No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who cares about Bmac...Stringer is going to play midfield for Essendon (he's blitzing pre season once again) and Adams came second in the Lions time trial - I don't know what to think about that...are the lions midfield slow plodders or did Specimen hide in the bushes and jump out o n the last lap?

I blame McCartney for climate change, the Iran crisis... and oh and breaking up the Beatles. Splitter!

Seriously though, it is hard to fathom how he was just such a sh1t coach. Not bad, not awful, not deplorable, but actually totally sh1t. I’m sure he must have some redeeming qualities as a person, but as a professional employed by a sporting organisation to manage its onfield assets and develop a positive culture, he failed across the board.
To the point that preceding him out the door in the space of weeks in late 2014 were:
- our best player and captain, pick 3 and 200+ games
- a pick 1 and Brownlow medallist, 200+ games
- a first round pick who, regardless of people’s opinions, has proven subsequently at North he is still a high quality footballer, 100+ games

Would be fascinating for someone like a Murph or Picko to write a warts and all expose of what the mood was like at the time, of the playing group and wider club. Imagine if Bevo didn’t come along and we continued meandering along with another less capable coach from 2015... 😲. Where would we be now?

Cooney wanted to stay and was forced out. Not sure how seriously we wanted to keep Higgins either.
Jones, Tutt and Griffin we all wanted to keep.

We were better off without all of them. Case closed

Yep, looking back the only one we would probably take back is Higgins. He's been a gun for North. He's a touch slow though, and wouldn't be an upgrade on our first on-ball rotation. Instead of Mclean or Bailey Smith in that high half forward/second mid rotation he would be handy though. Jones has done well for himself, but I wouldn't have him ahead of Keath, and probably on a par with Trengove, Young, Cordy et al. Griffen was a gun when he left, then played 55 mostly mediocre games in 4 years. Haven't missed him at all.

Higgins was more trouble than he was worth. Yes he can play footy, but the attitude and finger pointing isn't a good look. He wasn't hard enough and those guys only get you so far. IMO he was just there for the paychecks, didn't have the passion.

Won't win anything at Norf either

Higgins was more trouble than he was worth. Yes he can play footy, but the attitude and finger pointing isn't a good look. He wasn't hard enough and those guys only get you so far. IMO he was just there for the paychecks, didn't have the passion.

Won't win anything at Norf either

We give poor Higgins less credit than he is due. I am sure he has won a hardball in one of his many Souf highlight videos.... not sure which video or year but it had something like 10 minutes of close ups, multiple angles and commentary about how hard he went. He went ‘really hard’ apparently.

Higgins has been excellent for North, two best & fairests don't lie. He's matured in the latter part of his career. He was treated poorly by BMac, asked to play a role he didn't enjoy.

Higgins has been excellent for North, two best & fairests don't lie. He's matured in the latter part of his career. He was treated poorly by BMac, asked to play a role he didn't enjoy.

Poor little guy

Asked to play on another position to help the team out how terrible is that treatment.

Forget the games he missed through “injury” and then he abandoned the club the first chance he got to go to Norf to win a flag.

Couldn’t stand the sook when he played for us and he suits Norf to the ground. Only looks good In their team because they are shite

Poor little guy

Asked to play on another position to help the team out how terrible is that treatment.

Forget the games he missed through “injury” and then he abandoned the club the first chance he got to go to Norf to win a flag.

Couldn’t stand the sook when he played for us and he suits Norf to the ground. Only looks good In their team because they are shite
The part about leaving to win a flag at North isn't true.

There are a few articles where he speaks about that specifically, and alluding to the main reason why he left being that McCartney was pushing him out (including dropping him late in the season). The club may have been justified in doing that given his career was stagnating at the time, but he's definitely improved since leaving. He's won 2 BnFs and also finished 3rd in a season where they made a prelim.

There are a few articles where he speaks about that specifically, and alluding to the main reason why he left being that McCartney was pushing him out (including dropping him late in the season). The club may have been justified in doing that given his career was stagnating at the time, but he's definitely improved since leaving.
Win/win.
He's a quality player but wouldn't be playing the same role with us as he is for North. He gets to extend his career in his preferred position.
We couldn't get Adams on the paddock, and last year the best medicos in the game at the Lions couldn't get him going until late in the season.

We're as well placed on and off the field as any time in Bulldogs supporting life, save for one day in October 2016. For the players we've lost, we've brought in some real quality and kept out first round picks the past few years. Even the year we won the flag we brought in a kid who is arguably the best developing ruck in the competition. Knightmare still has Bailey Smith ahead of Walsh (and Rowell this year). Naughton led the comp in contested marks last year in the H&A season as a 19 year old in an unfamiliar position.

I'll take losing a couple of senior players any day given the players we've gained in the past couple of years, and we haven't even seen Bruce and Keath roll out as yet.

The first part is true, not sure about the treated poorly part and being asked to play a role you dont enjoy is part of footy. If that's the case, needed serious maturing.

There are a few articles where he speaks about that specifically, and alluding to the main reason why he left being that McCartney was pushing him out (including dropping him late in the season). The club may have been justified in doing that given his career was stagnating at the time, but he's definitely improved since leaving. He's won 2 BnFs and also finished 3rd in a season where they made a prelim.

Sorry he did an interview on the news after his trade and said he had chosen Norf as they were in flag contention in his opinion.

Im no supporter of Macca but like Brian Lake, Higgins wasn’t trying on field or on the track as he was moved to a position he didn’t like.

I’ve no problem anyone leaving for more money but to phone it in and then lie about reasons you leave I can’t stand

I called him pea heart when he played for us and I’m rapt he will end his career winning nothing

Sorry he did an interview on the news after his trade and said he had chosen Norf as they were in flag contention in his opinion.

Im no supporter of Macca but like Brian Lake, Higgins wasn’t trying on field or on the track as he was moved to a position he didn’t like.

I’ve no problem anyone leaving for more money but to phone it in and then lie about reasons you leave I can’t stand

I called him pea heart when he played for us and I’m rapt he will end his career winning nothing
Anything I've read of him talking about leaving the Bulldogs was about there being no guarantees in football and to go to North thinking he'd win a flag would be a false hope.

Anyway, who knows, it doesn't really matter anyway. He was finished at the Dogs and in the end we won a flag and he got his paycheck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had the good fortune to watch Danny McGinlay do his thing in Bendigo last night.....very very funny.....the show is called "A day at Cheyrbnol"....got to have a quick chat after the show and he is still a passionate Bulldog supporter....if you get to see his show you want be disappointed....in case you need a reminder of some of his banners - https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...nAhXWdn0KHYRACtAQsAR6BAgJEAE&biw=1517&bih=694

The amazing thing about their relationship breaking down was that they were both from the same local club (Newtown&CFNC) in the Geelong league and Macca was mates with Shaun’s dad and knew him growing up.

Had the good fortune to watch Danny McGinlay do his thing in Bendigo last night.....very very funny.....the show is called "A day at Cheyrbnol"....got to have a quick chat after the show and he is still a passionate Bulldog supporter....if you get to see his show you want be disappointed....in case you need a reminder of some of his banners - https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...nAhXWdn0KHYRACtAQsAR6BAgJEAE&biw=1517&bih=694

Yep - he was at the PF last year - I lined up behind him for a beer.

Good news. I like him as a player

Me too, just a likeable bloke I reckon. Liked him when he was only breaking into the team & Demons fans wanted to get rid of him as he was “too injury prone”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back