List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Keath is 28 years old.

Young has shown some promise, but has not yet had a full season of consistency at AFL level.

Worrell is not too different from McAsey, yet just about everyone is all-in on the McAsey wagon.
McAsey did win the Vic Metro MVP award in the same team as Rowell and Anderson who are the AFL approved
choices for the first two picks.

McAsey is more of your one-on-one defender like Howard or Andrews, while Worrell is more of your interceptor type. McAsey fits the bigger need, has shown more talent, plus has the appeal of being a Dogs fan (although this is hardly relevant). McAsey is easily a top 10 prospect, which is why he's an attractive option at Pick 13, while Worrell is likely not going to be best available at that point
Umm, Worrell is fine 1v1. Intercepting is highlighted as a strength because it's a more valuable quality in the modern game. Even if 1v1s weren't a strength, it's not a particularly difficult skill to teach.

Worrell is exactly what people would define as a "key-defender" in the modern game, and as it so happens, we need one with Morris retired, Trengove & Keath nearing 30 and Naughton presumably staying up forward.

McAsey did win the Vic Metro MVP award in the same team as Rowell and Anderson who are the AFL approved
choices for the first two picks.
I'm not saying Worrell over McAsey. I'm just saying we should be considering Worrell if McAsey is off the board.

If we are intent on using pick 13 in the draft, I'd be disappointed if we used it on Pickett if Worrell, Weightman or Bergman were available.

Umm, Worrell is fine 1v1. Intercepting is highlighted as a strength because it's a more valuable quality in the modern game. Even if 1v1s weren't a strength, it's not a particularly difficult skill to teach.

Worrell is exactly what people would define as a "key-defender" in the modern game, and as it so happens, we need one with Morris retired, Trengove & Keath nearing 30 and Naughton presumably staying up forward.
I'm not saying Worrell can't play 1 on 1, I'm just saying McAsey appears to be better suited to the role. The more important part is that at Pick 13, we'd be wanting best available, and I doubt Worrell would be best available there. If we were trade down to try get a couple of early 2nds, then I'd be more than happy with Worrell. Just not at Pick 13

Keath is 28 years old.

Young has shown some promise, but has not yet had a full season of consistency at AFL level.

Worrell is not too different from McAsey, yet just about everyone is all-in on the McAsey wagon.
Because he is a bulldogs supporter

Tried to look at our options for trading down, and assuming we'd try turn Pick 13 + Pick 53 into two picks in the middle of those. This is based on our alleged interest in guys like Bergman and Pickett, who would be reaches at 13. Ignoring trying to get benefit our way, the closest value trades I could find are:

Richmond (19 + 38)
North (26 + 27)
Adelaide (23 + 28)
Brisbane (21 + 34)
Geelong (17 + 36)

All of those are very close to even trades on points value. Feels like Brisbane or Geelong would be the most attractive option, but none would really give us much chance of picking up both the guys we're looking at. I think our best hope is that someone desperate for a certain player decides to overpay. So we could end up in a situation where maybe Kemp slides to us, and Geelong really wants him, so we manage to snag 17 + 24 from them instead.

Last edited:

I've heard Worrell say he sees himself as a 3rd defender - but we have a lot of options for that role.

I'm not saying Worrell can't play 1 on 1, I'm just saying McAsey appears to be better suited to the role. The more important part is that at Pick 13, we'd be wanting best available, and I doubt Worrell would be best available there. If we were trade down to try get a couple of early 2nds, then I'd be more than happy with Worrell. Just not at Pick 13
Based on what?

Worrell is 100% not going outside top 20. Not a chance in hell.

I've heard Worrell say he sees himself as a 3rd defender - but we have a lot of options for that role.
Where a player sees himself in his junior years does not necessarily reflect where recruiters see him at AFL level...
James Sicily saw himself as a medium forward. Ended up becoming one of the best intercept/rebounding defenders in the AFL.

And again, the kid is 195cm and still probably growing. He's more than capable of holding down a key post.

