Health Coronavirus 2020 / Worldwide (Stats live update in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Said 3 weeks ago they were f’ed

They were taking the piss out of it like we are today

The world has taken this so lightly its beyone a joke
And the frustrating thing is you just know they're going to run with "Nobody could have known, unforseen tragedy", while sweeping under the rug the fact that measures taken in Asia itself which have mitigated this so much were taken while they were still minimizing and downplaying it.

Say what you like about China, at least their government doesn't seem to actually buy into their exceptionalism propaganda themselves.

An Italian dies every 2 minutes from it. They had almost 1000 deaths just yesterday. It's spiralling even further for them.
Its madness and it has a 1 minute segment, hourly on the media

Whilst we are too busy talking about AFL and whether it will go on, toilet paper, etc.

Show some of the pictures in hospitals on the news and it will scare dumb campaigners straight

And the frustrating thing is you just know they're going to run with "Nobody could have known, unforseen tragedy", while sweeping the measures taken in Asia itself which have mitigated this so much were taken while they were still minimizing and downplaying it.

Say what you like about China, at least their government doesn't seem to actually buy into their exceptionalism propaganda themselves.

First people have started dying in Singapore so even though there's a lot of praise for their measures, they're not immune to this either.

Just a reminder for when ScoMo tries to claim he did everything he could from the start:
"I know more about viruses than I care to know and I'm shaking hands with everyone," the Prime Minister was heard to say.
Accused by some of being cavalier, Morrison rightly says he's just following the doctors' orders. It was the chief medical officers who decided this weekend's sports and conferences could continue.
They also advise that people only need to get tested if they start showing symptoms, and only need to self-isolate if they've been in close contact with an infected person "while they were ill" or in the preceding 24 hours.

Give it too families on low incomes, young individuals who are renting and living pay cheque to pay check, etc
The major problem is that identifying those groups and physically getting the money to them is a fairly cumbersome process, especially when you want to pump money into the economy quickly. The usual process is to assess and distribute it as part of people’s annual tax return, which takes months.

If you give the money to identified groups that are currently receiving Centrelink payments, it’s all very straightforward and you can have the money being spent in shops by next Thursday.

The major problem is that identifying those groups and physically getting the money to them is a fairly cumbersome process, especially when you want to pump money into the economy quickly. The usual process is to assess and distribute it as part of people’s annual tax return, which takes months.

If you give the money to identified groups that are currently receiving Centrelink payments, it’s all very straightforward and you can have the money being spent in shops by next Thursday.
Its pretty obvious this bracket would be people on taxable incomes of say 50k-80k

Implement a stimulus payment of say 1k for that bracket as part of it

Im no expert on economics but it seems this bracket is getting screwed over as they usually do

That cruise ship in Japan was locked down over a month ago. Why are cruise ships still at sea? Why are people still taking cruises? What's wrong with these people?

Cheap holiday for those who don’t understand how bad this virus can become if not handled correctly, or more likely they don’t give a s**t as they are young and healthy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Deaths rapidly outpacing recoveries in the US, extremely concerning for them over there. My impression is that their medical system barely copes with just normal circumstances, and I fear this is going to be horrific for them.
and then there will be the ones who survive and get the bill and go bankrupt

Am I right in reading the Jobseeker’s Allowance has doubled? I’d hope that’s only for people falling out of full time work and not for the bums who take pride in receiving it.

$1100 a fortnight is insane, there are apprentices and low skilled workers out there who’d quit for less.

I'm not sure but it might mean they expect prices to go through the roof?

Its pretty obvious this bracket would be people on taxable incomes of say 50k-80k
Sure, but how do you know who that is when nobody’s filed tax returns recently? How do you get the money to them right now when the bank and address details they supplied when last filing are potentially 6-12 months out of date?

Centrelink recipients are required to keep their information up to date with the federal government on a week to week basis, so the logistics of putting money into their hands at short notice is very easy.

I’m all for giving middle income earners a break, but that’s not the primary goal of this policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back