Autopsy Roast & toast vs Adelaide and changes for the bye (or St Kilda)

Best five

• 1: Nick Vlastuin

Votes: 26 13.3%
  • 2: Dylan Grimes

Votes: 58 29.6%
  • 3: Dion Prestia

Votes: 135 68.9%
  • 4: Dustin Martin

Votes: 179 91.3%
  • 5: Brandon Ellis

Votes: 8 4.1%
  • 7: Dan Butler

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • 11: Jason Castagna

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 13: Jack Higgins

• 14: Bachar Houli

Votes: 18 9.2%
  • 17: Daniel Rioli

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • 19: Tom Lynch

Votes: 148 75.5%
  • 22: Josh Caddy

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • 33: Kamdyn McIntosh

• 34: Jack Graham

Votes: 77 39.3%
  • 35: Nathan Broad

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • 37: Connor Menadue

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • 38: Noah Balta

• 42: Ryan Garthwaite

• 44: Sydney Stack

Votes: 157 80.1%
  • 45: Patrick Naish

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • 47: Mabior Chol

Votes: 45 23.0%
  • 48: Liam Baker

Votes: 4 2.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

After watching Chol at AFL level, I think he might be ahead of Soldo, as he is more like Nank - he is mobile around the ground. Absolutely, Soldo is a better tap ruckman, but not much else. Can Chol AND Soldo be in the same side ? What would happen with Balta - move him down back.. Could work.
Put Balta on a wing relief ruckman use his aerobic skills and height
Play Chol as second ruck and Jack as 3rd tall
Puts pressure on the smalls to perform
The smalls for me in order are Rioli(if playing well currently not) Bolton Higgins(same as Rioli)Baker Castagna and Butler
Can only play max 4 and probably only 3 so whoever in best form plays BUT please no Butler
With the 3 talks also puts a new dimension of play and gives us another avenue if the smalls start to combine

Yep that was one I was super annoyed with and I’m a Rioli defender.

Also Butler’s two ****ty toe-poke attempts on the wing, forward side when he could have put his head over the ball, picked it up and either shot a handball over the crows defenders or kicked it over the crows defenders, or even caused a stoppage, instead I’m pretty sure those two attempts also ended up in Crows goals.
Yes thought Butler killed us and Rioli needs to move back with Dimma that dropped mark aghhh

What a laugh the last 10 or so pages were...

Highlights: McIntosh a spud this year and should be dropped... ffs can't make this up, been one of the more consistent players all year.
Worst skilled team ever and arsed a flag.... must've aresd the minor premiers last year and the unbeaten record at the MCG as well....

So many downers, almost depressing reading it

Commiserations on the loss.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the match. If you haven't seen a previous post, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces. After a suggestion last week, I'm now adding Champion Data's centre clearance stat to the mix.

Overall Summary - 28

Martin 24
Ellis 24 (22w, 2i)
Prestia 24
McIntosh 22 wing
Naish 12 wing
Graham 10
Higgins 8
Baker 8
Caddy 4
Castagna 2
Rioli 2

Rucks:
Balta 15 (O'Brien 24)
Chol 13 (Jenkins 4)

Centre Clearances (per Champion Data/AFL.com.au

Caddy 2
Prestia 1
Martin 1
Naish 1
Castagna 1

1st Half - 10

Martin 9
Ellis 8 (6w, 2i)
Prestia 8
McIntosh 7 wing
Naish 7 wing
Higgins 5
Baker 4
Graham 1
Castagna 1

Balta 7
Chol 3

2nd Half - 18

Ellis 16 wing
Prestia 16
Martin 15
McIntosh 15 wing
Graham 9
Naish 5 wing
Baker 4
Caddy 4
Higgins 3
Rioli 2
Castagna 1

Chol 10
Balta 8

Notes:
- Only the 2nd of your 10 analysed games this season where only 4 players have attended 50% or more bounces.
- Brandon Ellis's debut as an inside mid in analysed games
- Naish wrap-up with Ellis back: spent 40% of the game on the bench; 13mins less game-time than the next small (Baker); played 20mins less than McIntosh and 30min less than Ellis
- Not sure whether it was a coaching instruction or something he did on his own volition, but for the final 40mins, Ellis would start on the wing (usually on Atkins) and then run to be a spare in defense leaving Atkins to freewheel - that was at least a contributing factor in Atkins's goal
- A most un-Richmond set-up for the first half: traditionally you've preferred an extra mid around stoppages, but whilst Graham attended stoppages post-bounce this was often instead of Higgins/Baker who would return forward, rather than in addition to.
- After not receiving a single rotation last week, Higgins was the preferred 3rd inside mid at bounces for the first half
- If Graham was tagging anyone it was hard to tell as whilst he immediately went to Brad Crouch after the opening bounce, he largely stood Sloane when they both attended bounces in the 2nd half. He also manned Matt Crouch at times during the game as well.