Tried to look at our options for trading down, and assuming we'd try turn Pick 13 + Pick 53 into two picks in the middle of those. This is based on our alleged interest in guys like Bergman and Pickett, who would be massive reaches at 13. Ignoring trying to get benefit our way, the closest value trades I could find are:

Richmond (19 + 38)
North (26 + 27)
Adelaide (23 + 28)
Brisbane (21 + 34)
Geelong (17 + 36)

All of those are very close to even trades on points value. Feels like Brisbane or Geelong would be the most attractive option, but none would really give us much chance of picking up both the guys we're looking at. I think our best hope is that someone desperate for a certain player decides to overpay. So we could end up in a situation where maybe Kemp slides to us, and Geelong really wants him, so we manage to snag 17 + 24 from them instead.
I agree, but actually think we would take kemp though, we will have the choice to trade back i think if mcasey kemp Stephens Robertson are there we will take them if its weightman we will trade back to get Bergman and picket and agree geelong seems most likely, im happy with both outcomes

I agree, but actually think we would take kemp though, we will have the choice to trade back i think if mcasey kemp Stephens Robertson are there we will take them if its weightman we will trade back to get Bergman and picket and agree geelong seems most likely, im happy with both outcomes
You're probably right honestly. Best case scenario, if Kemp and McAsey weren't there but Stephens was, I'd be willing to bet that Port and Adelaide would enter a bidding war to get our pick off us. Could mean getting massive value out of it, sliding back only a few spots but bringing 53 really far forward, or banking serious points for next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Based on what?

Worrell is 100% not going outside top 20. Not a chance in hell.
Do we have Pick 13 or Pick 20? I'm not even sure why you're talking about top 20 since we have Pick 13.

Based on pretty much every power ranking right now, Worrell is not top 13 which is what matters

Do we have Pick 13 or Pick 20? I'm not even sure why you're talking about top 20 since we have Pick 13.
Because you said you'd be happy if we traded for two second rounders and picked Worrell with one.

Based on pretty much every power ranking right now, Worrell is not top 13 which is what matters
Well, that's wrong.

Because you said you'd be happy if we traded for two second rounders and picked Worrell with one.

Well, that's wrong.

You literally quoted me as saying "pretty much" - i.e. not literally every single one.

Twomey has Luke Jackson and Liam Henry after Worrell, which I doubt many would agree with.

And it is definitely not out of the question for Worrell to last into the 20s. He could go as early as Pick 12 if clubs decide to target talls specifically, and could last as far as mid 20s. You can't really make definitive statements like "Worrell is 100% not going outside top 20. Not a chance in hell." when you have no idea how the clubs will behave on draft day

You literally quoted me as saying "pretty much" - i.e. not literally every single one.

Twomey has Luke Jackson and Liam Henry after Worrell, which I doubt many would agree with.

And it is definitely not out of the question for Worrell to last into the 20s. He could go as early as Pick 12 if clubs decide to target talls specifically, and could last as far as mid 20s. You can't really make definitive statements like "Worrell is 100% not going outside top 20. Not a chance in hell." when you have no idea how the clubs will behave on draft day
bookmark it.

Don't see why Bergman or Pickett are massive reaches at 13, we're just going by all the media and chatter on here to base our opinions of that on, and every year it's off the mark. Bont was a "massive reach" at 4. If we think either of them are the best at 13 then we take them there.

Having said that if we can pull off a trade to get both of them I'd be very happy.

Just my opinion but because Power fought tooth and nail to hold pick 13, I don't think it will be traded away to anyone.
I agree, but it may be with certain players in mind (McAsey for example). Might change his tune if our biggest targets are gone. It could've been a matter of simply wanting to stay in reach of the players we really want, then opening ourselves up to a trade if things change. It would not surprise me at all though if we simply draft best available with Pick 13

Don't see why Bergman or Pickett are massive reaches at 13, we're just going by all the media and chatter on here to base our opinions of that on, and every year it's off the mark. Bont was a "massive reach" at 4. If we think either of them are the best at 13 then we take them there.

Having said that if we can pull off a trade to get both of them I'd be very happy.
Bergman is not a massive reach. Bontempelli was a bolter with a strong finish to the year, rather than a reach. He was still mostly tipped for the first round.

Pickett is a reach because he hasn't had a good enough season to justify selection at pick 13. That, and he's only 170cm.
Lewis Taylor had a far better season at U18 level at a similar height, selected at pick 28. Caleb Daniel was even better, selected at pick 46.

Bergman not so much (although I'd think somewhere towards the end of 1st round is more his range) but Pickett would be an incredible bolter if he managed to go at Pick 13. Some rate him as a 3rd round pick, while personally I'd have him mid 20s. Our best chance of getting both is trading with either Geelong or Adelaide, but it still requires things to really go our way with at least one of them sliding

Because he is a bulldogs supporter
i think this can't be understated how important this can be for the dogs that is only just starting to get decent players outside of the club that want to commit to us. i doubt we would have trouble agreeing to a contract extension with McAsey if is a fair deal.
Im looking at you Bailey Smith.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back