List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

True. He isn't the only one. We don't know if we tried to target others but it sounds strange we'd depart from a long term modus operandi of taking the best available in the first round on the basis of having Josh Bruce on our list for four years.
With the Dickson, Lloyd age demographic I see that need as having the most obvious correlation to Pick 13,
Bergman caters for that with an obvious aerial advantage, I think Trent Bianco brings some solid attributes
to the table as well.

Some interesting comments from Twomey in his latest form guide. 2 that jumped out at me:

- Clubs deep into the top 10 (after 7) are starting to believe that Hayden Young may be the top end slider and may be gettable in their range.
- If Geelong trade up in to top 10 it'll be to nab MxAsey.

clubs are scared of picking young cause they know he’ll join the dogs in 2022 to play with big bro Lachie

It's a genuinely good point.

We use pick 13 on an unproven 'talent' and there is a growing core here that would be happy for it to happen...

...Yet had we offered 13 to Essendon for AM-T and this place would have exploded.

Perspective is an interesting thing.

Money and age would have big factors in determining what pick/s we offer for AMT.

if we have put in a 'mountain' of work in Pickett, then i'd be more than happy if we select him.

With the Dickson, Lloyd age demographic I see that need as having the most obvious correlation to Pick 13,
Bergman caters for that with an obvious aerial advantage, I think Trent Bianco brings some solid attributes
to the table as well.
Would rather go for Sokol at 53 (if he's still on the board). Like-for-like Dickson replacement; has elite endurance, great overhead and a deadeye shot on goal.

to the table as well.
If we're playing 3 talls (Naughton, Bruce & Schache now - JUH later) I don't think we need a straight 'replacement' for Lloyd and Dickson. Dale has the tools to make it as that rangy marking medium forward, and one other spot is normally used by a resting mid anyway.

TBH I am not convinced Dickson plays a full season and he'll retire at the end of the year so we should have a new looking forwardline from 2020 anyway. I don't have much faith in Fergus Greene nor Caverra but one of them may surprise. Wally was a surprisingly effective forward in the back half of 2018 too.

Hypothetical: If all our likely targets are gone by our pick, would we possibly trade our 2019 first pick tonight for a 2020 first pick plus something else for next year?
No, prefer we take the highest remaining player with our pick 13.

Pick 13s have a weirdly good strike rate (although ours will probably be pick 15 after bids).

Hypothetical: If all our likely targets are gone by our pick, would we possibly trade our 2019 first pick tonight for a 2020 first pick plus something else for next year?
I doubt we would, but it's worth mentioning that the Hawks look set to trade for another 1st rounder.

They have just traded Pick 30 to North for 50, 73 and a future 2nd. The only thing preventing them from obtaining another 1st rounder is that they weren't allowed to trade their 2020 1st without trading in a 2020 2nd. Now they've done that, I'd expect the Hawks to be trying to land our pick, Geelong's at 14 or Gold Coast's at 15.

If we were offered a really good deal, we may consider it, but my money is on us just taking best available at 13

Would rather go for Sokol at 53 (if he's still on the board). Like-for-like Dickson replacement; has elite endurance, great overhead and a deadeye shot on goal.
I know Collingwood flew him over for an interview. If Sokol or (So Cool) for dog-watch is a target then we
should split picks 13 & 53 into mid-range picks. Pick 53 is very get lucky this year, but we will see in the
fullness of time when they raise the "Cone of silence". I am not overly fussed as we nailed trade week
already everything else is a bonus.

I know Collingwood flew him over for an interview. If Sokol or (So Cool) for dog-watch is a target then we
should split picks 13 & 53 into mid-range picks. Pick 53 is very get lucky this year, but we will see in the
fullness of time when they raise the "Cone of silence". I am not overly fussed as we nailed trade week
already everything else is a bonus.
If our intent is to draft Bergman or Pickett, I see no issue with approaching another club for a deal like 13 + 53 <-> 19 + 38 (Richmond) or 17 + 36 (Geelong). Bergman should still be around at those earlier picks, and if he's not then we just take Pickett. Also sets us up to grab Sokol so long as Collingwood doesn't take him at 35, but I'd think they're more likely to target Riccardi who is the real KPF (rather than Sokol who is the LeCras/Membrey type who plays bigger than their height suggests)

My dream scenario:

It gets to pick 13 and a highly rated player we don't particularly love is still available (say Dev Robertson).

A couple of clubs with stockpiled picks offer us trades, but a desperate Norf go with 26&27 for 13&53 with the massive sweetener of trading 1st rounders next year.

We take the punt, get 2 guys we rate highly in Pickett and Rivers.