Last edited:
In: Cotchin, Lambert, Astbury, Edwards, Bolton

Out: Butler, Higgins, Garthwaite, Castagna, Menadue

See how Balta goes after the break. Rioli and Caddy on notice. If they don’t lift then Weller comes in. Ellis has some runs on the board and I think people are carrying on a bit too much over that dropped mark. Higgins should stay in the twos until he learns how to play footy again. Butler should never play for us again. Any talk of Soldo and Townsend should stop immediately.
Geez I loved and agreed with your last two sentences starting with Butler should never play with us again
Can u get a spot on selection committee been saying that about Butler for over two years now he is costing us matches plus stopping development in other players like Bolton

Commiserations on the loss.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the match. If you haven't seen a previous post, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces. After a suggestion last week, I'm now adding Champion Data's centre clearance stat to the mix.

Overall Summary - 28

Martin 24
Ellis 24 (22w, 2i)
Prestia 24
McIntosh 22 wing
Naish 12 wing
Graham 10
Higgins 8
Baker 8
Caddy 4
Castagna 2
Rioli 2

Rucks:
Balta 15 (O'Brien 24)
Chol 13 (Jenkins 4)

Centre Clearances (per Champion Data/AFL.com.au

Caddy 2
Prestia 1
Martin 1
Naish 1
Castagna 1

1st Half - 10

Martin 9
Ellis 8 (6w, 2i)
Prestia 8
McIntosh 7 wing
Naish 7 wing
Higgins 5
Baker 4
Graham 1
Castagna 1

Balta 7
Chol 3

2nd Half - 18

Ellis 16 wing
Prestia 16
Martin 15
McIntosh 15 wing
Graham 9
Naish 5 wing
Baker 4
Caddy 4
Higgins 3
Rioli 2
Castagna 1

Chol 10
Balta 8

Notes:
- Only the 2nd of your 10 analysed games this season where only 4 players have attended 50% or more bounces.
- Brandon Ellis's debut as an inside mid in analysed games
- Naish wrap-up with Ellis back: spent 40% of the game on the bench; 13mins less game-time than the next small (Baker); played 20mins less than McIntosh and 30min less than Ellis
- Not sure whether it was a coaching instruction or something he did on his own volition, but for the final 40mins, Ellis would start on the wing (usually on Atkins) and then run to be a spare in defense leaving Atkins to freewheel - that was at least a contributing factor in Atkins's goal
- A most un-Richmond set-up for the first half: traditionally you've preferred an extra mid around stoppages, but whilst Graham attended stoppages post-bounce this was often instead of Higgins/Baker who would return forward, rather than in addition to.
- After not receiving a single rotation last week, Higgins was the preferred 3rd inside mid at bounces for the first half
- If Graham was tagging anyone it was hard to tell as whilst he immediately went to Brad Crouch after the opening bounce, he largely stood Sloane when they both attended bounces in the 2nd half. He also manned Matt Crouch at times during the game as well.
Great stats, thanks. :beermug:

Really highlights that Martin and Prestia are shouldering the bulk of the midfield duties while Cotchin, Lambert and Ross are out. With those outs Graham becomes the number three midfielder and a couple of kids in Higgins and Baker that aren't really ready to carry the midfield making up the numbers. You can't hold onto all of them, but Miles and Lloyd would have been walk up starts if they stuck around. :anguished:

VFL is his level, that's where it ends.

That’s true...And he’s a Premiership legend, he should walk away satisfied...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His mistakes and those of other whipping boys like Butler Castagna Rioli are easier to highlight because everyone piles on where as when you question an error like I did with Martin, excuses are made, like yours above.

