09:

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/vflw-2019-season-thread.1210473/

:cool:

half-a-dozen AFLW listed players who haven't played yet?

I can think of Burchell, Trevean, Rene Caris off the top of my head ...

The Geelong pathway is an interesting one; not only do we have exclusive dibs on any junior who nominates us as their preferred destination, but we almost get a 2nd, audition-like stab at it through the VFLW - e.g. 'mature-aged' players or code-jumpers who might get a look-in with our VFLW side would be more likely to nominate Geelong (or at least not exclude them) as their preferred destination come AFLW nomination-process time (that doesn't have a real great ring to it). Hopefully our list management team is working overtime to exploit our unique position in the comp before the AFL take another look at things as they stand..

Winty doesn't muck about C09:

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/vflw-2019-season-thread.1210473/

:cool:

half-a-dozen AFLW listed players who haven't played yet?

I can think of Burchell, Trevean, Rene Caris off the top of my head ...

The Geelong pathway is an interesting one; not only do we have exclusive dibs on any junior who nominates us as their preferred destination, but we almost get a 2nd, audition-like stab at it through the VFLW - e.g. 'mature-aged' players or code-jumpers who might get a look-in with our VFLW side would be more likely to nominate Geelong (or at least not exclude them) as their preferred destination come AFLW nomination-process time (that doesn't have a real great ring to it). Hopefully our list management team is working overtime to exploit our unique position in the comp before the AFL take another look at things as they stand..
Thanks for the link, I've posted the info in that thread also

Agree with everything you've said about our pathway and the positives of having teams in both the AFLW & VFLW

Thank you to the AFLW facebook page for the following - things obviously went well in round 1 and now they are repeating it for our second home match:

Now I'm at the ground it seems the AFL have screwed up - the image is from round one and not today

52840309_2273209029610474_2667007187091456_o.png

Last edited:

Had front row seats just a matter of metres from the bench - then Carlton staff turned up to setting a few things up in front of that area.

Decided to move - so now closer to the 50m arc, but with our players race about 12 seats (and an aisle) to my right. Still sitting on the fence. This does feel a little like home though as I used to sit a bay to my left prior to the redevelopment of this area
8A4B2F37-F587-4CFB-A1DE-63FDE48E4395.jpeg

Another good sign is that Aasta O'Connor is out on the ground warming up with the rest of the team - no strapping or bandage on the knees

At this stage though it seems that Hoare has taken the bulk of the ruck work during the warmup - it's no s**t that she's taller than our midfield, but the poor guy with the jumping bag that is standing in front of her was nearly a head shorter than her.

O'Connor did join in some ruck battles while I typed this, she looks to be jumping freely which is good

Are Geelong playing today? All the Channel 7 pregame has focused on Carlton.
I did scratch my head when at the ground, when the Carlton song started playing for the team to run out that they then started playing season highlights of them - not sure if during the AFL season I've ever seen highlights of the opposition at a game but they did that here

Anyone know what Hoare's goal kicking is like - she is starting in the goal square

O'Connor starting in the centre bounce

Not too sure - hopefully she plucks a couple in the square and converts from point-blank!

I'm spewin' I won't be able to watch this live, will have to catch a replay this evening :mad:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The grounds looks appalling... what ever or who ever has played on the ground .. its about the worst I have ever seen it.
Melbourne Storm vs New Zealand Warriors last night in practice match

Curious to see a replay of an incident in our forward line about a minute or so after we kicked our goal

It was when the ball was back in our forward 50, a metre or two behind the pack that was contesting the ball a Carlton player hit the ground hard & took their time to get back to their feet. When the umpire came in to throw up the ball, I think it was O'Connor who was targeted and knocked to the ground.

Not sure what happened and like to see it again without watching the ball like I was

This lady on special comments is freaking hopeless.
Benefit of being at the ground is that you don't need to worry about that

Well thats tells everyone whats important .. a NRL practice match is more important than AFLW real stuff.
Someone did turn the lights off not long after they started last night - maybe sending a message that this is Geelong's ground and should be the priority

Curious to see a replay of an incident in our forward line about a minute or so after we kicked our goal

It was when the ball was back in our forward 50, a metre or two behind the pack that was contesting the ball a Carlton player hit the ground hard & took their time to get back to their feet. When the umpire came in to throw up the ball, I think it was O'Connor who was targeted and knocked to the ground.

Not sure what happened and like to see it again without watching the ball like I was

Was a little similar to Tayla Harris last week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back