Should I have the right to a club membership refund?

Remove this Banner Ad

Then don’t call me in the first place. I’m over these calls. Sure it’s a directive but use common sense before calling someone and perhaps don’t do it 3 weeks after the suspension of a season...

Doesn't excuse you from being a dickhead to someone just trying to do their job. If they call again just say in a polite manner that you don't want any further calls and will be following up on a refund. The person calling you can't and won't give you a refund anyway. Just be civil.

Why are you so angry?
I expect the players from my club to come back as fit as ever and entertain me on the weekends. They won’t be doing that with an 85% pay decrease.
angry???,its fact,and players should "entertain" you just as much no matter what they are being paid.

Doesn't excuse you from being a dickhead to someone just trying to do their job. If they call again just say in a polite manner that you don't want any further calls and will be following up on a refund. The person calling you can't and won't give you a refund anyway. Just be civil.

Each to them own. As I said I don’t care about the money I have more money in investments than a membership. What I do care about is the principle that clubs think they are charities and get to gouge members at every opportunity. I’m not even asking for a refund- a credit in 2021 is fine and it’s a compromise.

Each to them own. As I said I don’t care about the money I have more money in investments than a membership. What I do care about is the principle that clubs think they are charities and get to gouge members at every opportunity. I’m not even asking for a refund- a credit in 2021 is fine and it’s a compromise.

Not each to their own, just don't be a dickhead on the phone to someone simply trying to do their job.

All club members should have access to a refund.

Appreciate that it impacts club cash flows, but the players are taking 50% pay cuts (paid from the AFL centrally IIRC) and staff are being let go. Club expenses aren't going to be 100% of planned.

If I was a club CEO I'd be writing to all members thanking them for their support and offering discounts for 2021 for anyone who pays at least a partial membership fee in 2020 to flatten out cashflow.

Email from Hawthorn CEO just now

No mention of halting membership payments or returning any money

I don’t begrudge anyone that wants a refund but I’d expect them to lose their consecutive years of membership. I am lucky to got to 1 or 2 games a year. It’s not always about game access.

But I don't live and breathe Caltex in their rivalry with Shell. I couldn't give a rats if Caltex closed down tomorrow. It's different.
That’s because your business is with your club
There’s a few billion people who don’t give a s**t about Carlton vs Collingwood
Or even know who they are to care about them closing down.
Live and die by ones own decisions but don’t cast a different thinker

That’s because your business is with your club
There’s a few billion people who don’t give a s**t about Carlton vs Collingwood
Or even know who they are to care about them closing down.
Live and die by ones own decisions but don’t cast a different thinker
Lol but the people who dont give a s**t about Carlton and Collingwood are unaffected by memberships $$ because they arent paying anything, whereas I would be affected by Caltex overcharging me. s**t analogy.

All club members should have access to a refund.

Appreciate that it impacts club cash flows, but the players are taking 50% pay cuts (paid from the AFL centrally IIRC) and staff are being let go. Club expenses aren't going to be 100% of planned.

If I was a club CEO I'd be writing to all members thanking them for their support and offering discounts for 2021 for anyone who pays at least a partial membership fee in 2020 to flatten out cashflow.
What if they give you a refund but it means you lose your seat and are put at the back of the 5-10yr waitlist?

Nisbet said in one of his emails that until they know what the fixture will be, they cant offer refunds yet. I take this to mean the door is open to refunding the two or three home games we lose with a 17 rnd season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dear Scott,

When the brown and gold family stick together, Hawthorn is indestructible.

As we tackle this current challenge, the retention of you, our club members, is vital. You are the heart and soul of our family and with your support Hawthorn will not only survive, it will thrive.

I have been blown away by the number of members who have pledged their unwavering support during this time. Many have renewed or joined, and some have generously offered donations on top of their memberships to help see the club through.