Next year we get the fun of death riding North as their fortunes plummet and they crash to a spoon.

Meanwhile, Marra utterly dominates the U18 season to be the clearest #1 selection in years.

The rest of the competition looks on in envy as we claim the 2nd best candidate at pick 1 and then match on JUH at 2.

Now that would be a satisfying use of pick 13.

My dream scenario:

It gets to pick 13 and a highly rated player we don't particularly love is still available (say Dev Robertson).

A couple of clubs with stockpiled picks offer us trades, but a desperate Norf go with 26&27 for 13&53 with the massive sweetener of trading 1st rounders next year.

We take the punt, get 2 guys we rate highly in Pickett and Rivers.

Next year we get the fun of death riding North as their fortunes plummet and they crash to a spoon.

Meanwhile, Marra utterly dominates the U18 season to be the clearest #1 selection in years.

The rest of the competition looks on in envy as we claim the 2nd best candidate at pick 1 and then match on JUH at 2.

Now that would be a satisfying use of pick 13.
Now the actual result whatever it may be won't live up to this :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we do this, we still have to take 3 in this year's draft. Best case scenario: promote Roarke Smith with pick 120-whatever and I think we have to offer 2year contract minimum.

You still want to go with that option?

If our intent is to draft Bergman or Pickett, I see no issue with approaching another club for a deal like 13 + 53 <-> 19 + 38 (Richmond) or 17 + 36 (Geelong). Bergman should still be around at those earlier picks, and if he's not then we just take Pickett. Also sets us up to grab Sokol so long as Collingwood doesn't take him at 35, but I'd think they're more likely to target Riccardi who is the real KPF (rather than Sokol who is the LeCras/Membrey type who plays bigger than their height suggests)
But if Bergman/pickett/anyone we really want is gone by the time we pick at 21+ then :'(

The HeraldSun just released a phantom draft can someone get through the paywall and post it cheers
Here you go

Sam Landsberger and Jay Clark's predicted AFL draft top 14

Gold Coast 1. Matt Rowell (Oakleigh Chargers, 180cm midfielder)
Gold Coast 2. Noah Anderson (Oakleigh Chargers, 191cm midfield-forward)
Melbourne 3. Luke Jackson (East Fremantle, 199cm ruckman)
GWS 4. Lachie Ash (Murray Bushrangers, 186cm halfback)
GWS 5. Tom Green* (GWS academy, 191cm midfielder)
Sydney 6. Sam Flanders (Gippsland Power, 182cm midfielder)
Adelaide 7. Fischer McAsey (Sandringham Dragons, 197cm defender)
Fremantle 8. Hayden Young (Dandenong Stingrays, 188cm halfback)
Melbourne 9. Demons will trade this pick to another club
Carlton 10. Caleb Serong (Gippsland Power, 179cm midfield-forward)
Fremantle 11. Deven Robertson (Perth, 184cm midfielder)
Hawthorn 12. Brodie Kemp (Bendigo Pioneers, 193cm defender)
Port Adelaide 13. Dylan Stephens (Norwood, 183cm midfielder)
Western Bulldogs 14. Miles Bergman (Sandringham Dragons, 189cm utility)
*GWS matches Sydney’s bid for Green, pushing the order back one

Herald sun phantom draft:
Adelaide is the suprise, they are saying that they were eying McAsey at pick 4 and will still be able to get him at pick 6.

Gold Coast 1. Matt Rowell (Oakleigh Chargers, 180cm midfielder)
Gold Coast 2. Noah Anderson (Oakleigh Chargers, 191cm midfield-forward)
Melbourne 3. Luke Jackson (East Fremantle, 199cm ruckman)
GWS 4. Lachie Ash (Murray Bushrangers, 186cm halfback)
GWS 5. Tom Green* (GWS academy, 191cm midfielder)
Sydney 6. Sam Flanders (Gippsland Power, 182cm midfielder)
Adelaide 7. Fischer McAsey (Sandringham Dragons, 197cm defender)
Fremantle 8. Hayden Young (Dandenong Stingrays, 188cm halfback)
Melbourne 9. Demons will trade this pick to another club
Carlton 10. Caleb Serong (Gippsland Power, 179cm midfield-forward)
Fremantle 11. Deven Robertson (Perth, 184cm midfielder)
Hawthorn 12. Brodie Kemp (Bendigo Pioneers, 193cm defender)
Port Adelaide 13. Dylan Stephens (Norwood, 183cm midfielder)
Western Bulldogs 14. Miles Bergman (Sandringham Dragons, 189cm utility)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back