Preview Today!!! Rd 1v Freo at Perth

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The trend of 'traded in' players getting first crack continues.

No way should Pittard, and to a lesser extent Tyson, be automatic starting 18 players.

On the other hand, we got them in to improve our side. Not merely to add depth. And they aren’t exactly coming into a premiership side, so one could argue fresh blood is needed. Pittard I’m 50/50 on, but Tyson should be in the 18 100%. JLT confirms it, not to mention the fact that without Anderson and Jacobs and with Ziebell forward our inside brigade is very thin.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

On the other hand, we got them in to improve our side. Not merely to add depth. And they aren’t exactly coming into a premiership side, so one could argue fresh blood is needed. Pittard I’m 50/50 on, but Tyson should be in the 18 100%. JLT confirms it, not to mention the fact that without Anderson and Jacobs and with Ziebell forward our inside brigade is very thin.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pittard is not an improvement on anyone we have IMO.

Polec is. Hall is. Tyson seems to cover Jacobs/Anderson so not awful.

Last edited:
Cunners, Tyson, LDU & a bit of JZ is probably overkill for pure inside players. I still reckon LDU will play though.

True. But I reckon LDU has plenty of scope to play hit up forward and when we go in with that quartet this year I see JZ playing even less midfield than last year.

The trend of 'traded in' players getting first crack continues.

No way should Pittard, and to a lesser extent Tyson, be automatic starting 18 players.
Who should be getting a run ahead of Pittard with our current player availability? Don't think he's automatic best 18 by any stretch. And Tyson's on the extended bench.

Who should be getting a run ahead of Pittard with our current player availability? Don't think he's automatic best 18 by any stretch. And Tyson's on the extended bench.

Ats starts back there and we bring in another forward.

Not too long ago Pittard was considered for AA. His best is walk up start in any 18, and we have a habit of getting guys into form. He has strung together some footy and had a decent block of training post Christmas which is probably the best run he has had since his AA squad days. So yeah, happy with him starting. And Tyson is a very good inside mid who gets mid 20s most weeks he steps on the park. He easily slots in.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Simpkin in no way deserves to be ahead of at least 4 guys on that bench.

Geez Pykie, you've been down on Simpkin all summer. Pretty much every post you've made about him has been a clip.

Hope you man up and admit you're wrong when it becomes apparent that you are, say by mid-season.

I'll post a grovelling "how did I ever doubt you, Pykie" in the unlikely event that Simpkin is the bust that you're implying.

Not too long ago Pittard was considered for AA. His best is walk up start in any 18, and we have a habit of getting guys into form. He has strung together some footy and had a decent block of training post Christmas which is probably the best run he has had since his AA squad days. So yeah, happy with him starting. And Tyson is a very good inside mid who gets mid 20s most weeks he steps on the park. He easily slots in.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

He is a good one-on-one defender and is a good rebound defender. Haven't seen the rebound much but his work in the contest has been good. I am happy to give him a couple of games.

With no Jed or Jacobs, would be baffled if we went sans Tyson. There are knocks on his game, sure, but he is a clearance pig and a competitor.

I'd go LDU/Ahern/Dumont/Tyson. If we need half back rotations, Polec and Hall can run through there at times.

McDonald in midfield would actually work IMO, we saw what he did to Melbourne and Adelaide down in Tassie in 2017. Loves a scrap and have no issue with him playing find the footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy to hold judgement on Pittard for a few games in the seniors. He was made to play as the third tall in the JLT, which is certainly not his go. He'll definitely benefit from having Tarrant, Thompson and EVW all in the side (which we have not seen in almost 12 months now).

Simpkin, on the other hand, is capable of so much more than he showed. Hopefully, he was just foxing, cruising, not getting out of 2nd gear - whatever you want to call it. No one is saying he's a bust, LTK. But he's no longer a kid. He needs to do more.

Ummm, look I usually back the team in that is selected, particularly at the start of a new season when we don't really know how people are tracking. But really I would much rather see Hrovat out, Simpkin in the forward line for dancing feet goals and either Ahern or LDU in the middle smashing it .... anyway cant wait to see the lads in action, the footy is back.

th

What I guess and expect

Tuner kicks opening goal within 30 seconds after 1st bounce
Scott kicks 1st goal and stay for next game
Brown gets awake and kicks more than 5 goal for joining coleman medal race
Polec or Whoever of North wins 3 votes 2 votes 1 vote
Win by more than 50 points and hopefully goes to the top of the ladder
No injuries during game
Have nice beer with their colas

Geez Pykie, you've been down on Simpkin all summer. Pretty much every post you've made about him has been a clip.

Hope you man up and admit you're wrong when it becomes apparent that you are, say by mid-season.

I'll post a grovelling "how did I ever doubt you, Pykie" in the unlikely event that Simpkin is the bust that you're implying.
I don't think he's saying Simpkin is a bust. He's simply saying on his current output there is no way he should be a walkup start in the 22, let alone 18. He may need to go back to VFL and learn to find the ball before he's tried as a mid at AFL level.

Happy to hold judgement on Pittard for a few games in the seniors. He was made to play as the third tall in the JLT, which is certainly not his go. He'll definitely benefit from having Tarrant, Thompson and EVW all in the side (which we have not seen in almost 12 months now).

Simpkin, on the other hand, is capable of so much more than he showed. Hopefully, he was just foxing, cruising, not getting out of 2nd gear - whatever you want to call it. No one is saying he's a bust, LTK. But he's no longer a kid. He needs to do more.

What happens next week when Thompson is back? Does McKay automatically go back to the VFL, irrespective of how he performs? If so, who provides ruck relief that Maj used to do last year? I am assuming McKay may be the one doing it in Perth.

Quite a few players in the team who didnt earn a spot.
Now that we have some depth, i will be pretty annoyed Scott continues his very frugal changes policy.

I'd rather see if Jasper can play against Freo than say, West Coast or Collingwood.

No offence Freo.

Actually, lots of offence, Freo.

From the selected squad, the four to be dropped (my guess) will be Larkey, TT, Rat and Pittard (Pittard being the shakiest prediction)

From the selected squad, the four to be dropped (my guess) will be Larkey, TT, Rat and Pittard (Pittard being the shakiest prediction)
Isn't it usually the case that players selected on the field on Thursday squads are definitely playing, and the four emergencies always comes from those on the bench?

Isn't it usually the case that players selected on the field on Thursday squads are definitely playing, and the four emergencies always comes from those on the bench?
Yeah, commonly but its not the case every single time. Players originally picked in the 18 have been cut out of the final 22 before. Theres just too many mid/sml defenders and Scott has never not played Macmillan (bench named defender). Playing Macmillan, Pittard, EVW, Marley, Mcdonald is one too many.

To be honest, I just don't wanna see LDU get squeezed out because I feel like, from that bench, Tyson (Experience), Ahern, Macmillan and Dumont are safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back