Training 2020 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

22 Players performing at their best each week should see us win more than we lose.
Thats close to playing Finals.
I dont care who is Elite if the above happens
I think they would have to play out of their skins for us to get into the 8 this year

Sorry mate but pretty confident about this year and going forward myself only provisos that injury treats us
kindly .
Thats cool , the thing i always ask myself , who are we going to knock out of the 8 to get in , its pretty easy to say we will make the 8

Lol no necks.
They all ook like Gladstone Small
Lybk0kI.gif

I do that too , but am confident providing injuries stay away .
The bummers look the ones to drop out but the hawks could easily take their spot or higher , they beat about 4 or 5 of the top 8 in the last 8 rounds from memory
I just think next year will be our big year to rise up , imagine another year in Clark, Coff, King, Bytel , Dougie, Gresh , Billings, Marshall, Battle , Doults and they are only the young ones , I have faith in our list but i just dont think its going to happen this year .
You only need to look at the teams people are picking for round 1 , there are so many different players picked which indicates its just personal preference , it should be so much more clear cut as to who should be in the team , when that starts to happen you know we have got the team to challenge IMO

What do people think is Nick Hind's best position?

I know he was playing a running HBF role when we drafted him, and he ended up playing a small forward role by the end of the year, but we have bigger name players for both of those spots: Roberton / Coffield / Wilkie / Savage for HBF, and Gresham / Butler / Kent / Lonie for small forward.

I really liked his pace running through the centre and his delivery into the forwards last year, so would like to see a bit of him in the seniors in 2020.

Also, Coffield? Permanent HBF, or will we see him running through the midfield and wing this year?

Thats cool , the thing i always ask myself , who are we going to knock out of the 8 to get in , its pretty easy to say we will make the 8
Just need to win 12 or 13 games and the rest looks after itself.

Can't say I'm extremely confident that will happen though.

Last edited:
Doesnt work that way. Just because a team finished in the eight in 2019 does not mean it will be one of the best teams in 2020, At this stage the final 8 for 2020 is wide open.

Doesnt work that way. Just because a team finished in the eight in 2019 does not mean it will be one of the best teams in 2020, At this stage the final 8 for 2020 is wide open.
Thanks for that Barry , well you tell me who is going to drop out , love your input
Wide open , thats a stretch mate , id say the last two spots at most are open

I would like to see Coffield get some midfield time this season, and of course Clark. Hind, Parker, Kent and Butler and Lonie are all fighting for a spot. I imagine Butler might get first go.
Would like to see Coffield be our backline general for the next 10 years similar to what Hodge did so well for so long

I would like to see Coffield get some midfield time this season, and of course Clark. Hind, Parker, Kent and Butler and Lonie are all fighting for a spot. I imagine Butler might get first go.
Butler first go as mid ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know he was playing a running HBF role when we drafted him, and he ended up playing a small forward role by the end of the year, but we have bigger name players for both of those spots: Roberton / Coffield / Wilkie / Savage for HBF, and Gresham / Butler / Kent / Lonie for small forward.

I really liked his pace running through the centre and his delivery into the forwards last year, so would like to see a bit of him in the seniors in 2020.

Also, Coffield? Permanent HBF, or will we see him running through the midfield and wing this year?
I hope so , take a look through teams and see the guns that play off half back setting up the play , i think thats where he will be at his best once he gets a bit more confidence to take the game on AKA Zac Williams style

Butler is a cream on the top player- finishes off the work done up field, and probably has a HFF position nailed. Kent can do a few roles and may still show his worth. Hind can play a couple of positions and his speed is an asset. Lonie if played as a small forward, will just need to use his smarts and keep kicking goals to keep his place, and I'm not sure about Parker and Coff yet

Great article knows his stuff, but I think he was a bit tough on Carlisle. I think Jake's back injury was a lot more debilitating than most knew. Let's judge him on this years season now he is back to 100%.

I really like Hind probably best at HFF. He gets amongst the goals, lowers his eyes and hits up targets inside 50, has good forward pressure and is lightning quick. Thought he did very well in that spot and the bonus is he has the flexibility to rotate thru HBF and Wing.

Thought Coff started to look very good of HBF at the tail end of last year. Probably be best to play him off there. Very silky, with good pace, evasive skills, hits up targets and is pretty good in the air - i think he could transition to wing or outside mid tho

Hi all, just feedback from my son. Apparent Jack Mayo is a real deadeye - Jason Heatley like!!
At yesterday's training - He had 20 shots from around 40m range into the wind - and kicked 19 goals!! Blew everyone away. Beautiful kick of the footy..
2sRg2PK.jpg

Great article knows his stuff, but I think he was a bit tough on Carlisle. I think Jake's back injury was a lot more debilitating than most knew. Let's judge him on this years season now he is back to 100%.

He seems a bit laconic does Snake. I reckon he's given the impression he doesn't have much urgency or love of footy. He looks like he coasts, it's pretty understandable when you go most weeks expecting to lose and you are really just trying to patch holes to stop the leaking rather than get a win. That's the good thing about mass changes. It really shakes the rug underneath everyone and resets the energy levels and enthusiasm.

I would say our playing list isn't much better this year but it sounds as though the mentality is really changing. Under Richo there was not a lot of joy about the way we played our footy. The only thing you could hang you hat on was the poor list playing above their level through hard grinding labour. It's a good narrative but it's a go no where story and until you get players of quality and a brand of footy that is about wins not stopping losses, you don't win many fans.

Please get behind this if unaware.

Wouldn't mind the Panther's boots. Might have to chuck something on them. I couldn't see the link, I'll have a look tonight and try to have a bid.

I reckon Hind would be best used as a high half fwd. Use him 50- 80m from goal, get up to the contest then use his speed to break fwd with the ball. As said, he lowers his eyes and the fwds would lead with confidence he would try to spot them up

Coff half back this year with occasional bursts in the mid. Next year he should be aiming to transition more into the midfield. Big boy with beautiful skills. Reckon he could be a weapon in the midfield but doubt he's ready yet

Hi all, just feedback from my son. Apparent Jack Mayo is a real deadeye - Jason Heatley like!!
At yesterday's training - He had 20 shots from around 40m range into the wind - and kicked 19 goals!! Blew everyone away. Beautiful kick of the footy..
Dont worry we will knock that out him quick smart

Remove this Banner Ad

Back