Not saying that isn't allowed, my issue is with the double standards that get applied to different players because of their standing in the side. For mine we should be more critical of our stars when they make errors than our role players because the stars are the ones who shouldn't make basic errors, yet they do just as often as the role players. As you said how many times have we seen Martin completely butcher a basic pass and it end up in a goal, but it barely raises a ripple of condemnation.
Sorry I call bullshit on Martin making as many errors as the “whipping boys”. He makes mistakes and some bad ones at that, but not as often as an Ellis for instance. And that’s fine, I don’t expect those type of players to be at that level.
What I do expect is that they give their all the rest of the time.
I forgive Kmac because I know he will give 100% at every contest and back it up 2 or 3 times. I forgive Nank his mistakes and the fact he never going to be a top line ruck because I know when he is on the field he will try, to hard sometimes, to do everything in his power to win every contest to help the team. Same for Castagna, but Christ his set shots drive me insane!
What I don’t forgive is seeing half hearted effort, and second guessing, being to afraid of having the ball that they dump it on another player under more pressure, or not doing the basic hard things that will help out team mates.
If that’s double standards then please call me out.

Balta has been quiet the past three weeks.
Did a lot of media hype, it doesn't pay off.
In Astbury Cotchin Edwards Soldo
Out Balta Chol Menadue Garth.

F Baker Lynch Castagna
Rioli Caddy Butler
Ellis Prestia KMc
Houli Vlaustin Edwards
Broad Grimes Astbury
Foll Soldo Martin Cotchin
i Graham Higgins Naish Stack

Sorry I call ******** on Martin making as many errors as the “whipping boys”. He makes mistakes and some bad ones at that, but not as often as an Ellis for instance. And that’s fine, I don’t expect those type of players to be at that level.
I forgive Kmac because I know he will give 100% at every contest and back it up 2 or 3 times. I forgive Nank his mistakes and the fact he never going to be a top line ruck because I know when he is on the field he will try, to hard sometimes, to do everything in his power to win every contest to help the team. Same for Castagna, but Christ his set shots drive me insane!
What I don’t forgive is seeing half hearted effort, and second guessing, being to afraid of having the ball that they dump it on another player under more pressure, or not doing the basic hard things that will help out team mates.
So why does Martin average more turnovers and clangers per game than Ellis? And why is Ellis's effective disposal average per game higher (only Houli is higher than Ellis) than Martin?

Last edited:
Sorry I call ******** on Martin making as many errors as the “whipping boys”. He makes mistakes and some bad ones at that, but not as often as an Ellis for instance. And that’s fine, I don’t expect those type of players to be at that level.
Martin burns the ball twice an much as ellis and is also far less accountable to his direct opponent/s.... thing is dusty is so bloody good and devastating when on song that makes him regarded as twice the player cause he will do twice the damage and rightly so on a regular basis

Balta has been quiet the past three weeks.
Did a lot of media hype, it doesn't pay off.
In Astbury Cotchin Edwards Soldo
Out Balta Chol Menadue Garth.

F Baker Lynch Castagna
Rioli Caddy Butler
Ellis Prestia KMc
Houli Vlaustin Edwards
Broad Grimes Astbury
Foll Soldo Martin Cotchin
i Graham Higgins Naish Stack
Who is back up ruck with no Balta/Chol?

See Bazzar and tropicaltiger posts above and please don't give the reply that Dusty wins more contested possessions and that's why he makes errors. He makes plenty of errors in uncontested situations as well.

For the record I am not potting Dusty or defending Ellis, just using them to highlight the difference in the way different players are treated.

What a laugh the last 10 or so pages were...

Highlights: McIntosh a spud this year and should be dropped... ffs can't make this up, been one of the more consistent players all year.
Worst skilled team ever and arsed a flag.... must've aresd the minor premiers last year and the unbeaten record at the MCG as well....

So many downers, almost depressing reading it
KMac is top 5 BNF easily

Let's not rush anyone back in like the same scenario of Cotchin and Jack and they miss more games.If there not 100% fit so be it.I'm not sure bringing these guys in at the same time is going to have the affect were expecting or impact as a lot will be underdone.

Brando is in our best 22 at the moment with injuries and that is the problem. He was in our bottom 6 in 2017 and we needed to find someone better but haven’t. One thing about him is he is almost never one of our good players when we lose. And it’s not because he needs to play well for us to win it’s because the team needs to win for him
To play well.

Back