Rest assured, none of these actions go unnoticed. We are all in this together and your support will ensure that your children, grandchildren and future generations will forever experience the same thrill and passion for the Hawks that you do today.

We acknowledge that we are not the only ones hurting right now. All of our family will be feeling the effects of Covid-19 in one way or another. For any of you with questions or queries regarding your membership, our membership department remains open and ready to take your calls.

Unfortunately, I cannot provide clarity on when we will return to football. However, I can be transparent around our planning and intentions. At this stage the AFL plans to complete all 144 remaining games of the 2020 season, plus finals. When and where these games are played remains up in the air, but rest assured we have every intention of competing for all available premiership points as soon as it’s safe to do so.

We will continue to update you as information comes to hand, particularly with regard to the impact on and options for our members. We will also continue to entertain and engage with you via our website and social media channels.

Right now, the battle for our health must remain the number one priority. So please, stay at home.

If you’re struggling for activities to keep yourself, housemates or kids entertained, I have a few suggestions; why not try a game of Hawthorn Monopoly or pop on the 1989 Grand Final or the three-peat box set?

And if ever the weight of the current situation is weighing heavy – take a moment to picture this; the final siren sounds in a jam-packed MCG, filled to the brim with a sea of brown and gold, as Hawthorn make it two wins in a row in season 2020.

I get goose bumps just thinking about it. It might seem a long way off, but we will get there, and when we do it’ll be well worth the wait.

Stay safe and take care,

46186355-0ff8-4b6b-825e-f2fa6712a255.png

Justin Reeves
Chief Executive Officer

Hawthorn Football Club

Great fan you are!

People like us posting on a footy forum obviously live and breathe footy. Regardless of going to games a few hundred dollars each year is pretty cheap when its your entertainment and all you talk about for 6 months.

Your line of argument might hold some sway if the clubs and the AFL hadn't treated the fans with absolute contempt over the last few decades. They've continually sold out the fans by chasing the corporate dollars and riding the gravy train and now that some chickens are coming home to roost the corporates have hightailed it and they've come cap in hand back to the fans. Stuff 'em. Unless they want to enshrine some rights for supporters (such as reducing the cost of finals tickets for members for a start) then I have no sympathy for them.

"Should I have the right to a club membership refund?"

Yes. However, you are bailing out when your club most needs you. That said everybody is in a different situation and I would not begrudge anybody for asking for a refund. I'm not going to do it myself, I, in fact, may double down and buy another one.

The AFL has done a magnificent job in recent years - all clubs were never going to build their businesses at the same pace. However, all clubs are in freefall the more memberships each club can save the softer the landing. Ultimately then the better chance of your club surviving in both short and long term is going to come down to you and fellow supporters.

Your line of argument might hold some sway if the clubs and the AFL hadn't treated the fans with absolute contempt over the last few decades. They've continually sold out the fans by chasing the corporate dollars and riding the gravy train and now that some chickens are coming home to roost the corporates have hightailed it and they've come cap in hand back to the fans. Stuff 'em. Unless they want to enshrine some rights for supporters (such as reducing the cost of finals tickets for members for a start) then I have no sympathy for them.
#skifields

#cheeseplatters #SoftAsButter

The thing that annoys me the most is the total lack of information being given to fans. As an AFL member all they have done is say we are still taking money out or you can defer them and that's it. I mean what does deferring mean in the long run?. Oh BTW the office is now closed. I would have thought they could afford to stay open at least 2 more weeks to sort out this kinda thing. What they needed to do was stop payments until they knew what was happening. I'm happy to give the club membership to the club but not happy to hand AFL money for nothing.

Nice message today from the AFL Commish. Laying the supporter loyalty angle on thick. I genuinely love that some people in this thread are reminding the AFL how they have been screwing the supporter for years. Long memories and an axe to grind. Deserves a thread on its own.:)

If anything positive comes out of this, the real supporters may get some more loyalty shown their way, a bit more than nice cheap words. Money talks though so maybe not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back